Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
KO Gilligan

Disney Purchases Lucas Films, includes Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises
Including the high-tech production companies. Disney is now planning to release a new Star Wars movie every few years

Wow

Lucas was so ridiculed, he had actually vowed to never make another

I'm guessing that Disney will actually do good for this franchise

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...76a_story.html
Old 10-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Re: Disney Purchases Lucas Films, includes Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises
Personally... I don't want anymore Star Wars films.
Not a jab at the quality or storytelling of either trilogy. I love the original trilogy, and found some enjoyment in the prequel trilogy (mostly the end of Ep2, and a lot of Ep3).

But, just because I enjoyed them doesn't mean I want more. I felt the conclusion of the original trilogy was solid. And was actually against the prequel trilogy happening as I felt it was pointless, and it's "biggest moments" were already well established plot twists from the older films.

The idea of a new Star Wars film just... I don't know, seems lazy. Just comes across to me as riding on a popular name because it's safer then trying to create something new.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 10-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Kit

Re: Disney Purchases Lucas Films, includes Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises
I reckon we'll see Disney reboot the series instead of delivering another trilogy.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I'm guessing that Disney will actually do good for this franchise
Their acquisition of Marvel hasn't given me reason to complain yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I reckon we'll see Disney reboot the series instead of delivering another trilogy.
From the article:
Quote:
The seventh movie, with a working title of “Episode 7,” is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The trilogy will continue the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond “Return of the Jedi,” the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new “Star Wars” movie every two or three years.
So it doesn't look like a reboot is on the cards. And that last bit sounds like they're attempting a Star-Trek or James Bond approach to film franchises.

The prequels weren't good because they were expanding a back story we were familiar with. Sequels hold more promise, especially with gaps in time that they can fill with new backstories, refashioning old characters in supporting roles. I liked the Jedi Knight games, with characters like Master Skywalker in the background to kick ass and add weight to the story with his mere presence.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Kit

That is good to hear.

I'd prefer to see another trilogy set post Return of the Jedi over yet another reboot/re-imagining.

I suppose this means they'll be no stormtroopers though?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
I suppose this means they'll be no stormtroopers though?
The Jedi Knight games had them in the Remnant.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech