Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Videogamer555
Keen 64?
So named because it's a 3D version of the the original first episode of Commander Keen Marooned on Mars, and of course the Nintendo 64 was the first full 3D game console. Now it isn't made in N64 assembly code to run on an emu, it just refers to the 3D nature of the game, and it has its own EXE file to run on a computer actually. I just found this game while looking for more stuff about Keen. While I doubt it is made by ID software, I wonder does the developer have ID software's legal permission to make this? Or is it an example of illegal bahavior known as "copyright infringement"? It looks awesome and I already tried a beta demo of it (like that's only how far in development it is so far) and it looks really awesome (definitely promising if ID/3DRealms doesn't stop the developer from making it, with a law suit). I just wonder if it's legal or illegal for this game to be made, or legal or illegal for me to play it.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Nacho

Re: Keen 64?
http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Commander_Keen_64

According to that link it is a fan remake of Commander Keen 1 done in 3D. Legally this is not allowed without permission from ID Software which I am unsure they have...

The only true 3D Keen game only existed on paper as an idea by John Romero. That idea died when Super Mario 64 came out which was essentially his idea for what a 3D Keen game would be.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #3
Videogamer555
So with ID Software no longer an existing company, who should they get permission from now? Would that be 3D Realms (they seem to have taken over selling the CK games at least)? Also is it illegal if I play the game? Because if it's not illegal for me to download and play it, I intend to do so (it's a REALLY cool game) until someone complains and shuts down the fans making the game.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Rellik66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
So with ID Software no longer an existing company
LOL, wut?

http://www.idsoftware.com/
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
So with ID Software no longer an existing company, who should they get permission from now? Would that be 3D Realms (they seem to have taken over selling the CK games at least)? Also is it illegal if I play the game? Because if it's not illegal for me to download and play it, I intend to do so (it's a REALLY cool game) until someone complains and shuts down the fans making the game.
It's illegal to make not play. As the post above states however ID Software does indeed exist still, they are currently developing Rage as well as Doom 4. 3D Realms still sells Keen games due to a partnership that Apogee and ID had while those games were under development, thus the makers of Keen 64 would still have to ask permission from ID Software to develop their fan project.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:48 AM   #6
Videogamer555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik66 View Post
I never knew they still existed. I learn something new every day.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Holy nerco-bump from hell.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided