Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-04-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Re: Max Payne II
I thought max payne 2 was using the same tech just modified. So since they arent making a whole new engine it shouldnt take as long.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
Alianant
Its comes out in december or in January. Yes, itill just use some stuff modifyed, therefor bulletime may look better, in this case. The reson it took 4 years to make MP1 is because it had to ahve its very own spectial engin. No engin out there could support Bullet Time. Its like Black and White 2. They are just transforming the old engin.

3ghz, GF 6800 128mb, 1gig of DDR

w00t
Old 01-04-2003, 06:50 PM   #3
biXen
Doom 3 will appeal to far less gamers than people seem to think. It seems scary, and scary I don't find fun. Besides it has a good graphical engine but the game itself doesn't look that good IMO.

About Max Payne 2, yes it has a lot of competition, 2003 for the first time seems good gamewise. It'll come out sometime this year, but it might be late... My guess is summer or fall.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:40 AM   #4
functionxl
Max Payne II
When does it come out?
Old 01-05-2003, 12:51 AM   #5
Sloth
I dont know why they are making a whole new Max Payne to begin with, it took them forever to do the first one.

The original game still kicks ass over the stuff thats still out, in fact other than DooM 3 I dont' see much competition for it on the horizon either.

I think they should have just done an expansion pack. Good story + action is what drives max payne.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:22 AM   #6
Maniac536
I was watching G4 the other night and they said that MP2 was listed as 2004. However, to G4's credibility they said they got this from Take Two or they probably were talking about the PS2 version.

Any comments?

-Maniac

Old 01-05-2003, 03:18 AM   #7
j
Quote:
Originally posted by biXen:
Doom 3 will appeal to far less gamers than people seem to think. It seems scary, and scary I don't find fun. Besides it has a good graphical engine but the game itself doesn't look that good IMO.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think D3 will appeal to a whole lot more people than MP (or MP2 for that matter), mainly just because it's a new "Doom". Also, it will be hyped like f*ck and a lot of people still buy their games just based on screenshots.

Some scary games are fun, but even a bad scary game can be a big seller. Just look at the Resident Evil franchise.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sloth:
other than DooM 3 I dont' see much competition for it on the horizon either
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't really see those two competing, atleast not head-on, because the games are just so different.

Jos satut olemaan suomalainen, niin osta paita.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:52 AM   #8
Maddieman

They plan to release Max Payne 2 late 2003, early 2004. By then, everyone will be bored with Doom 3.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
biXen
Quote:
Originally posted by j:
I think D3 will appeal to a whole lot more people than MP (or MP2 for that matter), mainly just because it's a new "Doom". Also, it will be hyped like f*ck and a lot of people still buy their games just based on screenshots.

Some scary games are fun, but even a bad scary game can be a big seller. Just look at the Resident Evil franchise.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Just because people will buy it doesn't mean it will appeal to them. My point is that Doom 3 is far less an action game than the first 2. Especially because it seems like it will be a pretty heavy game, so there will be carefully planned enemies etc. instead of a flood of them. For me personally I'm not gonna buy it, it seemed boring and I don't like cheap scares. If you want a good scare you buy Silent Hill, definately not Resident Evil. GTA3 is one of the few pop games that are actually good, Max Payne has different qualities, and I'd say Max Payne 2 appeals to far more people than Doom 3. Sadly the average game buyer is an idiot, and companies have to go that way... And because there's 8 million bucks in releasing MP2 in 2003 I kinda figure they'll go for that, they've had over 2 years then.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:55 AM   #10
bullion
well, i think remedy got enough money for selling the max payne franchise, they don't need to rush the game out this year if it just isn't ready, but i do believe it'll be out by the end of the year.

i'm gonna buy both, mp2 and doom3 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and dnf too! (in 2006)
Old 01-06-2003, 06:18 AM   #11
Maddieman

Quote:
And because there's 8 million bucks in releasing MP2 in 2003 I kinda figure they'll go for that, they've had over 2 years then.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Seeing as the Take 2 announcement stated late 2003 to early 2004, for a release; don't you think that Remedy have been given a slight extension on this 8 million thing? Either way, another year should be ample time to finish it.

