Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
Ninety-Six
HRP: Gone
Okay, so the HRP has been giving me a lot of problems for the last year.

I first got the HRP is this humongous torrent that came with a whole bunch of mods and such, including the HRP. At first, it worked fine. Despite my computer being somewhat of a dinosaur, the HRP ran fine; no problems.

Then my computer crashed. After I reinstalled everything, EDuke didn't work anymore. So I had to delete it and temporarily replace it with the version that came with my Duke 3D disk.

I went to download the newest version, and after everything was installed, the HRP went to hell. Suddenly it would freeze and lock up, and I would die many a unfair death because I couldn't see anyhting but a still image. It was horrible, and I lived with that for over a year. Then I discovered I also had DukePlus and tried it out. Naturally, most of those Duke+ levels needed the HRP.

Impossible. I couldn't beat a single level without going god mode because the lag and locking was so bad.

So this morning I get the newest version of eDuke, unzip it and replace all the old files and...the HRP's gone. Just gone.

According ot the menus, the HRP is active, 32-bit OpenGL and everything, models and textures set to "on," but no result. Nothing. Nada.

What the hell is going on?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
The Commander

Re: HRP: Gone
You pirated Duke Nukem 3D illegally, that is what went wrong.

This should be now.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
JoshuaTheOtaku
The Commander is a troll? Where did this fellow (Ninety-Six) even say he pirated DN3D? If you're just joking then yes, that is a funny troll I admit.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #4
Ninety-Six
I didn't pirate the game. I have my own disc. I just got a torrent that had all the mods and whatever.

I can give proof. I can take a damn picture of the disc. I'll even write some words down on it to prove it's not a stolen picture.

EDIT: I can take screencaps. The disc drive shortcut on the desktop, exploring the disc, whatever. Give me some random doodle of a background to prove it's really mine.
Last edited by Ninety-Six; 06-29-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
JoshuaTheOtaku
You torrented the modifcations? That might be the issue.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Ninety-Six
The HRP working fine, though. Then I got the most recent eDuke and I had problems, but it still ran. And now the newest version doesn't run it at all.

---------- Post added at 09:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Okay, I just ran D.C., and the High-Res textures are still there. (And for once, the game ran smoothly. Even on maximum quality.) But the gun and enemy models are still missing. I don't know what happened, but somehow the new eDuke erased the HRP data for the main game.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

I just finished reinstalling the HRP. It didn't work.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
The Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaTheOtaku View Post
The Commander is a troll? Where did this fellow (Ninety-Six) even say he pirated DN3D? If you're just joking then yes, that is a funny troll I admit.
No not a troll post at all.
When he said "I first got the HRP is this humongous torrent that came with a whole bunch of mods and such"

That torrent is quite well known and is used by people that would rather pirate the game then pay for it on GOG.

I could see no other reason why you would download it, if it was to get a collection of mods, then that would be quite stupid because most of the ones listed in it are quite out of date and just end up annoying the developer of said mod. e.g. Duke Plus when they come along and create a thread or post saying something doesn't work when it clearly has been fixed in the latest versions. (This is highly likely one of the reasons you are experiencing what you are now)

All ways download the mods from there original source to make sure you have the latest version.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Ninety-Six
FORGETTING where I got the damn mods from, I just want to run the HRP. (Just let it die. I have an official copy of the disc. I ordered it right from 3DR. I still have the envelope, too. Proof enough I paid for it, yet?)

I installed a completely new HRP. I could only get it to work if, and only if I set eDuke to enable use of the "autoload" folder. But when eDuke runs that, it takes a long time to load the game, and and even longer time to end it. So obviously it wasn't eDuke or the HRP. It can't be my computer since it can run a game like Half-Life 2 at full speed. Did I muck up a GRP file or something?
Last edited by Ninety-Six; 06-29-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
PukeBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety-Six View Post
...I installed a completely new HRP.
Did this go on top of the previous Duke3D installation?
My advice is to install Duke3D from your disc in a completely new folder and download the HRP from duke4.net (get rid of that torrent).

Here's the link:
http://www.duke4.net/download.php?mirror.71

On installation choose only eDuke32, High Resolution Content, and choose the map hacks for which version you have (1.3 or Atomic). Forget about Duke Plus or high quality music. If you want to try duke plus, I'd suggest making another folder with a new Duke3D installation so you don't wreck the working one.
Last edited by PukeBurger; 06-29-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:02 PM   #10
The Commander

Make a new folder, extract the latest EDuke32 version into this new folder.
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/s...00627-1663.zip - Latest EDuke32 as of now.

Then place your "DUKE3D.GRP" from your CD! (Not your stupid torrent you downloaded as it is ******)

Then make a new folder inside your EDuke32 folder called autoload, place the HRP in this folder (It should be a .ZIP file, don't extract it)

When you launch EDuke32 make sure the "include autolad folder" is ticked, if it's running slow, then it could be your PC specs, if it's not even working after this, post your "eduke32.log"

But this is how you install the HRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukeBurger View Post
That's quite an OLD version of the HRP as it's a lot more up to date, to always have the current version of the HRP, follow the details in this thread.

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopic=2251

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Last edited by The Commander; 06-29-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
PukeBurger

Thanks for the updated link
Old 06-30-2010, 02:43 AM   #12
Ninety-Six
Thank you. I installed eDuke the HRP on a fresh GRP file and the game runs like it used to. It's still a little choppy, but it's not lethal anymore.

I also tried DukePlus. For some weird reason, when I run it, the mouse isn't always responsive. I couldn't even turn. At first I thought it was just lock up, but when that happened before, I still turned. I just couldn't see it. I removed it right away.

But it doesn't happen when I run Atomic, or even any of the add-ons. They all couldn't run much smoother.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #13
PukeBurger

Duke Plus did nothing more for me than ruin my boss battles. It's probably been fixed since then but I'm not interested
Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #14
Ninety-Six
While on the subject of DP, what are the minimum system requirements for that thing? I've downloaded the most recent version, and it's a total disaster. My computer lags it so horribly to the point where it's literally unplayable. Duke can't even move, nor can I bring up the main menu.

I know my video card is probably at a little fault here, but there's no way it's the main reason. It runs the standard HRP with no problems, so I'm wondering if maybe my processor's also to blame? (1.80 GHz, I believe.)
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #15
The Commander

The Duke Plus forum is located here. (Everything DN3D/EDuke32 has been moved to D4N if you hadn't read the sticky)

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopic=802

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!