Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Rise of the Triad (1995) Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #41
GrimWoman

Re: My expansion pack for ROTT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per_Scan View Post
I, personally, have no idea but if nobody helps you here maybe you could try posting at the ROTT Forum (see my new sig!). It's pretty quiet just now but there are lots of knowledgable people lurking...
Keeping a small community in one place (3drealms forums) is a better idea, you let the community spread apart and it will fall apart.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #42
StoneFrog

Yeah. With Joe Siegler and co. still visiting now and then, I think the 3D Realms subforum is the best place for our little ROTT club.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #43
Per_Scan

I understand your point it's just that there are different people over there who don't frequent this board and might be able to help. But, as I say, I take your point about fragmenting an already small community.

FYI, I'm still going to visit that board, so there!! :P
Old 10-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #44
diakonov
I finished Monastery now and also finished the next level, Toxic Waste. In this level, I explore the feature in which the environment turns to be toxic when you hit a touchplate. There are some toxic rooms.

The next level... I still don't know. Maybe this time I'll feature elasto and mushroom modes, or maybe I'll do it in a secret level... I still don't know exactly what I'll do.
Old 10-23-2010, 05:38 PM   #45
Per_Scan

^
Wow! You really are working on it now, aren't you? Please, if you're doing a Shroom mode thing make it a secret level - I get bad motion sickness on the Shrooms!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #46
diakonov
I'm doing now the third level but it'll take a while because I'll have tests this week. The third level will have elasto and mushroom mode, but maybe i'll make this to be the secret level... or not. But don't worry, because there will be much more elasto modes.

The elasto modes will be in areas that have traps to difficult your life. Otherwise it won't be fun. Muchrooms will be in areas with more enemies (because of the crazy aim). But I'm planning for this level to have more traps than rooms with much enemies.

Don't worry... it won't be like the Grand Vomitorium. But I'm planning to make a room with many elastos and lavawalls, like one secret level of darkwar (Eight Ways to Hell).
Old 10-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #47
diakonov
I didn't finish the level I'm making now, but I already made the first part of the next 2 maps, inspired in a dream I had today.

Unfortunetely, everytime I dream I'm playing a game, that game generaly is better than the actual game in real life, it has... more features, more realism. So because of this it's almost impossible making a level the way I dream.

And also I simply can't remember all the details. If I could, maybe the next levels would be even more inetresting! I'll try to remember all the details, only to make the maps look better. Or better, I could even add more things than it had on dream, so the levels will have more features!

The first level I remember is a room full of fences... the level I'll make will be based on these fences and the walls and floor will have yellow tones. But I only remember one room and the next one a thin and long room... without walls or fence. Hey, I remembered now... there was a room that had a shape similar to the central room in E1A8 darkwar.

The second level I remember is... well... some rooms with brick walls, some walls with that oscuro face, I was using a mp40, there were some lavawalls. And I remember a lavawall with red squares (I know what it is).

The sky of both levels was a night sky.

Another level I remember... it had a red/pink ceiling and floor. It was a room with a grey wall (I know what it is). And I was using that mushroom powerup. Also, everytime I was hit by enemy, the camera turned around a bit (like the mushroom powerup). I think I dreamed rott with some bug... or new feature? In my front there was a dreaming low guard in front of a pink door. It was all.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #48
Per_Scan

Wow. So, basically we will eventually get to play through a manifestation of you inner concious and psyche? That's pretty intense.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #49
diakonov
Not exactly. Most levels came from ideas I had when awake. Maybe only these 2 levels will be based on my dreams, or more, depending if I will return to dream playing ROTT again.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #50
diakonov
I finished one more level, Fence World. This is another big level, this time full of fences. Fences and more fences... and also flying gadgets. It took about 17 minutes to finish.

The level is OK, despite some errors caused by WinRottGL, as when you walk in the most left part of the map, you walk on invisible touchplates that work and that shouldn't be there. Also, when you load a game, the game crashes by unknown reason. The game also start to have problems when there are many maskedwalls in any level.

If it wasn't by that, the level would be more fenced.

Maybe the next WinnRott will solve these nasty problems.

Next level... Warm fear (maybe I'll choose another name).
Old 11-10-2010, 01:28 PM   #51
Per_Scan

Nice to know you're working hard! Are you sure it's WinROTT that causes the problems? Does it play okay in the original ROTT?

Also, you should keep the name Warm Fear for the level as, to me, it sounds liked you've pee'd yourself! I think that's pretty suitable humour for ROTT!
Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #52
diakonov
Warm Fear will feature moving walls that are glowing hot. Maybe it will also have some rooms with glowing walls that hurt you when you hit them.

I'm doing the 4th episode, but lavawalls will be better suitable in an equivalent of 5th episode. The 4th episode is a monastery. But the 5th will be the hell itself. So, being the hell, it will have lots of rooms with lavawalls. The first level of 5th episode you will go down to hell, through a ladder of flying GADS. This will be the most interesting feature in this level. It will also feature lavaholes in the 5th episode.

In the 7th level of 4th episode, you will battle with Oscuro in its human form. But in the 5th episode you will seek him in a level equivalent of area 7, according to my plans (such as Canyon Chase).

Maybe there will be an equivalent of 6th episode, and in its end you will fight oscuro snake. The sixth episode will be... I still don't know... maybe a continuation of hell. Or maybe I will end in 5th episode at all. After all, what else could be done after hell itself, using ROTT graphics?

There's also a level with fun name: Dangerous Danger (it's very dangerous indeed, full of tricks, big and boring). One of the most difficult levels. It could be in the 5th episode, but it lacks lavawalls (although its a dark level). And it also don't have monks (that will only have in 4th and 5th episodes).

Until now, here's the levels I made so far for 4th episode:

E4A1: Monastery
E4A2: Toxic Waste
E4A3: Powerup Traps
E4A4: Fence World
E4A5: Warm fear (the level I'm doing now)

The next level... maybe it will be the level made by MagusElOscuro. Or Maybe it will be the 7th level... but with Oscuro in its human form and a bigger room in the upper part of the map, so I can fight with him.

Yes, the level of MagusElOscuro will be the 7th. The sixth level I still don't know, but I'm planning to make it a bit claustrophibic, dark and featuring monastery walls. Maybe it will be a huge monastery chamber. Or it will be the secret 8th level? I still have to plan better.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #53
diakonov
I finished Warm Fear. It's a huge monastery with some large areas. Maybe it's the best level for you to use Excalibat. It only has Excalibat and Darkstuff, the magic weapons. There's an area in which you turn on a switch and enemies appear falling from the sky.

You'll need an Excalibat to exit this area. And you'll have to use it's full power, the balls that explode in contact. Because I made this level to use the baseball. It has some rooms with lavawalls mixed with other textures.

This level only has monks (of both types). Well, it's a monastery, right?

The next level, Frightening Chambers, is, on the other hand, a claustrophobic level with low ceiling (like wolf3d) and somewhat dark. There's an area that has in total 8 small labyrinths. Carefull for the robots and enforcers! This level is somewhat similar to Crushing Defeat (at least in the first room).

It has all kinds of enemies, excluding bosses and turrets.

I'm next to finish this level. Only some more inspiration. Ah, this level has the P of DIP to get the 100.000 bonus.

The next level... the El Oscuro boss (human form). I still don't know how I'll do the secret level.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #54
diakonov
I finished making Frightening Chambers and it took about 30 min to finish it. It's like a mixture of Into the Castle, Crushing Defeat and Dark Tunnels in one one level. This level is good for people that like labyrinths and claustrophobic rooms full of enemies or traps.

I forgot to say that I took to finish Warm Fear at about 17 min.

Next level... well... I still don't know the name I will give to it... Maybe I'll call it Deus Tuum Sum, as MaguslElOscuro suggested. I still don't know clearly. This time I'll have to make some chances in tha map he has made, so it will be according to my plans to this pack.

