Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 AM   #41
kj_57701
Re: I feel sorry for GB
I've been laid off before myself (twice). It's not like the companies really wanted to, but they had no choice. The money was just not there and they folded shortly after. It sucks and it's hard financially. The last one happened 8 years ago and my wife and I am just now finally able to erase the credit-card debt that incurred during those hard times. In fact the second company was actually run by my boss of the first company, so I was in fact re-hired into another company run by the same manager. It does happen and I hope you (Joe) gets the opportunity to do so (if you still want to at that time)!

In any case, Happy new year everybody! I hope 2010 turns out to be a great year for all of you!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 AM   #42
unforgiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yatta View Post
Unless you're kidding, you do know he's still a multi-millionaire, right?
multi-millionaire ? ahhhhhhh, that's better to say multi-billionaires
Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 AM   #43
Jiminator

if you own a company that is worth $X dollars and because of your policies made it worth a fraction of that, then yes, that is your personal wealth.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:21 AM   #44
Scotty

If 3DR made $40M from selling Max Payne, and spent $20M on DNF, those transactions still net out to +$20M.

However, if $20M is generating 3%/year interest (which is pretty much impossible to do with CDs or other safe investments with recession-era interest rates, though it would've been easy to make over 5%/year when times were better), that's only $600K/year, which may not be enough to keep the doors open.

Actually *spending* that last $20M would be very dangerous, and would amount to corporate suicide if DNF didn't ship and/or didn't make back enough to fund the next project.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #45
duubhglas

Changing the subject just a little bit, I know George loves movies, and I just found something Orson Welles said once:

"The enemy of art is the absence of limitations."

And then another filmmaker I don't know completes:

[...] If you don't have limitations, you start throwing technology or money at a problem. But if you have a limitation, you have to find a creative solution, and therefore you create art.

I've found this at a book called "Fast, cheap & under control", by John Gaspard, about how many filmmakers (as Roger Corman, John Cassavetes, Ron Howard, John Carpenter and many more) made their movies without a big budget, with time limitations and etc.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #46
crunchy superman

You could also make a comparison with George Lucas. For Ep4 he had no clout, little resources or money. On Ep1 he had basically infinite resources & total control.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:18 PM   #47
duubhglas

Another analogy with Star Wars: George Lucas directed the first one, and it was great, but in the sequel, he gave it to another director and just produced it, and it was even greater.
Georgre Broussard directed the first Duke Nukem, and it was great...!

And I remember reading that for the DNF trailer back in 2001, he was "inspired" by the Star Wars trailer (I guess it was Phantom Menace).
Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #48
EvanQuinn
Dopefish Re: I feel sorry for GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecy holder View Post
I feel sorry for the people who literally waited since the first minute of hearing about DNF. Those poor little bastards didn't know what they were getting themselves into.
How the **** could I know what I was getting into? I was 6, and my dad was like "Hey don't worry there will be a sequel. Let me C-Net that shit for you (because at the time I think CNET was like google in a way) and he was like "Don't worry son, we'll get this new Duke Nukem Forever the day it comes out in a year"

This caused me to stab my dad to death. ******* liar. I'm still waiting.

Dopefish.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #49
Duke's New Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanQuinn View Post
This caused me to stab my dad to death. ******* liar.
The Mighty Quinn!
Old 01-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #50
fast-1

In random words other Duke games have been released he could of meant one of them.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #51
SpinX

I remember streaming the 1998 video via dial-in telephone connection and then wait 15 minutes to see 30 secondes and then be in awe, wait another 20 minutes, etc...

yeah, i used altavista back then

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 01-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #52
duubhglas

Altavista.Digital... I used that a lot too. The ancestor of Google.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:59 PM   #53
8IronBob

Ahh yes, Altavista, HotBot, Magellan...yeah, those bring back memories. Now it's down to Bing vs. Google, boy where web searching has gone over that past decade. Now that Yahoo was taken over, who gives a rat's ass about them? I remember when Yahoo was actually GOOD, now they're even lucky to escape selling out to M$.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #54
Superrayman3
Honestly I don't feel sorry for GB after everything he put everyone through I feel more sorry for the original staff of DNF more than anything. he underpaid his staff promising them a big payoff when DNF was released (which they won't recieve because they left the company). he promised a game which has yet to see the light of day in retail (no game should take more than 7 years to make EVER) making a great game is a nobel cause don't get me wrong but you also have to know when it's time to say we've got enough stuff for a great game GB has to make everything TOO PERFECT (he restarted with a new engine when he found out about a new graphics engine that was beter instead of just accepting and appreciating what he had regardless of what his staff had managed to accomlish) I understand that GB wanted to make a groundbreaking game and I respect that but he also need to know when his desire is going too far
Old 07-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #55
KO Gilligan

You Necro'ed this old thread to start a (yet another) bitch session about George?

Your post is made of stink and fail.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #56
Superrayman3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
You Necro'ed this old thread to start a (yet another) bitch session about George?

Your post is made of stink and fail.

wrong I Necro'ed this thread to point the truth out to George and if you have a problem with that then do us a favor and GTFO the forums
Old 07-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #57
wildwood

Sorry, but your thread is definately made of stink and fail..

What did you say that he does not already know?
Old 07-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #58
WarThrash

I'd rather someone Necro an old thread than start a pointless new one about the same subject.

Jesus. Start a new topic and it'll get locked and referred to an older thread...
...or post in an older thread and you'll get criticized for resurrecting a dead thread.

You can't win either way can you?
Last edited by WarThrash; 07-26-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #59
Water12356

Thumbs down Re: I feel sorry for GB
And do you think your post helps this thread or kills it more? I'm going for the latter. And the ones who posted before you arent much better.

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus