3D Realms Anthology

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > 3D Realms Anthology
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2015, 05:46 PM   #1
jessen1977
Helpful tip for resolution issues for PC version with HDTV connected and GTX970.
I had a problem playing the games in full screen. It would not fit on the screen and it is like it is stretched beyond the boarders of my TV screen. I turned my resolution down from 1080P to 720P on my computer and then it started to display more correctly. It was irritating before I found this. I tried fiddling with the DOSBox options for hours. I ran the a game directly with DOSBox instead of the 3D Realms Anthology front end and it ran fine with no resolution issues. I decided to try different resolutions on my computer to see if one would work better with the front end. It is kind of a pain to do everything from command line when ~ symbol key doesn't work. I suppose I could try to map it but I just wanted the game to work. I found 720P works the best for me. I did have this running better on my older DLP TV and I had a different video card. My old video card was an R9 270x and ran fine on that. My current graphics card is a GTX 970 and my HDTV is a Samsung LCD 1080P. I hope this helps you avoid or ends hours of head ache. If any of the devs are reading this can you please add a screen resolution selector or better HDTV and possibly graphics card profile support in the next update?

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I hope this is helpful to both users and devs.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Hendricks266
Re: Helpful tip for resolution issues for PC version with HDTV connected and GTX970.
You need to adjust a setting on your TV so that it shows the entire picture instead of stretching it past the borders. Setting the resolution on your computer shouldn't matter, as long as you don't exceed what the TV can display.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
MrBlackCat

Re: Helpful tip for resolution issues for PC version with HDTV connected and GTX970.
Yep... I had to put my television into a Diagnostic Mode, locate a couple of dimension control settings and alter them for my PS3 to display correctly through the HDMI port. This was on a Sony WEGA display. The concept is the same for most displays however.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 07-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
jessen1977
I tried all of that with my TV, no matter what settings I tried the screen was cropped when my PC was on 1080P. When I went 4:3 I had the black bars cut off by the screen was still cropped over past the black bars. Maybe I just need to do a reimage on my PC. Then again maybe my TV just doesn't support that resolution and my best option was to turn my graphics down to 720P.
Last edited by jessen1977; 07-06-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #5
MrBlackCat

Hmm... sounded like overscan to me, but if you have ruled that out, I have no other suggestions.
Good luck.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 07-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
The Dukenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessen1977 View Post
I tried all of that with my TV, no matter what settings I tried the screen was cropped when my PC was on 1080P. When I went 4:3 I had the black bars cut off by the screen was still cropped over past the black bars. Maybe I just need to do a reimage on my PC. Then again maybe my TV just doesn't support that resolution and my best option was to turn my graphics down to 720P.
Could you ask Samsung about your tv model to see what resolution it supports?

What connection are you using to connect your pc to your tv? And which version of video card drivers are you using?
Old 07-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #7
Begather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendricks266 View Post
You need to adjust a setting on your TV so that it shows the entire picture instead of stretching it past the borders. Setting the resolution on your computer shouldn't matter, as long as you don't exceed what the TV can display.
Thanks for the suggestion here. I will follow these for sure.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:36 AM   #8
jessen1977
I'm using HDMI. Just found it weird that turning it down my resolution to 720P in Windows makes it work better.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:39 PM   #9
jessen1977
I figured out what was wrong. Right click on the middle of the screen and pick personalize I went to my settings in personalize and picked the display link and I found I set it to large text and other items size 150%. I reduced it to medium sized text and other items 125% and it is now displaying normally. I feel kind of silly. Hopefully no one else made the same mistake as I have. On a bright note I figured out what it was.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #10
Begather
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessen1977 View Post
I'm using HDMI. Just found it weird that turning it down my resolution to 720P in Windows makes it work better.
http://www.loveandbuyit.net/product/...go-carpathian/
That is good for you. Keep using HDMI and do tell me if you face any kind of problem.