Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Ras

No audio
Starting today, I am getting no audio. My computer thinks everything's fine--no error messages, and activity on the volume mixers. I just don't get any sound from the speakers. I tried different speakers and headphones, to no avail. I thought it started when I was in the case to put in a new fan, but that might be a coincidence. I tried messing with the HD audio cable, but since that only connects the front panel audio, it shouldn't be the culprit. I was afraid my jacks might have gone bad--can you replace mobo jacks?--but I get the same static sound whether from the rear jacks or the fronts. Plus, the computer knows when I plug something into the jacks, so that's encouraging.

Now, I did a system restore to early this morning (the only restore point, unfortunately, but I definitely had sound after that time), and I reinstalled the drivers on my mobo disc. I then downloaded the newest drivers from Asus. Nothing.

Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M
Driver: Realtek Audio V51006196

Now, if your answer is get a sound card, you may be right. But, I would like to not sweep this under the rug if I can help it.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:20 AM   #2
NutWrench

Re: No audio
Did you check your Control Panel under "Hardware and Sound --> Sound --> Manage Audio Devices?" The HDMI output on newer video cards carries sound as well as video and your computer might have selected the HDMI port as the default output device.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Ras

Yeah, it's on Speakers, but that's interesting. I was thinking I might have to hope I could get someone (manufacturer or ASUS) to trade me a motherboard (which seems to be the solution for others with this problem), but maybe I could buy speakers with an HDMI input. I ultimately won't be able to use a physical sound card if I plan to go SLI, but if the video card carries it, maybe that would work.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
Inanimate Carbon Rod

This may sound silly, but are you sure you plugged the speaker cable into the right hole... ie the green one?

Some motherboards have an off green and a green speaker port.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Ras

Yeah, I've tried them all. It was working just fine until yesterday. I've found a thread where a lot of people with this board or a similar one have been having the issue. They've had to resort to a new board to solve it.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
Yeah, I've tried them all. It was working just fine until yesterday. I've found a thread where a lot of people with this board or a similar one have been having the issue. They've had to resort to a new board to solve it.
Wow... that is really shitty.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Ras

I'm trying to angle an RMA from newegg though I am literally two days over the limit. They require the whole system back. I figure even if they say yes, I'd rather spend $100 at Fry's for a new board (iBUY may let me swap the boards--I'm on with them now).