Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 02-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
tfishell
Thumbs up Please continue to release classics on GOG.com
I realize 3D Realms may not be as interested in bringing games to GOG as they might be in promoting via their own store, but I believe there are still fans who would like the ability to continue their collections on their GOG accounts, support GOG by buying games on that store, or other reasons.

I don't know what the situation with the publishing rights is (why games like Wolf3D haven't shown up already), but if possible please continue to bring games like the Commander Keen titles, Death Rally, Wolfenstein 3D, the DOS version of Raptor, etc.

On the GOG wishlist, Wolf3D has 5700+ votes, the Keen games have 2,000+ votes, and Death Rally has nearly 700 votes.

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/wolfenstein_3d
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games#se...er=votes_total
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/death_rally

Likewise it would be nice to see some more freeware games on GOG's site, specifically Bio Menace and Alien Carnage.

Again, I know the games are easily purchasable here and DRM-free, but please consider continuing to bring them to GOG.com.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #2
Lunick Fiore

Re: Please continue to release classics on GOG.com
Wolfenstein 3D would be a part of Zenimax now, as well as the Commander Keen series.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
tfishell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
Wolfenstein 3D would be a part of Zenimax now, as well as the Commander Keen series.
Well since they're being sold here I wondered if perhaps 3D Realms had the ability to publish them elsewhere. (Perhaps just on their own store.)
Old 02-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #4
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

They would have to work out a deal with ZeniMax to sell them on other market places.
And most likely, that won't happen.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Clint Flicker

By the way, what's the difference between buying 3DRealms games at GOG and buying them at their own store?
Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
Lunick Fiore

Having all your downloads in the one place?
Old 04-27-2015, 07:49 PM   #7
Clint Flicker

Quote:
Having all your downloads in the one place?
Just that? No difference in the executables and in the eventual method of emulation?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #8
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

None. Games are the same.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 04-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #9
Lunick Fiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
None. Games are the same.
Duke Nukem 2 has the Sunglasses everywhere except GOG and Manhattan Project has the updated launcher everywhere except GOG.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Duke Nukem 2 has the Sunglasses everywhere except GOG and Manhattan Project has the updated launcher everywhere except GOG.
Yeah, OK, I forgot about Interceptor changing the glasses. My guess is because the GOG deal was with Apogee Software LLC, and they made the deal before Interceptor/Apogee Ltd-3DR did their thing and retconned the glasses into Duke II.

But my point remains. the GAMES are the same. A game launcher isn't the same thing to me.

Besides, 3D Realms has been selling these games DRM FREE since 2009. I know, because I built the installs. They were always for sale direct from 3D Realms from 2009 to this day. Nothing has changed, really.

I understand the attraction of wanting them in Steam with your other games. But to claim that GOG was the first to sell them DRM free is wrong. 3DR's been doing it for a long time now.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Last edited by Joe Siegler; 04-29-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #11
VitezSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
I understand the attraction of wanting them in Steam with your other games. But to claim that GOG was the first to sell them DRM free is wrong. 3DR's been doing it for a long time now.
Yeah, but until the re-launch, you couldn't re-download the games you bought. Between the original releases, the 3D Realms digital store, GOG, and now the re-launched 3D Realms store / anthology, I've bought some of these Apogee games 5 times each. But that's okay, because those are some of my all time favorite games and I still replay Bio Menace, Major Stryker, Raptor, Realms of Chaos, etc. every now and then. I'm often in the mood to rather replay them than some new release or something from my backlog.