As for Doom 3, I'm not sure when it's released; but I'd give it about 3 months lifespan for the average person. That of course goes for Max Payne II too, since they both appear to have a linear level structure. But until we see more media from both, I can't really make an accurate prediction.

[ 01-06-2003, 06:21 AM: Message edited by: Maddieman ]
Old 01-06-2003, 08:32 AM   #12
biXen
Allright, time to bring out the heavy prediction artillery, I was right about Max Payne and I'll be right again (I hope) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

When VE3d.com put up their latest poll about what was our most highly anticipated game for 2003, they didn't have Max Payne 2 there, so Aki Määttä of Remedy mailed them and notified them about that. Which in turn would lead me to believe that Remedy figures 2003 as highly likely themself, i.e. has that as an inner deadline unless all fails. Besides, I think they've had a lot of time already, they basically said they made most of the finished Max Payne in the last year and so on, and they've had soon 2 for nr 2, so that should work fine.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:46 AM   #13
Bruce Hamilton
Quote:
Originally posted by Maddieman:
...I'd give it about 3 months lifespan for the average person. That of course goes for Max Payne II too,...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Huh? You give MPII a 3 month life span? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
How do you expect anyone to remember your name, if you can't spell it right yourself, Broussard? It's basic positioning... None of that matters... It'll be done when it's done.... It's the spirit of the law, not the letter.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:27 AM   #14
Maddieman

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Hamilton:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Maddieman:
...I'd give it about 3 months lifespan for the average person. That of course goes for Max Payne II too,...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Huh? You give MPII a 3 month life span? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]graemlins/doh.gif[/img]

Not for me personally [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , but the levels are very linear and shortlived - plus there is no multiplayer. /ducks for cover

If the design element hadn't appealed to me (and it's not everyone's thing) I'm not sure if it would have lasted as long - sure there are some good mods out there, but I doubt many of them are strong enough to keep people from trading in the game for a new one.

Don't get me wrong - I think it's one of the best games I've ever played - the bullet-time is a strong gameplay enhancement, the controls are spot on, and the game is much better than many people give it credit for - but it's not without its faults; and I just get the impression that casual gamers will play it through to the end once or twice and then trade it.

Then again, we've not seen anything from the Remedy camp as far as mpII is concerned (except a desktop icon). We have no idea what to expect at the moment; and until we are given something to work with, we can only draw assumptions from the first game.
Old 01-06-2003, 11:53 AM   #15
RollingBrass
Late 2003/Early 2004 is the widely accept release date, although it still is officially When It's Done. (<----- cheap post in order to sneak in an exclamation of "HOLY SHIT! j is back! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] \o/ [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] )
Old 01-06-2003, 02:22 PM   #16
Sloth
life span of 3D shooters is largely dependent upon the modding community. And in this case Doom 3 looks like it offers a ton of features for making outrageous mods.

Granted 95% of the userbase is gonna have to upgrade to play Doom 3 at an acceptable resolution and framerate, but thats expected with id games.

Best part of Max Payne I think was the atmosphere, like the constant night time and snow, coupled with being in New Yorks ugly underbelly. The tech was cool to be sure, but I don't think needed to be redone.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:21 PM   #17
functionxl
[quote]Originally posted by Maddieman:
Quote:
That of course goes for Max Payne II too, since they both appear to have a linear level structure.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You'll have to excuse me, considering I'm fairly new to gaming terms, but please explain what you mean by "linear level structure".
Old 01-06-2003, 05:35 PM   #18
Maddieman

Linear - as in a straight line.

From start to finish, a to b, no alternate routes. All of the levels have a very strict route with very few (if any) opportunities to stray from the path. A good counterexample would be Grand Theft Auto 3.

But basically, with Max Payne - no matter how many times you play it, everything happens in the exact same way; except the player's actions (which don't really have much of an impact, either). All of the levels and ai are very tightly scripted to make sure of this. While this does help ensure that it's a fast action game; personally I would like to see some more interaction with the enemy characters.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:43 PM   #19
functionxl
Thanks, I understand now.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:21 AM   #20
Bruce Hamilton
Quote:
Then again, we've not seen anything from the Remedy camp...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I posted a comment about MPII in the "Max Payne Discontinued" thread earlier, and Joe3DR responded with the following...

Quote:
Can't wait to see what folks see what Remedy and us have come up with. There's some very cool shit in there.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hopefully, he'll follow up with something other than WID. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
How do you expect anyone to remember your name, if you can't spell it right yourself, Broussard? It's basic positioning... None of that matters... It'll be done when it's done.... It's the spirit of the law, not the letter.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:32 AM   #21
j
Quote:
Just because people will buy it doesn't mean it will appeal to them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's some weird logic. You mean, just because I went to see Two Towers, it doesn't mean it appealed to me?

The biggest seller is the one with the biggest appeal, don't you think? Sure, it may not be the best product, people might not enjoy it as much as they might enjoy some other product, but they put their money in it, because it's what appeals to them.

Quote:
If you want a good scare you buy Silent Hill, definately not Resident Evil.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is all just personal preferences, but I enjoyed Eternal Darkness much more. Resident Evils are crap, agreed.

Quote:
GTA3 is one of the few pop games that are actually good...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Again, personal preferences, but I know a lot of popular games that were good.

Quote:
Originally posted by RollingBrass:
"HOLY SHIT! j is back! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] \o/ [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] )
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm back like a vertebrae. And I've been back for a while already [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Now you all can get pissed off at me too again, instead of just biXen [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

EDIT: A few typos.

[ 01-07-2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: j ]

Jos satut olemaan suomalainen, niin osta paita.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #22
biXen
I'll answer simply. Doom 3 is a game that people will buy for other reasons than being an excellent game that they like with a good gameplay...Quite frankly I don't think that many people will even dare to play through it, seemed quite scary [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 02:18 AM   #23
SkavenRMD
Remedy Staff
Quote:
Then again, we've not seen anything from the Remedy camp as far as mpII is concerned (except a desktop icon).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And I'm afraid even that is just a placeholder. [img]graemlins/hhg.gif[/img]

When creating a sequel, what would make most sense? You've got three options:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Creating new content using the same technology</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Creating new content and improving the technology</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Creating completely new content and technology</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">With the schedule indicated in the news release, which option would make the mose sense? Think about it.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:16 AM   #24
biXen
Skav,

First option Serious Sam: SE, GTA Vice City (wasn't really a sequel anyway)
Second option Max Payne 2 (I assume)
Third option Doom 3 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (not that that counts really, don't think they'd have much to go on if they made new content with the old engine [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 01-08-2003, 07:06 AM   #25
NinjaOutkast G4
one thing,
when max payne2 comes out it better have mp

awsome game
Old 01-08-2003, 07:13 AM   #26
Devil Master

Quote:
Originally posted by NinjaOutkast G4:
one thing,

awsome game
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">MAX PAYNE 2 WILL NOT HAVE MULTIPLAYER BECAUSE THE MAX PAYNE ENGINE DOES NOT HAVE NETCODE!!! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-08-2003, 08:33 AM   #27
SkavenRMD
Remedy Staff
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Do not worry. I hereby promise there will be "mp" in Max Payne II, by which you of course mean "Max Payne".
Old 01-08-2003, 09:50 AM   #28
Co11
hehe... good one!
Old 01-08-2003, 05:02 PM   #29
functionxl
I'm just trying to figure this out, but devil master said that the mp engine does not have netcode, so why not add it? Btw, I'm new to engines and the technical gaming world.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:26 PM   #30
RollingBrass
Quote:
Originally posted by functionxl:
I'm just trying to figure this out, but devil master said that the mp engine does not have netcode, so why not add it?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You have to build the engine around netcode. They would have to start the engine from scratch to add netcode.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:05 PM   #31
Sloth
even if you had multiplayer in max payne 2 theres no way to do bullet time in a multiplayer game.

And if you take out the bullet time , max payne isn't really a good deathmatch game, get unreal tournament or quake 3 or HL mods for mp.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:32 PM   #32
Maddieman

Before this thread goes any further, may I just point out that there already is a similar one running parallel to this in the modding forum: Multiplayer

Just to get my point clear; IF netcode was implemented, and IF multiplayer was possible, I still think bullet time would be possible. The situation is not bullet-time or bust; there are adequate solutions. One, as I have already pointed out, is to have a global or smart slow-motion that affects everyone: Bullets become visible; people can aim more accurately, etc. Instead of time slowing down during shoot dodges, you would simply change it so that the characters just perform dives. When time slows down, then they get the benefits of shootdodging.

No net code? So what? Implement split screen multi, invite a few friends round and have a blast.

Just a couple of ideas, mind - I know the whole 'it can't be done' nonsense.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:19 PM   #33
neeek

Creating new content using the same technology
Creating new content and improving the technology
Creating completely new content and technology
With the schedule indicated in the news release, which option would make the mose sense? Think about it.

ummmmm ill pick option number 3 thanks

no wait number 2, 3 would take too long and all you need to improve on the current technology of the engine is the higher polycount of character models, weapons, backgrounds of levels, hi-res textures, real time shadows, lighting, cutscenes, lips that move when talking, more better improved variety of shoododges, much more refined and improved bullettime or have many types of bullettime to choose from, more destructable objects and interaction of levels- i.e. destroy everything in levels in the game as in--
shoot it: enemies, lights, windows, EVERYTHING
blow it up: buildings, ppl, EVERYTHING
move it: move all sorts of things in levels
use it: switches, buttons, taps, anything
throw it: bottles, chairs, tables, knives, barrels, garbage cans, snow from mp1, bodies EVERYTHING
break it: enemies bodyparts like arms legs back neck, anything like that
burn it: anything that is flammable and burns easily, even enemies
disarm it: disarm enemies w/wo weapons and use them as shields
drag it: drag dead bodies around to conceal for stealth and not to alarm baddies of max's pressence
shake it: shake enemies for items and powerups like keys to certain doors, detonaters for certain bombs, health, limited time strength for weapons
drop it: drop baddies down, as well as other stuff
just make the whole game as interactive as you could and make everything so destructable
PUMP IT UP TO THE MAX

in other words BIGGER, BETTER, LOUDER, HUGER, FASTER, STRONGER, BLOODIER, VIOLENTER, GREATER, AND LONGER.

max is gonna give out sum PAYNE this year.
yeahhhhhhhhhhh.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:10 AM   #34
SkavenRMD
Remedy Staff
Quote:
all you need to improve on the current technology of the engine is the higher polycount of character models, weapons, backgrounds of levels, hi-res textures, real time shadows, lighting, cutscenes, lips that move when talking, more better improved variety of shoododges, much more refined and improved bullettime or have many types of bullettime to choose from, more destructable objects and interaction of levels- i.e. destroy everything in levels in the game as in--
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Except for the shadows and lighting, none of those really are engine improvements - they'd be just artwork or gameplay tweaks. You don't need to improve the engine to push more polygons (unless your poly pipeline sucked to begin with) - increased polycounts and texture resolutions only come with better hardware. Facial and finger animation are just the same skinned skeletal animation you've already seen since Half-Life, with just more bones. ( Shame on game developers who have hyped these as "engine features". [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

And what comes to gameplay features, they've nothing to do with the engine.

Quote:
throw it: bottles, chairs, tables, knives, barrels, garbage cans, snow from mp1, bodies EVERYTHING
drag it: drag dead bodies around to conceal for stealth and not to alarm baddies of max's pressence
shake it: shake enemies for items and powerups like keys to certain doors, detonaters for certain bombs, health, limited time strength for weapons
just make the whole game as interactive as you could and make everything so destructable
PUMP IT UP TO THE MAX
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Um... do you want fries with that?

*tries to think about a clever control scheme which would allow all these things yet keeping the game flow fast and action intense*

*imagines the programmers' and project managers' reaction when proposing all these features, and the years they would take to implement and balance correctly*

Umm.... naaa. Besides, these ideas are produced by Captain Obvious™ - they've all individually appeared in various other game titles, and are the most obvious course of action that everyone expects, but nobody can do all at once given the resources available. You have to rack your imagination harder than that if you want to produce actually worthwhile ideas. You could just as well said, "Make the game better and improve stuff." Hint, hint. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 01:57 AM   #35
biXen
Well whatever, one thing we can trust is we get no shitty screenshots from Max Payne 2. That's one thing I love Remedy for, they don't release 640x480 noAA noAF shots of just a random screenshot in a random map. They carefully pick the hottest screenies so that we will drool even more, choke ourself and crook over and die in happyness... And bah, I really gotta get back to mapping, Max Payne is starting to bore me [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:43 AM   #36
Maddieman

Quote:
That's one thing I love Remedy for, they don't release 640x480 noAA noAF shots of just a random screenshot in a random map.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh really!? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Then perhaps you could explain this screenshot:

Old 01-09-2003, 05:19 PM   #37
biXen
Quote:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by biXen:
That's one thing I love Remedy for, they don't release 640x480 noAA noAF shots of just a random screenshot in a random map.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh really!? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Then perhaps you could explain this screenshot:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Seems like about the same amount I've released from my maps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But this is from 3DR, not Remedy, I said nothing in defense of those weirdos in Texas or wherever [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2003, 12:38 AM   #38
theblindtree
Quote:
Originally posted by neeek:

Creating new content using the same technology
Creating new content and improving the technology
Creating completely new content and technology
With the schedule indicated in the news release, which option would make the mose sense? Think about it.

ummmmm ill pick option number 3 thanks

no wait number 2, 3 would take too long and all you need to improve on the current technology of the engine is the higher polycount of character models, weapons, backgrounds of levels, hi-res textures, real time shadows, lighting, cutscenes, lips that move when talking, more better improved variety of shoododges, much more refined and improved bullettime or have many types of bullettime to choose from, more destructable objects and interaction of levels- i.e. destroy everything in levels in the game as in--
PUMP IT UP TO THE MAX

in other words BIGGER, BETTER, LOUDER, HUGER, FASTER, STRONGER, BLOODIER, VIOLENTER, GREATER, AND LONGER.

max is gonna give out sum PAYNE this year.
yeahhhhhhhhhhh.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This message was brought to you by the Generic Game Idea Association (GGIA). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just yokin', of course, but no game idea should start out this way. To me, it's not so much as them being there, but WHY they should be there. Look at bullet time. At first glance, it may seem like something that was cool just because the Matrix did it. Dig deeper and there's a highly valid reason for it to be there...it's effective. It's not just a concept anymore, it's ACTUALLY accomplishing/establishing something.

But as Malibu Stacy would say: "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl...hehe!"

[ 01-09-2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: theblindtree ]
Old 01-10-2003, 04:56 PM   #39
Waiter

Hi all!

Just paid a visit hoping to see some different discussions than on the DNF-board .... but....

When does it come out?
Try WID...
Old 01-17-2003, 03:56 AM   #40
The Viper
There's one reason why Max 2 won't be late and that's money. As far as I know, some of the money (lots) Take 2 is going to pay RMD depends on whether MP 2 is released on time or not

P.S. man, it's been like a year since my last post [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]