Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #41
Kit

Re: Avengers
Agree about Captain America. Also thought he costume was daft - hopefully that's something they can put right in the sequel 'Winter Soldier'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Like I said, I like the Avengers... but it's nothing amazing. It's a comic book movie, one I'd put on level with X2. And, as I said (in chat IIRC)....

Iron Man
Thor
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

The Avengers
Captain America

It's good. Not great. And Marvel have done way better films already. And, they even manage to release a better film shortly after The Avengers was in theaters.
The Amazing Spider-Man was a more focused and enjoyable film IMO.
Ruffalo's Hulk was much better than Nortons. Iron Man 2 I haven't seen, but heard it's god awful.

I'd go with:

The Avengers
Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Incredible Hulk

If we were including all the Marvel franchises X-Men: First Class and The Amazing Spider-Man would be high on my list.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:12 PM   #42
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I didn't like Ruffalo's Bruce Banner.
The Hulk in the Avengers was great, but Bruce Banner felt really boring and uninteresting.
I much preferred Norton's Bruce. A much more engaging performance.

But, I stand by my comment that it felt like Iron Man and friends instead of The Avengers.
Just like how the X-Men movies felt like Wolverine and Friends instead of the X-Men.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #43
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Personally, I thought his "history" with Black Widow felt rather tacked on in an attempt to make both those characters feel more important in the grand scheme of the movie.
I mean, seriously, compared to the other members of the Avengers... those two seem incredibly out of place.
Specially Black Widow during the final fight.
It felt weak to me. A cheap attempt to make the character feel more fleshed out and in depth then he actually was.
The Hawk-eye - Black Widow interactions fit in the context of the movie, especially with so many characters getting limited screen time. They were written as soldiers in a fight that was too big for them and it was effective. I also liked how that history made the Black Widow - Loki scene more personal. Loki's dialogue with Thor in comparison only retread ground covered in the Thor movie. Hawk-eye's animosity with Loki after he came around also added to the personal drama. Nobody else had as much of a reason to hate the villain, even after what happened with Coulson.

I agree that Black Widow's fight scenes at the end appeared out of place. She should have been in a supporting role and picking targets at a distance, not in the thick of things. The only climax scenes that felt true to her was when she tried to find a solution with her brains and shut the portal down.

Quote:
And yes, Captain America was really dull in the Avengers. But, he was dull in his own movie as well. It's like they don't know exactly what to do with this character. They get a fantastic actor for the role... and then... they give him nothing to do.
I loved the Captain America movie for the most part. The movie only fell flat in how they managed the Red Skull and his scheme. The last quarter of that movie seemed rushed but Cap's origin story was very well done.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 09-25-2012, 12:28 AM   #44
Kalki

So anyone get the blu-ray/dvd yet?

The Honest Trailer for this is pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=QDajL441mZc#!
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 09-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #45
Kit

he he. Very accurate!