It won't be a labyrinth, because tha last map had it. And too many labyrinths make the game boring. This map will have larger rooms with more enemies. But I'll base myself in the homemade map in the other topic.

I already made another map with secret exit, so this won't have secret exits.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #55
diakonov
Surprise! I finished Deus Tuss Sum! I finished the boss level! I took only about 8 minutes to play it, despite the huge areas and many enemies. It's because I made the level for you to use the Excalibat (because the rooms are huge), such as Warm Fear. In the boss room, there are 3 oscuros (the other 2 are if they were clones of the original). You have to avoid the 3 oscuros! Also the room is filled with monks of both types. And there are many of them.

The next levels will be as it they were the fifth episode, where you find itself in hell. Later, after making all these levels, I'll do a level similar to Canyon Chase and The Dark Nest, but both will be somewhat different from the original.

Maybe I'll make warp only levels. To finish the 4th episode, it only lasts the secret level, which I still don't have ideas how i'll make it.

But as you see, the progress is in charge.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #56
Per_Scan

You'r working like crazy on this thing. I hope you don't burn yourself out!
Old 11-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #57
diakonov
I'm making now the secret level, called Triad City. As the name suggests, it's a large level with some large rooms that have windows as textures, to make it appear you are inside a city. I will make some parts to look like Rocky Plateau.

This level will really have some very large rooms, excelent for the use of Excalibat. I don't know if I'll make the next level (similar to Canyon Chase) now or only after doing the next episode (Hell).

If the next level will be the 5th episode or later. I still have to think.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #58
diakonov
I've finished Triad City. I don't know now if I'll make the next level or continue to do the 1st level of "5th" episode. Maybe I'll continue with that map, finish the "5th" episode and then do the last two levels.

Or maybe I'll do the next level (because you could seek Oscuro and then, in the next level (5th episode) you find yourself in hell (this would be good indeed). The level similar to The Dark Nest, in this case, would be done much later.

Because there's nothing more than hell to go, maybe the 5th episode will be bigger than the other 4 episodes (more than 8 levels). The levels of 5th episode will have a hellish aspect and you will have to be careful about touching walls.

The first level of 5th episode will be The Dark Entrace. The next level will be Welcome to Hell!!! Some levels will be in hellish caves. And this will be the first and only episode to have lava in the floor.

In some levels, you will have to find abestos armor in order to pass some rooms filled with lava (an idea similar to some levels in which you have to use bulletproof armor in order to pass through a room filled with turrets).
Old 11-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #59
diakonov
I finished Into the Snake (similar to Canyon Chase) and The Dark Entrace.

Into the Snake is not in a episode, but is between episode 4 and 5 in reality (even though the game says it's episode 4). You seek the snake and then, in the next level, you find yourself going down to hell though a long ladder of flying GADS.

The next level will be Welcome to Hell!!!

It will be a level full of glowing lava walls in almost the entire map. Later, I'll do Hellish Caves (as the name says, it's a cave in hell with lava walls)... Yeah, this episode will be fun, hehehe!

Map slot 33 is still empty, because it'll be the last level, and I'll only do it only after made the entire "fifth" episode. Later, maybe I'll do a pack of warp only levels (maybe they'll have a sequence!)

Or better, maybe I'll do a secret level of the "fifth" episode and then a secret exit in the secret level, that will lead you to a pack of extra secret crazy levels in sequence... this may be good... or boring?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #60
diakonov
I finished Welcome to Hell. Watch out for the lava walls! Maybe this will be one of the most interesting levels. Lots of enemies and traps... many firetraps! The next level will be in a cave, with lot's of fires.

It will be in this next level that you will have to find armor to pass through some rooms filled with lava on the floor. This level will be interesting indeed... and a very dark one!

The levels of "fifth" episode will be: (maybe I'll change some level names later)

E4A11 The Dark Entrance
E4A12 Welcome to Hell!!!
E4A13 Hellish Cave
E4A14 Insane Nightmare
E4A15 Fear and Die!
E4A16 Run & