Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 AM   #41
soulmate

Re: The Weapon Thread Part 2
Hope I haven't overread it, but a flamethrower like in Duke Nukem - Time to Kill would be awesome! And of course keep the tripmines
The Zapper was cool , too, in time to kill ...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:33 PM   #42
Deicide

I would like rip some aliens ass verticaly
Old 09-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #43
Commando Nukem

Irritated Re: The Weapon Thread Part 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kien View Post
What does a shotgun do compared to a rocket?
What kind of Rocket system? Rockets aren't for anti personal use. They are used against tanks and other armored vehicles.

Quote:
I'm sick of that shotguns in games are so unpropotionally powerful. And that they have such spread like they were all sawed-off.
Duke's shotgun is a short barreled shotgun, it would have a wide spread. Shorter barrel = wider spread and closer range.

Quote:
Radom question: Isn't a heavy machinegunus more powerful than a shotgunus?
Thats such a general question. A heavy machine gun as in what? Something mounted on a Tank or a Blackhawk? Yeah, it's more powerful, but I wouldn't (and you couldn't) use one of those in close quarter fights because A. They're often too heavy to carry, and B. They're clumsy as Hell. If you're referring to something like the SAW M249 or M60 then, for their role they are stronger then a shotgun. Shotguns are designed for clearing rooms. Thats what they do best. Machineguns lay down suppressing and covering fire best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_hunter View Post
What caliber for the machine gun ?
See thats really not even the point. If you have an M249 or something and you're spraying down a pack of badguys you're obviously dealing out "more power" but you lose the power when you try to take a big ass weapon into a tight room.

This is why talking half-assed about reality is dumb, because Duke Nukem doesn't deal in reality. He deals in his own badass style. He can carry a minigun like its a paper weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apokalypsis View Post
Well.. They aren't even so powerful as in Real life
Shotguns are a devastating anti-personal weapon. I remember seeing an image of a man who lost basically the majority of his facial features to a shotgun blast. I still shake my head and wonder how you even survive that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apokalypsis View Post
Just thought, that would be cool if they innovate a little bit and have a 3 or 4 barrel shotgun instead of the old ones.
Nah, lets stick with the classic pistol gripped shotgun from Duke3D.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #44
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commando Nukem View Post
What kind of Rocket system? Rockets aren't for anti personal use. They are used against tanks and other armored vehicles.
Eh what has the purpose of the weapon in the quesiton have to do with the question?? Take just some common anti-tank rocket. RPG-7

Quote:
]
Thats such a general question. A heavy machine gun as in what? Something mounted on a Tank or a Blackhawk? Yeah, it's more powerful, but I wouldn't (and you couldn't) use one of those in close quarter fights because A. They're often too heavy to carry, and B. They're clumsy as Hell. If you're referring to something like the SAW M249 or M60 then, for their role they are stronger then a shotgun. Shotguns are designed for clearing rooms. Thats what they do best. Machineguns lay down suppressing and covering fire best.
The definition for a heavy machine gun is something that shoots 12,7mm ammo... or bigger. Still their function is completly irrelevant to the question. Seriosuly, it's a question about if you put the barrel to the torso of a human and shoots 1 shot which leaves the biggest wound?? And if you like, take a 12-gauge shotgun if you need to be very specific, I think that's a common gauge.

Last edited by Kien; 09-02-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:33 PM   #45
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Eh what has the purpose of the weapon in the quesiton have to do with the question?? Take just some common anti-tank rocket. RPG-7
Because the way you USE the weapon is just as important as the weapon itself. If you try to fire a rocket launcher in a bathroom its effectiveness drops because it'll kill you TOO, where as a shotgun will splatter the enemies guts acrossed the tiling.

Quote:
The definition for a heavy machine gun is something that shoots 12,7mm ammo... or bigger. Still their function is completly irrelevant to the question. Seriosuly, it's a question about if you put the barrel to the torso of a human and shoots 1 shot which leaves the biggest wound?? And if you like, take a 12-gauge shotgun if you need to be very specific, I think that's a common gauge.

If you put a shotgun or a heavy machinegun to someones torso the effect will more or less be the same. Ground Beef.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:54 AM   #46
doomed

Quote:
Basic fps guns:
Pistol, shotgun, auto rifle, rocket launcher, hand grenade, flamethrower, sniper rifle, eventually grenade launcher.
And lets not forget "Energy" Weapons and super mass area of effect/one hit kill weapons with hard as hell to find ammo.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #47
soulmate

How about lighting up a cigar an burn the enemies with it ..as some sort of melee-attack
Old 09-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #48
Antikorper
Shrapnel grenadelauncher - hell yeah... that is what i would use to clear a room.

also a singleshot flamethrower or a flamegrenade would be cool... And i mean something with a huge flameball. Something that is effective against a normal sized building.

Flamethrower that releases all its contents instantly and produces a huge firestorm (you would have to reload another canister) and a grenade that will make about the same size of a fireball
Old 09-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #49
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kien
Basic fps guns:
Pistol, shotgun, auto rifle, rocket launcher, hand grenade, flamethrower, sniper rifle, eventually grenade launcher.
And lets not forget "Energy" Weapons and super mass area of effect/one hit kill weapons with hard as hell to find ammo.
I know I forgot 1 or 2. A constant beam energy rifle and something that shoots long bolts to nail oponents to walls are something I considers standard too.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #50
Dark Angel

To George and 3D Realms. I just played Half life 2 and Portal. I thought the gravity gun and the portal gun were awesome. I liked the suped up version of the gravity gun that let you grab guys and throw them into other bad guys. The portal gun was very creative and a useful way to get around. I hope DNF has some weapons/tools like these.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #51
Kien

I hope God will throw the device of HL2 to hell.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #52
hark
I'm wondering if there will be any non-lethal weaponry to supplement the lethal weaponry. I know Duke is about kicking ass but having weapons that do effects other than reduce enemy health could add great variety to combat. No One Lives Forever 2 had an excellent range of non-lethal weaponry (bear trap, banana peel, stun grenade, and such). Of course the non-lethal weapons won't be as silly as a banana but I could see how things like fire extinguishers could fit in (spray to blind enemies).
Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #53
Blade Runner 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hark View Post
I'm wondering if there will be any non-lethal weaponry to supplement the lethal weaponry. I know Duke is about kicking ass but having weapons that do effects other than reduce enemy health could add great variety to combat. No One Lives Forever 2 had an excellent range of non-lethal weaponry (bear trap, banana peel, stun grenade, and such). Of course the non-lethal weapons won't be as silly as a banana but I could see how things like fire extinguishers could fit in (spray to blind enemies).
For the most part, I'd have to strongly disagree with you. I think Duke is a little more about straight-up action than adding little pansy "realistic" elements like nonlethal weapons.(ignore my snootiness here)

However, I could see a flash-bang grenade fitting in the game mostly because of it's cool effects. Say you throw one into a room full of aliens. If you stand too close to where you throw it, the world will be white for a couple of seconds, and you may end up screwing yourself. But that just assumed you happen to be close to the aliens yourself.

As for other weapons like pepper spray and fire extingushers, I think they would suck balls. I don't want to to cut off aliens' air or stun them for a few seconds, I want to blow their ugly brains out.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #54
Kien

Paralyzing weapons are oki me thinks.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:50 AM   #55
Antikorper
A safe reverse shrinkray... you could expand yourself into a giant and then kick some ass.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:47 AM   #56
Chip

Has anything been said on how many weapons may actually be in the game?
I don't want a few or if a lot then not just all modern style weapons - I want loads and crazy imaginative weapons. Think Turok and Turok 2.

Anyway:

Some king of teleporter type gun where you can tag an object (or even an enemy) and its held in sub space....basically not here in our world.
Using the weapon again will recall the object back into this world and have it placed down quite a few steps in front of you. (but not too far)
Ways of using this gun could be like using the gun on a Battlelord (sending it away) then using the gun again when you're standing on the edge of a cliff facing nothing but a large abyss......the Battlelord is teleported back into the world and a small distance away from you.....but.... oh dear, there's nothing in front of you to stand on, looks like this Battlelord is left to fall to its doom. Bye bye!

The distance the objects are ported back in are always the same and the angle is based on your z aiming so if you look up in the air and use the gun to re-teleport something back in then that object will be in mid air and comes crashing to the ground. So here's another play with this weapon: Oh look, a car "zzap", its gone. Hey, look - Lizard troopers, aim up a bit and then zzap again - a second later we now have some squashed Troopers under a car.
Last edited by Chip; 09-13-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:07 AM   #57
apokalypsis

Goofy Re: The Weapon Thread Part 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Has anything been said on how many weapons may actually be in the game?
I don't want a few or if a lot then not just all modern style weapons - I want loads and crazy imaginative weapons. Think Turok and Turok 2.
Crazy weapons:

1) GRC: Gender/Race Changer. Turns horrible fat alien pigs into beatiful human babes and vice versa.
Maybe this gun could work like the glopp gun from DNMP, you need to shoot it for a while at your target. Just imagine what could happen if you interrupt the conversion process (transgender PIGs ).. nevermind..

2) MiniShotGun = MiniGun + ShotGun. A Minigun that uses shells, not bullets.

3) DNG. The "Duke Nukem Gun". A fusion of RPG/Minigun/Shotgun/DesertEagle all in one (no, it isn't the mighty boot )

Quote:
Originally Posted by hark View Post
I'm wondering if there will be any non-lethal weaponry to supplement the lethal weaponry. I know Duke is about kicking ass but having weapons that do effects other than reduce enemy health could add great variety to combat.
Huummm... maybe:
4) a very big, enormous, GIGANTIC, HUMONGOUS, MASTODONIC dildo .. haha.. nevermind.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #58
bhalbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai View Post
I don't know if this idea has been brought up before, but here it goes.

Singularity Gun (aka a black hole)

Any thoughts on this?

Sorry if someone already came up with this idea.

I like this idea. I also like that if you are not careful, you can get caught up in it yourself.

B
Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 PM   #59
unforgiven

1 - Mighty Foot
1-1 - Chainsaw

2 - Plasma Pistol
2-2 - Two Plasma Pistols

3 - Jackhammer Shotgun

4 - Chain Gun

5 - RPG
5-5 - Napalm Launcher

6 - Hand Grenade
6-6 - Grenade Launcher

7 - Weapon Like Prey Leech Gun

8 - Laser Trip Mine

9 - Big Sniper Like Barrett M82A1

=D
Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #60
Revile

Duke has always been about firepower, and then the crazy unrealistic but satisfying guns, i say keep all the originals, but maybe change the way some of them look, maybe add a sniper rifle like in DN Zero Hour, 50 Cal.

as for unrealistic and more fun guns to use, instead of stealing ideas of guns that exist in other modern games, like the Gravity gun in HL2 or the Nuke gun in Unreal Tournament. Originality is what its all about, like the Boob gun in Redneck Rampage, it was so random but also funny and worth having. perhaps a gun that fires high pressured water or something, like a fire hose. but make it look like a gun. I also liked that idea of a gun that could melt the aliens, like acid, that would be pretty vicious. you could call it the Liquidator, or something. Also maybe instead of focusing on millions of guns, different types of ammo for guns, like the shotgun could have both 12-gauge shells and explosive shells, the shrinker has both shrink and expander ammo, and so on and so forth. a cool thing to have would be a revolver, thats secondary rounds are delayed, so that when you fire at the enemy it takes a good 3- seconds before they explode, so you couldshoot about 5 in succession and have them explode or die a few seconds after the shots, and it would be like one shot kills. Just an idea that hasnt been tried yet.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:37 AM   #61
Antikorper
I would like to have a small 10 inch tall alien with an explosive wrapped in its back.... and then you would be able to take control over is (something like a pair of special sunglasses you put on and then you see first person from the small alien) and the alien can run something like a hundred yards under your control with a crazy scream and then BOOOM... a guite non unique, but could be cool looking... especially in multiplayer.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:34 AM   #62
Kien

Quote:
Because the way you USE the weapon is just as important as the weapon itself. If you try to fire a rocket launcher in a bathroom its effectiveness drops because it'll kill you TOO, where as a shotgun will splatter the enemies guts acrossed the tiling.

