Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Shadow Warrior Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-04-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
ProAsm

Whats up
So whats everyone up to ?
Playing the Game, Total Conversions, User maps or just waiting to see what happens next
I've now played 181 User maps and 19 TC's.
Most were great, especially now that I found my Antivirus software was causing most of my hooking up problems etc.
I still experienced several Desktop crashes, Town.map I seem to remember was a pretty bad one.
There are also a few maps that dont startup at all and immediately crash to the desktop and I will look into those as well.
During this process I updated Swp22 twice, PlayWang is now on 2.3 and I think LoNukem had a small change also.
On the Duke3d side, now that both TerminX's EDuke32 and my Duke3dw uses the latest JF code, I found some changes needed to made to some TC's, especially Platoon.
For those that struggle to get a TC going properly, try adding the old 'include user.def' at the end of your Duke3d.def or Sw.def files as several of the TC's still rely on the user.def file.

Just going through all these singleplay maps I see at least 30% of them are Wangbang and I will correct the downloads soon on that lot, but it makes me wonder just how popular Sw Wangbang was in its day for there to be so many Wangbang maps.
Maybe its time we start taking a serious look at the Multiplay code for this game.
I for one never played Wangbang back then and if anyone did back then it would be interesting to know what the quality of play was like.

Well thats my 2c worth for now
Old 10-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
Ryanthelurkster

Re: Whats up
I wish i could model, then I'd do some of this stuff

Go here for the greatest TC ever made!!! http://www.premiumtc.de.vu/
Old 10-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #3
hitman71

Quote:
ProAsm said:I for one never played Wangbang back then and if anyone did back then it would be interesting to know what the quality of play was like.
I said before, i used to play SW WB every friday night on a 4 pc lan. We sometimes played thru the main levels, sometimes played various wangbang levels (usually standard ones) and more often than not, we spent 2-3 hours on "Heavy Metal". Once the standard WB levels started getting boring (Heavy Metal NEVER did), we started dabbling with user made WB levels. We found some great maps to play back then.

As for how well it played on lan ? It was supersmooth, superfast and superb fun. We all loved it. The weapons were great, the levels were great, the graphics were great (at the time) and we just couldn't stop playing it. We also played Blood MP, Duke (but rarely) and Quake (sometimes). We moved onto Quake 2, Blood 2, Unreal and Sin in later days, but we always came back to Shadow Warrior every week...
Old 10-04-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Ryanthelurkster

I wish videogames were more popular where i live

Go here for the greatest TC ever made!!! http://www.premiumtc.de.vu/
Old 10-04-2005, 09:11 PM   #5
Usurper

Regarding Wang Bang quality, it was about ten times better than Dukematch. The weapons all had a better feel to them. I liked the levels better as well.

In college, we did a lot of SW deathmatch until Lithium Quake 2 took over in popularity.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
Parkar

yeap, Wang Bang is just super fun. Still trying to find the Huge wb map I made that me and my brothers used to play on. Together with the action mods sw is the most fun I have had in mp.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
SamSwashbuckler
What are action mods?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:12 PM   #8
Carger2000
I have a thing in development that is very special indeed but it relies heavily on the multiplayer compatibility so it won't be released untill it's worth it.

Most of my 1999-2004 user maps will be redone to optimize them and there's other in development as well.

Steer clear of my Mission-X episode untill I've redone it, thanks.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
Parkar

Quote:
SamSwashbuckler said:
What are action mods?
See that link in my sig, you know you want to

Currently it just leads to the action message boards since the Action UT mod web page is down. It all started with Action Quake 2 which was one of the first real weapon mods. Then came Action Half-life followed by Action UT (that never got fully finished) and now it is back to AHL with the new directors cut version. Actualy Counter Strike is sort of born out of the action series.

The whole idea is to make a multi player game that feels like you are in a action movie. every bullet counts, you have to bandage wounds or you bleed to death, getting shot in the leg makes you limb, when you bleed you leave a blood trail that your opponent can follow, reloading throws away the clip making reloading not just an extra delay between shooting, a little shortage of ammo making every clip you find in the map count, you can dive like in Max Payne(before Max Payne actualy), a small but well balanced weapon set where every weapon has a function, items like armour vests and silencers that all have a specific function, akimbo pistols (mixing ANY gun is possible in AUT).

In any case it is a whole lot of fun and the way the items, guns and other features works together makes for a with a lot of different tactics and I have never played two games of action that played out the same.

Almost being out of ammo, getting shot by a sniper, dive for cover and kill an opponent in the same move. Then bandage and stop at 1 health having one bullet and a knife left knowing that the opponent you just killed had a mp5. No the question what to do. Go for the mp5 risking to get hit by the sniper or realising the mp5 is empty, put all on the last bullet hitting the sniper, maybe the knife, or maybe just run like hell and try to get to him another way. Choices like this has to be taken all the time while playing.

Short story, it is a blast to play even when you lose big time just because of all the cool stuff that happens.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:33 AM   #10
SamSwashbuckler
Quote:
Parkar said:Together with the action mods sw is the most fun I have had in mp.
I know about AHL etc, but is there Action Shadow Warrior?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM   #11
Tea Monster

Me and a freind of mine (Spirit Lodger) played the first few levels of SW when it came out in co-op. This was on his LAN. I've never played WB.

Mostly we were both got into this as we really liked Duke and wanted to see what they had done to improve the BUILD engine. We had both been really underwhelmed by another BUILD game called WitchHaven and wanted to see if the 'Duke Magic' had been reproduced. The verdict was "Pretty good, and definetly on the right track, but not as kick-ass as Duke."

Something else came out and after that and that grabbed our interest. I never had a copy of SW, though I wound up buying 2 copies of DN3D over the years.

The weapons were cool. I remember loving the look of them. I liked the rail gun especially. The voxels were a new concept (at the time!) that we were impressed by.

The most fun I have had in Multiplayer was playing Dukes' 'The Abyss' in Co-op. Wow!