Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #2721
QuiGonJ

Re: The Official Doctor Who Thread
I also think burnout is the likely culprit. Steve Hill is starting a forum called "Gallifrey Base" and promises to keep most of the subforums going also. Should transition smoothly enough.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #2722
Mountain Man

If not there's always Doctor Who Online.

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 06-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #2723
Taril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
If not there's always Doctor Who Online.
Yea that's my fav Dr.Who site.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #2724
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

My fav Dr Who news site is this one. Has been for some time now, pretty much around the time that Lyon stepped down from active news reporting.

http://www.kasterborous.com/

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-09-2009, 07:48 AM   #2725
Joel

Strictly a rumour at the moment, but it is possible that they might be bringing in some elements of the classic series to the title sequence by having Matt's face incorporated into the vortex as they did from Troughton to McCoy:

http://io9.com/5276417/new-doctor-wh...ool-big+headed

At the moment, I can't think of it without thinking of a really retro looking opening sequence against the modernism of the current title sequence. If it's true, i'll wait until I see it done.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #2726
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

I saw that thing about the face about a week ago. There's also another juicy rumour about who Timothy Dalton is playing. Supposedly the Chancellor of the High Council of Time Lords.

Holy crap - if that's true.. I wonder if the other longer rumour that RTD will reset the "Last of the Time Lords" concept, and have that only be for the ninth and tenth doctors. That Doc 11 will come into being with Gallifrey, and all the Time Lord stuff restored.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:07 AM   #2727
Joel

Yes, I read about the Timothy Dalton rumour too - very exciting stuff. If not, he'd make a great master. Patrick Stewart's name has also been dropped along the way too, but nothing major indicating any kind of role.

As for rebooting Gallifrey...depends on how it's executed. It's a pretty big thing to reverse and it would require a pretty convincing plot device to pull it off. I'm more open to the idea of maybe the Doctor encountering a sect of Timelords who are in exile and working toward building a new Gallifrey. That would be interesting as their future would depend on breeding with other cultures and races. From this you could get a lot of stories revolving around their morality of mixing with other races and addressing their cultural identity, a purist movement would rise up claiming that as time goes by, Gallifreyan blood would be phased out in favour of the new hybrid race etc. To me is a far more exciting way of expanding on the whole "Last of the Timelords" plot instead of restoring Gallifrey to its state prior to the Time War through exploiting a loophole via timetravel.
Last edited by Joel; 06-10-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #2728
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Yes, I read about the Timothy Dalton rumour too - very exciting stuff. If not, he'd make a great master. Patrick Stewart's name has also been dropped along the way too, but nothing major indicating any kind of role.
Yes it was. Patrick Stewart was supposed to be "The Meddling Monk".

Quote:
As for rebooting Gallifrey...depends on how it's executed. It's a pretty big thing to reverse and it would require a pretty convincing plot device to pull it off. I'm more open to the idea of maybe the Doctor encountering a sect of Timelords who are in exile and working toward building a new Gallifrey. That would be interesting as their future would depend on breeding with other cultures and races. From this you could get a lot of stories revolving around their morality of mixing with other races and addressing their cultural identity, a purist movement would rise up claiming that as time goes by, Gallifreyan blood would be phased out in favour of the new hybrid race etc. To me is a far more exciting way of expanding on the whole "Last of the Timelords" plot instead of restoring Gallifrey to its state prior to the Time War through exploiting a loophole via timetravel.
I'd rather Gallifrey be restored. I never much was a fan of that in the first place. It made for some good stories for sure, but I prefer his race be there, even if they're not "used".

Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 AM   #2729
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: The Official Doctor Who Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Holy crap - if that's true.. I wonder if the other longer rumour that RTD will reset the "Last of the Time Lords" concept, and have that only be for the ninth and tenth doctors. That Doc 11 will come into being with Gallifrey, and all the Time Lord stuff restored.
I hope not because that sounds incredibly lame.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #2730
Tetsuro

Quote:
I'd rather Gallifrey be restored. I never much was a fan of that in the first place. It made for some good stories for sure, but I prefer his race be there, even if they're not "used".
Same...the reason being that when Timelords were around, the Doctor was really just a renegade who could have been dragged back to Gallifrey to be sentenced at the Timelords' whim anytime, which made him look significantly less like the demigod he is now.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #2731
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
Same...the reason being that when Timelords were around, the Doctor was really just a renegade who could have been dragged back to Gallifrey to be sentenced at the Timelords' whim anytime, which made him look significantly less like the demigod he is now.
Not according to the Cartmel Masterplan..

But point taken.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #2732
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuro View Post
Actually I never thought of it like that. The Doctor could use someone to keep him in check, plus, given that he won't be mourning for his people, maybe they'll cut right back on the romantic stuff as he won't be so needy for companionship.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 AM   #2733
Joel

Multiple sources reporting an early appearance for the daleks in S5:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/06/...ho-and-daleks/

AND

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/35/20090612...s-7f3be95.html

To me, the logic seems pretty reasonable given some of the doubt surrounding Smith as the Doctor (double entendre). But, i'm becoming less and less convinced that the Daleks are as menacing and unstoppable as they used to be. They're beginning to become what the Borg did in Star Trek Voyager.

Lets see:

S1:

- the last surviving Dalek of the time war: all good, no issues here

- an army of millions in hiding reveal themselves as a result of the actions of the Doctor's actions in The Long Game (good so far) and ALL defeated by Rose's integration with the TARDIS (dodgy but acceptable given that it cost the Doctor 1 regeneration)

S2

- two part finale where another army of millions of Daleks are found incarcerated in a Gallifreyan prison: plausible

- resolved by the Doctor flipping a lever and sucking them all into an interdimensional void because they were coated by the radiation from interdimensional travel: i've discussed this one a few times. In Remembrance of the Daleks, in collaboration with Unit, the Doctor has a hard enough time saving London from a dozen daleks. In the S2 finale, all hell is unleashed with an army of Cybermen thrown into the mix, all fixed in 5 minutes. BUT, it saved itself from being an epic fail as he did lose his companion and at the time, we were led to believe (through statements by RTD in interviews AND dialogue within the show) that they would never meet again. Also, Dalek Sek escapes which leaves it open for further encounters.

S3

- Daleks in Manhattan two parter: the weakest of the new Dalek stories but they did at least follow on from the story thread established by the survival of Dalek Sek in S2.

S4

- my absolute favourite of the new Dalek stories. Epic, tragic and action packed with some long term consequences for the Doctor. It's everything I love about Doctor Who. However, the Doctor's clone commits genocide destroying every Dalek left. I think it's also reasonable to conclude Davros is amongst the dead.

Where to go from here?

I know I may be coming off as a massively pedantic fan boy. My answer to that statement: i'm not a fan boy. The show itself is no doubt far fetched by having a 900 year old alien who looks like a middle aged Human who travels in a time machine that is larger on the inside. But surely there are some limits. It's beginning to wear thin which is a shame because I love the Daleks.
Last edited by Joel; 06-15-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:16 PM   #2734
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: The Official Doctor Who Thread
It would work better if the audience wasn't continually expected to believe that the Daleks were defeated once and for all only for them to show up alive and well in a later story.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-15-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #2735
Joel

Quote:
There's also another juicy rumour about who Timothy Dalton is playing. Supposedly the Chancellor of the High Council of Time Lords.

You can lay those rumours to rest

http://io9.com/5291509/your-first-lo...ig-guest-stars

Just when I thought the show couldn't possibly improve on the S4 finale...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #2736
QuiGonJ

I really hope they stop recycling actors and characters that are lost... forever! (but not really)

Getting a might cheezy, if you ask me.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 AM   #2737
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJ View Post
I really hope they stop recycling actors and characters that are lost... forever! (but not really)

Getting a might cheezy, if you ask me.
You haven't been reading the rumors, eh? The current scuttlebutt is that the entire Time War, all of the "Last of the Time Lords" stuff is supposed to be reset when Tennant's Doctor goes out the door.

But JAMES BOND IN DOCTOR WHO! I pretty much had to change my pants when I first heard that was happening.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #2738
Joel

Quote:
But JAMES BOND IN DOCTOR WHO!
All hyped over here too, dude! Let's hope they resurrect the idea from S2 to have Stephen Fry contribute toward the show, eh?

I've actually been pretty impressed with the guests they've had on the show:

- Simon Pegg
- Kylie Minogue
- Anthony Head
- Ardal O'Hanlon
- Peter Davison
- Simon Callow
- Colin Salmon
- Sir Derek Jacobi
- Elisabeth Sladen

Sir Ian McKellen has a place on that list if you ask me!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 AM   #2739
Taril

From the set of filming for the first episode..
That's not how i had pictured him dressing at all. Very interesting.

more.
http://io9.com/photogallery/riverzong/
Last edited by Taril; 07-20-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM   #2740
Taril

No replies so far? Wow. I figured this would have been big news here. lol
Unless everyone hates the new look.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #2741
DOSGuy

Um, okay, thoughts...

Cute girl, lose the dummy next to her.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM   #2742
QuiGonJ

What? No comments on the End of Time?

Nicely acted, just don't know I liked the story very much.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #2743
bazboyz

I enjoyed the Final 2 eps .I realy hope that Matt Smith can deliver now as the doctor
Old 01-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #2744
Tetsuro

Well, I personally felt that The End of Time was a perfect swansong for RTD's era - utter crap.

All this time, ever since they brought up the possibility of the Timelords making a comeback, I had been waiting for it only for Davies to give us (and Moffat, who actually had asked RTD to change the ending so he could use the Timelords during his own tenure) a big fat "f*** you" by basically telling us that it's totally out of the question and impossible. I sure hope Moffat will come up with something to undo this unholy mess of a continuity.

I dunno about David Tennant, under some other producer he might have been decent but to me he'll always come across as the one drunk on his moral high horse (plus his sideburns piss me off). But I know one thing for sure, I won't miss RTD and his lame copouts.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #2745
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Old 01-17-2010, 10:42 AM   #2746
Tetsuro

What?

I'm sick and tired of everyone drooling over Tennant without even giving Matt Smith a chance - before he has led a single episode!
Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #2747
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Who said anything about Matt Smith? I was talking about yet another "Let's kick RTD as he goes out the door" reaction to the finale. It was awesome. Don't have any problems with it, other than I would ahve liked to have seen the Time Lords come back "for real".

Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #2748
Tetsuro

Well personally I think it sucked. I'd hope the double-copout was supposed to be ironic if I didn't know that it'd be far too subtle for RTD.

Sides, I've been kicking RTD since 2008.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #2749
QuiGonJ

I'll kick him on one issue: RTD comes up with great setups. I mean, he thinks of stuff fans would love... "Daleks v. Cybermen, fighting on the streets of London! Modern London!" "Let's bring back the Time Lords!" "The Master takes over the entire planet, making life a living hell for the Professor!"

Then he comes up with "Oh, flick a switch and waaa laaa! No more battle!" "Oh, here's a massive reset button/Paradox generator/wibbly wobbly fake science thingy" and all dramatic tension from the setup loses its fizz like day-old Coke. Just wish he was better at the resolution part of things.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #2750
Tetsuro

Doctor Who Thread's Invasion of Earth 2010AD
Just when we thought Russell T Davies was finished dicking around with canon:

http://unrealityshout.com/blogs/rege...o-now-immortal

Not only does he feel obligated to address this issue NOW, when there's two more regenerations to go - but he's going to address this in a SPINOFF.

From now on, RTD stands for "Russell Total Douche".

Yes, I apologize for the gaudy thread title.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #2751
ryche

I've started watching this show...crazy how no one has commented on it in though in 3 years. Curious how this 50th anniversary will be like.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #2752
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryche View Post
I've started watching this show...crazy how no one has commented on it in though in 3 years. Curious how this 50th anniversary will be like.
Any thoughts? I was really into it in 2007 up to the second season with the 11th doctor, but I haven't been keeping up with it too well recently. Planning on seeing the 50th anniversary though.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:50 AM   #2753
ryche

I've liked it
Old 02-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #2754
fast-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
All hyped over here too, dude! Let's hope they resurrect the idea from S2 to have Stephen Fry contribute toward the show, eh?

I've actually been pretty impressed with the guests they've had on the show:

- Simon Pegg
- Kylie Minogue
- Anthony Head
- Ardal O'Hanlon
- Peter Davison
- Simon Callow
- Colin Salmon
- Sir Derek Jacobi
- Elisabeth Sladen

Sir Ian McKellen has a place on that list if you ask me!
Where did Peter guest on ?