If you put a shotgun or a heavy machinegun to someones torso the effect will more or less be the same. Ground Beef.
It's not important in this question. The thing is just to compare what inflicts most damage to a human target. A rocket or shotgun (close range of course).
Old 09-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #63
DuLt
Picking up the idea for a black hole gun...
Does DNF have it's own bfg?
D3d had the devastator (for me atleast) but playing it now it seems to not have some super powerful, scarce ammo gun...
A black hole gun could be ideal... imagine shooting a small black dot (tha travels slowly) and sucks every enemy into it (you aswell, if you stand to next to it) and start hearing choppy and crunching sounds...

As for all the sugestions (in another thread) for duke to travel back in time. Maybe the blackhole could not kill enemys and duke ALL THE TIME, maybe there would be a 1/100 chance they would be transported to another part of the map and another 1/1000 to make duke go back to level 1 or level 99... or even his baby years...

Last edited by DuLt; 09-17-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:58 PM   #64
Kien

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuLt View Post
Picking up the idea for a black hole gun...
Does DNF have it's own bfg?
D3d had the devastator (for me atleast) but playing it now it seems to not have some super powerful, scarce ammo gun...
A black hole gun could be ideal... imagine shooting a small black dot (tha travels slowly) and sucks every enemy into it (you aswell, if you stand to next to it) and start hearing choppy and crunching sounds...
Unreal 2:y? Big fat chubby alien limb.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #65
MeatWagon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w0jK...eature=related

If this hasn't already been mention, then one of these babies. Obviously it would have to be mounted, maybe on a vehicle or just some sort of emplacement.

Imagine sawing through concrete walls and shredding aliens to a bloody pulp
Old 09-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #66
DuLt
Quote:
Unreal 2:y? Big fat chubby alien limb.
Me no play U2...
Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #67
Antikorper
http://img146.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ebg54zask7.jpg

just copy the weapon in Duke's left hand and include the overall look of the fire... i would love to shoot something like that in dark...
Old 09-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #68
Micki!

Actually, i always liked those two
Would be cool actually using them haha
Old 09-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #69
delta2kbr

Ok, here's to some crazy ideas:

-Octabrain. Yes, Duke should be able to rip a Octabrain's... head?... and use it to fire some "psy-blasts". That would be awesome.

-As far as the BFG for Duke, some people believe they saw a "Tactical Nuke" in Duke's inventory at Jace Hall's footage. No friggin idea what that does... except exploding.

-Hyper boots. Something like Duke Nukem using some manly Mega Man boots to CRASH, SMASH, CRACK, ~insert your favorite destroying sound here~ the s*** outta a Pigcop. You know when cops break into a door, by kicking the door and screaming "POLICE!"? Imagine Duke doing that by making a metallic door literally fly, hitting a Octabrain in middle-air and saying "WHO WANTS SOME?"

-Some homing explosive stuff. Not necessarily a launcher of homing missile, but Duke throwing some flying robots that chase and explode on enemies. Kinda like those enemies at Duke3D.

-Ass missile launcher. If the fatty flying alien got it, why can't Duke? As a matter of fact, let's make a donkey with an ass missile launcher.

-Grapple gun! One of the most fun things at Super Metroid, also present at the Prime series but only on certain spots. Imagine how cool you using a Grapple Gun at a high Octabrain to get mid-air to get to the top of a flying helicopter with 8 pigcops ready to get bacon?

-Lightning! FEEL THA SITH POWAH!

Ok, getting a little too excited here. If I get more crazy ideas, I shall return.

---EDIT----

Ah, kinda off-topic. I've read somewhere else that some guys are expecting really new weapons beside the ones from Duke 3D. Correct me if I'm wrong, besides the Soul Cube, is there any different weapon in Doom 3? Cuz to me it had the same weapons as the original one with uber graphics and kicked ass.
Last edited by delta2kbr; 09-30-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #70
Antikorper
Being able to dualwield big guns would be damn cool... but eaven cooler would be if you could aim 180 degrees to your sides and fire them seperately with 1st and 2nd firebuttons + turn your head with one key from side to side.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #71
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antikorper View Post
Being able to dualwield big guns would be damn cool... but eaven cooler would be if you could aim 180 degrees to your sides and fire them seperately with 1st and 2nd firebuttons + turn your head with one key from side to side.
I reckon some PS2 FPS where you could this in... Control guns aim seperately...
It didn't work that well, but well, it was on a console...

I can't see it work that well in a PC game either though...
Of course, if it worked right, it would be really cool... Dunno if i think it's 'Duke' enough though... Sounds more like a First Person Matrix-thing...
Old 10-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #72
Antikorper
what would be more bad ass than shooting in 2 directions turning 360 and killing all the enemies
Old 10-01-2008, 03:14 PM   #73
Weses

A crowbar. And when you eventually get the crowbar in the game it will take you on a Half-Life spoof journey. Just walking around breaking wood and killing zombies with the crowbar
Old 10-01-2008, 03:53 PM   #74
DuLt
I really hope they don't fill the game with half a ton of guns in which half of them aren't usefull, and the other half has so much scarse ammo you don't use it.
With that in mind, we must not forget that the original duke 3d had guns tat were useful for various situations, and then there were some for more comical relief (IMO).
DNF shouldn't have 438 melee weapons, one or two (or even three) are fine, as long as one is generic and the other are:
A) more powerful/limited ammo;
B) funneh;
C) other.

Same goes for the other weapons.
In doom 3, we have the chain gun and the machine gun. On has a long clip one has a shorter clip, but it's more accurate.

I don't mean to say that I don't like 10-20 weapons (in fact that was something I disliked in hl2) I'm just saying not to add every gun because it would be funny or good or awesome.
Fewer weapons with more awesome-ness in mind would be funny, i.e.:
- Boot getting caught in pigcop's mouth;
- pigcop being cut in half or limb by limb by chainsaw.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #75
Antikorper
Quote:
B) funneh
A circular saw with Duke logo shaped blade so... basicly just 3 big spinning blades that take off big chunks

but also a big axe would be nice to stick into an alien and leave it there
Last edited by Antikorper; 10-02-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #76
Dark Angel

A Batleth, like Klingons use.
Give it a chainsaw blade
Put poison on the blade
Have it spew fire and acid when it hits
Electrify the blade so it electrocutes whoever gets hit

I want a poisonous electrified chainsaw Batleth that spews fire and acid.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #77
DuLt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Angel View Post
A Batleth, like Klingons use.
Give it a chainsaw blade
Put poison on the blade
Have it spew fire and acid when it hits
Electrify the blade so it electrocutes whoever gets hit

I want a poisonous electrified chainsaw Batleth that spews fire and acid.
And little poison spiders that spawn from inside the chain saw and eat the enemy flesh!
Old 10-04-2008, 02:52 AM   #78
Antikorper
Quote:
And little poison spiders that spawn from inside the chain saw and eat the enemy flesh!
and the gun must be radioactive!
Old 10-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #79
Antikorper
I want to have the ultimate weapon... something that will beat the crap out of any nuke, bfg etc.

BLENDTEC BLENDER!

Will it blend, that is the question!

that would be like something you can blend a whole battlelord with.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #80
Antikorper
just found this funny picture from the internet...

i think duke could use something like this