Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Shadow Master

Question Eduke32, will it support Mark McWane's DN3D music rearrangements
"Eduke32, will it support Mark McWane's DN3D music rearrangements?" That's the question. (Kill me if this was already asked/answered somewhere)

Currently the only ports that seem to support them (as far as I know) are xDuke (no, not the xBox one, the Win32) and Rancidmeat's DN3D for Win32 port. And I love those rearrangements.

[My website | Public Commander Keen Forum | The Commander Keen Wiki]
Old 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
TerminX

Re: Eduke32, will it support Mark McWane's DN3D music rearrangements
Nope, no mp3 support at this time. I've been waiting on JFAud from JonoF for something like 2 years now... it might be time to hack in support for it myself. There was once a modified version of EDuke32 which supported mp3, but the guy that made it refused to release the source code and thus nobody ever saw any benefit from it.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:53 AM   #3
Shadow Master

Actually, I was thinking about Ogg Vorbis support.
As far as I know, adding MP3 support for a GNU GPL application causes more trouble than adding Ogg Vorbis support, because of the MP3 license or something.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #4
TerminX

Mp3 and ogg would be added at the same time.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
Iggy

What's the latest word from JonoF about JFAud?
Old 01-07-2007, 01:39 PM   #6
NightFright

I am quite surprised nothing happened with the MP3/OGG support at all during all that time, too. And I am even more disappointed about compatible48x who did not reveal his source code, it could have solved the problem at least temporarily.
I don't doubt JonoF will finally come up with JFAud, but I am not so sure about when. Plus, Mark McWane promised to do all-new renderings of the Duke3D MIDIs with superior sound banks which hasn't happened until now, either.
Patience is a virtue they say, but once in a while there comes a time when it is growing thin anyway.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
drvarek

why the heck not add support via OpenAL? i suppose that the basic "hack" could be made in couple of days...
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #8
Dopefish7590

ogg support would allow importing of duke nukem manhattan project music like the theme (I Love that version)
Last edited by Dopefish7590; 01-08-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
kaotic_oz

U do realize openGL is rendering while openAL is sound? and on jonof's site it says JFAud is going to support openAL.

(nice quick edit there dope lol)
Last edited by kaotic_oz; 01-08-2007 at 12:59 PM. Reason: meh
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
Dopefish7590

^^^^^^^
i think drvarek knows
Old 01-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
Tea Monster

Hmmm almost like waiting for another famous Duke Nukem project.
.... ooops, don't go there!

Hey, if Duke is such a kick-ass, take-charge kinda guy, why do we have to constantly wait for everything?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #12
The Commander

ha ha lol

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
Dopefish7590

deleted
Old 01-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Dopefish7590

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotic_oz
(nice quick edit there dope lol)
thx
Old 01-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
MarkMcWane
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightFright View Post
I am quite surprised nothing happened with the MP3/OGG support at all during all that time, too. And I am even more disappointed about compatible48x who did not reveal his source code, it could have solved the problem at least temporarily.
I don't doubt JonoF will finally come up with JFAud, but I am not so sure about when. Plus, Mark McWane promised to do all-new renderings of the Duke3D MIDIs with superior sound banks which hasn't happened until now, either.
Patience is a virtue they say, but once in a while there comes a time when it is growing thin anyway.
Hi everyone. I am still looking to release all new arrangements to the Duke Nukem 3D game, and I have actually completed a majority of the tracks. However, I am the CIO of a publically traded health care company by day, and my schedule over the past two years has disallowed as much music development as I would have liked...just the nature of my career. I am expecting to post all new tracks (not to include the Atomic Pack, etc.) at the end of February. Whether or not I pull the other tracks is questionable...I may leave them and simply add the "new" versions. The new tracks are significantly better than my original versions, simply as I have added all new sequencing software, and more importantly, all new sample libraries, to include the entire East West Quantum Leap Platinum line, Symphonic Choirs, and a host of other sound libraries and related applications. Sensible use of post-processing also allowed for tracks that not only sound completely realistic, but without the reverb issues in my first versions. Thanks.

Mark McWane
Old 01-12-2007, 02:51 PM   #16
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
I've been waiting on JFAud from JonoF for something like 2 years now... it might be time to hack in support for it myself.
Ah man, it'd be totally awesome if you did - So please do, I'm getting tired of the old midis (although granted, some of them are good but I just don't find midis to really fit all this HRP stuff anymore)
Old 01-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
Shadow Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
Ah man, it'd be totally awesome if you did - So please do, I'm getting tired of the old midis (although granted, some of them are good but I just don't find midis to really fit all this HRP stuff anymore)
Ditto.

Personally I prefer the MIDI version of "Space Storm" (E2L2 background), because the current rearranged one is too short. But if Mark's going to make new rearrangements of all the music...

Old 01-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #18
NightFright

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcWane View Post
Hi everyone. I am still looking to release all new arrangements to the Duke Nukem 3D game, and I have actually completed a majority of the tracks. However, I am the CIO of a publically traded health care company by day, and my schedule over the past two years has disallowed as much music development as I would have liked...just the nature of my career. I am expecting to post all new tracks (not to include the Atomic Pack, etc.) at the end of February. Whether or not I pull the other tracks is questionable...I may leave them and simply add the "new" versions. The new tracks are significantly better than my original versions, simply as I have added all new sequencing software, and more importantly, all new sample libraries, to include the entire East West Quantum Leap Platinum line, Symphonic Choirs, and a host of other sound libraries and related applications. Sensible use of post-processing also allowed for tracks that not only sound completely realistic, but without the reverb issues in my first versions. Thanks.

Mark McWane
Hey Mark, that's excellent news! I am glad you didn't give up on it after all, you're pretty busy for sure. Try to get it done till February 25, it's my b-day (though you will be doing this for everyone, of course, not just for myself)!