Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
cube_b3
How Many DNF's are out there?
I have seen three?

The DNF-1 I saw existed with a female Duke equivelant called Bomb Shell, it looked like a 3D game from the 90s. I don't think the game was ever near a finished game. I believe it ran on an engine by George or was it Quake 2?

DNF-2 Then we have the most famous 2001 version, which I believe was on the Unreal Engine and it was very closed to being finished. It also looks better than most upcomming PS2 games.

Then we have DNF-3, the current version where we have officially seen no in-game videos but plenty of leaked ones, and I am assuming this would be the version released. Those videos don't look like they will take FPS to the next level like Duke 3D, but great nonetheless.

So basically DNF has existed as 3 seperate games ignoring the version that was suppose to be something like Manhattan Project as it was dropped quite early in development.

or Does that count as a near complete Duke game as well?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Romulus_ut3
Re: How Many DNF's are out there?
Lol! Just like lameduke, which is the beta version of duke nukem 3d, all these variant-unfinished versions of duke nukem forever will come out a year or two after duke nukem forever is released, if it ever gets released that is..
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
dcxboxfreak

The one from 2001 was a big fake. There wasen't even gameplay in it. It was all programmed to make a video for the E3 in 2001. So there isn't actually a beta from it, eventhough it looked very VERY awesome! It looked like some kind of Half-Life 1 Engine.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #4
Kristian Joensen

When DNF was announced back in April 1997, they licensed the Quake 2 engine, but they didn't get the Quake 2 source code until about December 1997. So meanwhile a small DNF R&D team experimented/prototyped with Quake 1 tech. From when they got the Quake 2 source code in December 1997 until E3 1998(Where they showed a trailer of their work up until that point) they worked on DNF using the Quake 2 engine but with their own modifications like a new scripting language. After E3 1998 they switched to the Unreal Engine and immediately started to modify with for example with a new skeletal animation system. The Unreal Engine license included access to upgrades and in this period 3DR was constantly upgrading to newer versions of the Unreal code base as Epic was patching Unreal. In 1999 they upgraded to the Unreal Tournament version of the codebase.

All of this was while 3DR were implementing their own changes to the Unreal Engine, 1999 was also the year we first saw media(screenshots) of DNF using the Unreal Engine. At E3 2001 they showed a trailer of the Unreal Engine version of DNF. By that point they had brought some code in from what would become UE2. In early 2002 3DR started writing their own renderer that was done in November 2002. For more information see the quotes I have collected in this thread.

Edit:

dcxboxfreak, I know what you are referring to but that is a misunderstanding on the word "scripted".
Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 08-28-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
axion

I count 0.
http://pexticle.labrute.fr
Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
peoplessi

0, none actually finished. ½ if you count the almost done/most recent version, that got put on hold due the Take 2 vs. 3D Realms legal feud.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #7
JobivanHiob

huh?
DNF on hold?
Wow thats a big rumor! DNF haven't been in development since May 2009.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
fast-1

I think there is only 1 version of DNF.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #9
Duke's New Chainsaw

None.

It's all a hoax.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
fast-1

Yes that's it
Old 08-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
RuskiSnajper.

GNU hurd
La noire
Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
peoplessi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobivanHiob View Post
huh?
DNF on hold?
Wow thats a big rumor! DNF haven't been in development since May 2009.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #13
Water12356

This was described in our old FAQ a while back. As Kristian Joensen mentioned, there where a few different of versions of DNF based on the engine chances it went through. None of those versions exist anymore. They are gone. The only version that exists now is the current one we have seen from the Teaser trailer, and illegal leaked media.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus