Quote:
Originally Posted by jonis View Post
Very cool you shared this Joe, thanks.
yep, thank you Joe !
I love this logo
Old 05-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #42
Dunedain

Re: Memories from Apogee/3D Realms #5
Thanks for the great stories, keep them coming!

I still can't believe any of this (just found out), 3D Realms is like one of *the* PC game makers (id being another), it *has* to keep going on. I mean, what with all the progress made on Duke Nukem Forever, it certainly looks like it will be finished by Christmas, even if that means trimming a few levels from the game (which can later be released in the Gold Edition of the game). Surely there must be some way to get enough funding to cover things until then? Because once it comes out, it will sell like crazy and the money can be repaid easily. Seems like it's time to make that first-ever bank loan in the history of Apogee/3D Realms.

But just in case, please go around the 3D Realms offices and lobby and take lots of really high resolution pictures (if you're using a digital camera, set camera for max quality) to document how everything looks, just as it is during the making of Duke Nukem Forever. Make sure to get a really good centered shot of the Duke Nukem symbol in the lobby with as close to a straight down over-head shot as you can get and still keep the whole thing in the picture frame (try it with and without flash). So we have a really high quality reference shot of the Duke symbol in marble. Plus all the cool posters and stuff on the walls. Then upload them here as an archive of great shots (with captions for each photo, so we know exactly what we are looking at in each shot). Thanks!
Last edited by Dunedain; 05-12-2009 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #43
unforgiven

The only thing I can say is I'm sorry , It's looks like I lost someone

I hope George could recover his company ( Like Interplay , they had to sell Fallout IP to recover Interplay company ).

at least we all tried to open a way to donate something for Saving/Gratitude 3DR

I've been a fan since 1992. I feel lost , deeply , more than anyone
Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #44
MasternX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
Thanks for the great stories, keep them coming!

I still can't believe any of this (just found out), 3D Realms is like one of *the* PC game makers (id being another), it *has* to keep going on. I mean, what with all the progress made on Duke Nukem Forever, it certainly looks like it will be finished by Christmas, even if that means trimming a few levels from the game (which can later be released in the Gold Edition of the game). Surely there must be some way to get enough funding to cover things until then, because once it comes out, it will sell like crazy and the money can be repaid easily. Seems like it's time to make that first-ever bank loan in the history of Apogee/3D Realms.

But just in case, please go around the 3D Realms offices and lobby and take lots of really high resolution pictures (if you're using a digital camera, set camera for max quality) to document how everything looks, just as it is during the making of Duke Nukem Forever. Make sure to get a really good centered shot of the Duke Nukem symbol in the lobby with as close to a straight down over-head shot as you can get and still keep the whole thing in the picture frame (try it with and without flash). So we have a really high quality reference shot of the Duke symbol in marble. Plus all the cool posters and stuff on the walls. Then upload them here as an archive of great shots (with captions for each photo, so we know exactly what we are looking at in each shot). Thanks!
This is seriously a very good idea.. Unless it's already been done, once high res pictures are taken of 3DR HQ, someone should create a map for Duke3D (or hopefully later versions of Duke) so those who have never been there can have a similar experience to what it was like to be inside of the great 3DRealms studio(s)
Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #45
Dunedain

MasternX: A 3D Realms Duke level would be super cool!
Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #46
William Gee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
MasternX: A 3D Realms Duke level would be super cool!
http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=35636
Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #47
MasternX

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Gee View Post
Sick!! Like they always say.. great minds think alike
Old 05-13-2009, 05:39 PM   #48
Mystery Man 129

those were good videos joe thanks i really hope everything works out for you
Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #49
Impulse

These posts are making me want to cry, haha... Duke 3D was my childhood... that game is entwined with my ******* soul. Honestly 3D Realms shutting down is the saddest thing ever. If any game... any god damn game, 3D Realms or otherwise... needed a follow up, it was Duke Nukem 3D...

All the best anyway dudes, I'm going to miss you.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #50
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

There will be more, but not for the moment.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #51
Derfernet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
There will be more, but not for the moment.
More what? I feel so stupid.

D:
Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #52
Duke's New Chainsaw

I don't know either.

What's this forum for again?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #53
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

More stories. I would have thought it was obvious.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #54
Derfernet
Quote:
The two posts above ya are talking about vids.
I didn't know if you meant more videos or posts.

:[
I'm not so good with reading comprehension apparently.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:36 AM   #55
shiranui

Quote:
Twas perfectly obvious to me, Joe.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #56
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Guys, can we leave the closure of 3DR & DNF stuff out of these threads? There's enough places for that. Thanks.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #57
Drazula

Eek Re: Memories from Apogee/3D Realms #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superczar View Post
o_O

You don't sound anything like I imagined you did...

You don't even sound like you are from Philly...
What's even creepier is that it sounds like my voice, especially his laugh at the end.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #58
SirWinner

Red face Re: Memories from Apogee/3D Realms #5
Joe,

Your daughter is so so precious.

My daughter is already 15 as of March of this year.

It is so hard to believe that she has grown up so so fast.

Enjoy every moment you can with her and cherish your time with her.

Life goes by so so quickly... Hard to believe that I turned 52 this year.

Here's to a bright and blessed future to you and all the fine people at 3D Realms.

Here's my YouTube video in regards to the "Camera Captioning Contests":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKR-hSGdStE

In retrospect, I hope it shows just a little of the better times at 3D Realms.

Bill G.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #59
cdoublejj

looks like duke was owned by the dalek.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #60
RedSniper

These inside stories & pictures are awesome. I hope there is more to come!
The Duke logo on the floor is kick-ass, would love to have seen that in person.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #61
xPreatorianx
@Joe, I'm really sorry that the project had to end like this m8. I grew up with Duke nukem. To me Duke is the most iconic character in video gaming history! Even more so then mario. I remember investing countless hours on my old dos machine killing aliens.

An experience I will never forget. I hope you find another job in the gaming industry and I hope you enjoy it. Here's to one of the most iconic characters in video gaming history and god bless!

I have always been a PC gamer and I remember the first time I played Duke nukem 3D. My grandfather downloaded the shareware episode late at night and he went off to bed when I was staying over at his house, I snuck down stairs and booted it up because I knew the commands. I played that episode over and over till he found me the next morning!

I've been a PC gamer ever since. Best memories of my life. Sucks that it had to end like this but we have all had a hell of a run haven't we? Anyways thanks for memories 3DR!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #62
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The floor no longer exists.

Goodwill Industries now owns the building, they removed the floor. Due to how the floor was installed, it was impossible to save it.
So... another bit of 3DR history is gone.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #63
MrBlackCat

Yep... I never got to see that floor.

But I like a lot...

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #64
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

An update to this..

I threw together an article about the lobby floor from our old offices.

http://joe.siegler.net/2012/05/nuking-a-lobby-floor/

You'll want to read all of it. Especially the last part about the uh, "revival" of the floor logo.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #65
Antosa

But then 3drealms and apogee are definitely closed?

Video: Point of View GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB
Old 05-16-2012, 08:06 AM   #66
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

No.
3DRealms still exists as a company, and are still working. They are no longer located in that building, they've moved to a different location.
One that people don't wish to disclose to the public.

The new Apogee company has nothing to do with this.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 05-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #67
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
No.
3DRealms still exists as a company, and are still working. They are no longer located in that building, they've moved to a different location.
One that people don't wish to disclose to the public.

The new Apogee company has nothing to do with this.
Correct.

Apogee Software Ltd (aka/dba 3D Realms, the company founded in 1987 and the one I worked for) still exists on paper, but is not an active development studio anymore. The couple of guys still involved do have office space, but as I said elsewhere.. I do know where it is and what the situation is. But given I don't work for them anymore, it's not my place to divulge that info. It's up to them, and if they don't want to say - it ain't happening.

Apogee Software LLC is the newer Apogee that put out that Duke DS game not too long ago, and is working on a few other things, and has a site at www.apogeesoftware.com - It's a separate company, but the LLC has legal ramifications that allow them to operate with the perception of it being the same old Apogee.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #68
MrFlibble

Thumbs up Re: Memories from Apogee/3D Realms #5
Quote:
An update to this..

I threw together an article about the lobby floor from our old offices.

http://joe.siegler.net/2012/05/nuking-a-lobby-floor/

You'll want to read all of it. Especially the last part about the uh, "revival" of the floor logo.
Just read about this, the reconstruction is really awesome ^_^
Old 05-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #69
MrBlackCat

The facsimile Nuke Floor is now officially occupied... had a friend over and it made a great place to talk and game.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:25 AM   #70
MrFlibble

Dopefish Re: Memories from Apogee/3D Realms #5
Heh, this has sort of reminded me of the in-house Dopefish items that are mentioned in the Apogee FAQ:
Quote:
Countless artwork of the Dopefish has been made: ASCII art to animated
graphics, icons, logos, backgrounds, etc. Frequent in-house Christmas
presents at Apogee have been mugs, dolls, ornaments, etc, featuring Dopefish.
(These items were never made for retail sale, however, so please don't ask
Apogee how to buy them.)
I think I've read about stuffed plush Dopefish toys somewhere else too
Old 05-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #71
MrBlackCat

I have considered custom items also... I have wanted to make Dukes unconventional weapons for years for instance. (I did make a mach-up of the freeze thrower once, but never a copy) But over the years, many things have come to mind... from custom action figures to a full size mannequin based full size Duke. I have been trying to buy a Body Builder mannequin for years actually. They are not mass produced "that" bulked up, so the only ones to be found are customs which are usually $4000 and up. Then I would have to have a head sculpted/painted as I am not a sculptor/painter at all. I would love to have Duke Nukem sitting in my game room though. That has been in my plan books since 2003.

Anyway, lots of ideas occur and are written down, but this floor is something I could afford (unemployed) and took less than a week to complete. (About 40 hours in the end) It is just relatively inexpensive solid commercial flooring material... limestone based (85%) and vinyl binder. It should easily outlast me. I will be cleaning and sealing soon and it will be quite glossy.

I might never have a fancy marble floor, but at least this is something I could do myself.

As a serious fan of Apogee/3D Realms/Duke Nukem and other aspects of the company, things like inter-office toys and other items are of substantial interest.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #72
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
a full size mannequin based full size Duke. I have been trying to buy a Body Builder mannequin for years actually. They are not mass produced "that" bulked up, so the only ones to be found are customs which are usually $4000 and up. Then I would have to have a head sculpted/painted as I am not a sculptor/painter at all. I would love to have Duke Nukem sitting in my game room though. That has been in my plan books since 2003.
BTW, haven't there been any "official" Duke statues made for E3 or other conventions/expos/trade fairs?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #73
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble View Post
BTW, haven't there been any "official" Duke statues made for E3 or other conventions/expos/trade fairs?
Hello MrFlibble...
I do not know. Around the time of the 2K/GearBox world tour with DNF, there was an image or video that had a statue of Duke I think. I did not pursue it because I believe it was far outside the US.

As far as I know nothing like that was done before. It was not an obsession, but something more of an opportunist desire.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #74
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
As far as I know nothing like that was done before. It was not an obsession, but something more of an opportunist desire.
Why, I find the idea of fan-made DIY "merchandise" very cool ^_^

BTW, do you have any of the action figures that are mentioned on the Duke's page at 3D Realms?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #75
MrBlackCat

I do like some things by fans myself. I make my own t-shirts and some other things (like flooring)... most of all, I WANT to make lots of things.

As far as Duke Nukem commercially available items, I have all of them that I know of. I was actually a member of the Resaurus Forums before I was a member of 3D Realms forums.

Since the 90's, I have had a neurotic (not to me, but to others) approach to gaming... I bought the Duke Nukem Action figures from Toys R Us the day of release. I got the comic book exclusives as soon as I could find them also. When I play(ed) Duke Nukem 3D, I usually open up the box, review the manual a bit and then maybe look at the posters I have, get on a Duke Nukem Shirt, if I don't have one on already. Then I set an action figure of said game on top of my monitor or desk next to me and play the game. Is just a total experience for me. I do the same with the older Start Wars movies and games.
Yeah, I am nanners, but I have some very thorough fun.

MrBlackCat

Old 05-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #76
Commando Nukem

I got a regular Resaurus Duke figure, still in really good condition.

Wish I still had my mouse pad. Damn it that was so cool. It wasn't in bad shape either. I just lost it some years ago.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:25 PM   #77
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

IIRC, there have been a "couple" Duke Nukem statues made. They were made specifically for various expos and shows.
But, the possibility of those actually becoming available to the public are about zero to none.

I know 2K held a contest for Duke's throne, but, it was a replica and not the one GBX has sitting at their office. And not of the various ones 2K dragged to PAX and such.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #78
MrBlackCat

That throne was interesting, but I just don't have emotional ties to it... although it is from the game, it isn't Duke enough for me personally. I got an estimate from a custom chair maker for one at $3100 though. Not out of reach, but it isn't worth that much to me. I could make it myself for that really.

But a human statue? I am not a sculptor for sure... and no-one wants to even quote something like that. If he was fully covered with clothes, it would be different, but he has a lot of body exposed with the tank top, and nobody I contacted wants to fool with it. Too much money and one shot deal for them. I would have to pay for sculpt, mold, then the part, paint... deals with several parties. Would cost thousands, and just plain isn't that important to me. Think of all the other cool stuff you could do in a game room with that kind of money.

One guy I contacted did body molds... and they could hire a body builder and try, but did not recommend it. He said that body builder molds are almost impossible because they can't stay flexed for the long period required to set the mold... and with most molds (non-body builder) it doesn't make that much difference. They DO re-work and adjustment sculpting for their molds, but that is paying a sculptor by the hour to fix everything and its gets complicated fast... expensive. They really didn't even want to fool with it.

A statue would need to stay below $2500 to be of interest anymore I think... It is a fun idea though.

MrBlackCat

Last edited by MrBlackCat; 05-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:41 AM   #79
Commando Nukem

Personally, I really want a nice big poster to go on my wall. I'd love to print out a huge version of the Duke Nukem 3D title screen. (There's a very nice HD version of it now)

I'd love to do a four foot print off and hang that on my wall!
Old 05-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #80
MrBlackCat

I know! I don't have access to printers like that anymore, so I can't make one. Most print shops will not due to copyright issues. I have several Duke Nukem posters, but I know what you mean.
I did get one of the Standees from DNF at least and then ChrisF over at GearBox was nice enough to send me a high-res face image of "the twins" so I could make this, and use it as a giant poster basically.

I know you are probably typing more about Duke from 3D... and I would love to have one of those.
It is just like with the Star Wars movies. I saw episodes 4,5,6 in the theater as a child, and their impact was great and I have great attachment to them. Episodes 1,2,3 I have watched several times each and I just can't get into them at all. It is the same with Duke Nukem 3D vs Duke Nukem Forever, but not as extreme.

MrBlackCat