Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #1
prowler45

time to upgrade mouse and keyboard
Hey guys,

I've been using a basic dell keyboard and a Dynex wired mouse for a long time now and especially the mouse needs an upgrade. I've been thinking about getting a wireless gaming mouse and keyboard(Doesn't need to be wireless) but have no idea what to look for. I play FPS and RTS games on the comp and I know there are alot of mmorpg type boards and mice that I probably don't need. Would you guys have any suggestions on a comfortable and good performance wise gaming mouse as well as a good keyboard?

Thanks for reading,

prowler
Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 AM   #2
Jiminator

Re: time to upgrade mouse and keyboard
get a g500 and g15. don't go wireless, less hassle in the long run.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
nebiatsu
Definitely dont go wireless if you are an FPS gamer.
I would go with a mechanical keyboard (if you dont mind the 'clicks' it puts out), if you dont need all the crap that comes with 'gaming' keyboards.
Look around this site for low priced mechanical keyboards (do NOT go with SteelSeries, they suck badly. I know, I have one).
http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/cus101usenon.html

As for mouse....
I use the Dynex mice at work. They suck for gaming.

If you like the regular type mouse, I really like the Razer Diamondback. It is a bit longer than regular mice, and has nice pads on the sides so your fingers dont rub on hard plastic. Only thing I dont like is, you cant bind any of the buttons to back/forward for web browsers (but thats not REAL important).

If you like the taller, sloped to the left type mice, go for a logitech.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Wamplet

I use a Logitech G110 keyboard. I don't really care for the extra macro-programmable keys on the left side, but other than that it has LED lit keys and no LCD screen which is how i wanted my keyboard.

edit:
I used to have the Saitek keyboards. They had this one model with metal keys for WASD and that thing was great but couldn't type it's way out of a paper bag. You can probably dig up my old thread or posts about it somewhere here. Had to return it to the store about 3 or 4 times before i got one that worked. Eventually it just died and was not detected anymore, so i just got the G110. It was the closest keyboard to it. I didn't want a large keyboard with an LCD screen , just LED keys and a headphone jack plugin.

I use an LX8 Logitech wireless mouse. they just relabeled the mouse models and i believe the replacement for it is the M510. Looks identical to the LX 8 but has a tiny USB receiver instead of the long one. I think they call it a unifying receiver. Allows it to work with other compatible wireless devices i believe.
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Last edited by Wamplet; 12-29-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
8IronBob

I have used a G15 Keyboard and MX518 Mouse for the better part of the last two years, have no complaints about either one so far.

Athough I know a few people that have used a DAS keyboard (the one with loud keys and no character labels on the keys), and I've always felt jealous about that keyboard, but I don't see it being worth the $130 or whatever it was, tho.
http://www.daskeyboard.com/
Old 12-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Jiminator

you can turn off the led in the g15, makes the keys hard to see, net result = training like the blank das keyboard
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
8IronBob

Hmm...I see. Well, for about the same price as the DAS Keyboard, I've noticed that there is one that combines the same mechanical keys with blue LED-backlighting and macro keys in this Razer Black Widow Ultimate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-012-_-Product

Kind of combines both keyboards' features into one, more or less.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
FullMetalJacket
I recently sprang for a Logitech Wave keyboard, and I love it. And I've been using a Microsoft Sidewinder X5 mouse for a few years now, and it's perfect. You could pick a better keyboard I'm sure, but I've yet to find a mouse that I like better than the Sidewinder.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #9
nebiatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Hmm...I see. Well, for about the same price as the DAS Keyboard, I've noticed that there is one that combines the same mechanical keys with blue LED-backlighting and macro keys in this Razer Black Widow Ultimate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-012-_-Product

Kind of combines both keyboards' features into one, more or less.
I love razer mice (I have 3 of them).

I would stay away from their keyboards though.
They dont tend to last long, and their drivers/software need lots of work.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
8IronBob

Heh, all right...maybe the DAS Keyboard might be better, at least those are dependable. I mean, sure they may not have those backlit keys, nor the fancy macro keys running down the side, but boy, those will bring back the old days of PC keyboards in a hurry. I know friends that use the Ultimate Model of the DAS with the blank key labels and those loud clicks, and those had me jealous, but I may still go for the Professional Model myself, just in case there are those special character keys that I may need to search for. Besides the key inscription differences, I don't think there's much else that separates the features of Ultimate or Professional. I mean, after all, those keyboards will remind me of the first PCs I may have owned when keyboards were actually GOOD.

/me wishes mechanical keyboards would make a bigtime comeback already...
Last edited by 8IronBob; 01-02-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #11
Delicieuxz

I use a wired MS keyboard and a wireless 5 button Intellimouse 2.0. I game all the time and wouldn't go with a wired mouse again, I'm not sure why people are advising against it. I think the days of optical/laser mice not being able to track twitch speed movement are long passed. I also get 5-6 months before having to replace the batteries.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #12
Karthik
So do wireless keyboard and mouse work in Bios environment or when reinstalling windows 7?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 AM   #13
Delicieuxz

It works while installing windows, I haven't tried wireless mouse in a true DOS setting.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Phayzon

I have a Logitech MX518 mouse and an MS Sidewinder X4 keyboard. Not too expensive and both have been rock solid. The MX518 is probably the best mouse ever created, I don't know why anyone (even Logitech) even tries to make a different mouse anymore
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phayzon View Post
I have a Logitech MX518 mouse and an MS Sidewinder X4 keyboard. Not too expensive and both have been rock solid. The MX518 is probably the best mouse ever created, I don't know why anyone (even Logitech) even tries to make a different mouse anymore
I can totally agree with that, even Razer doesn't have anything to compete well with the MX518 that I know of.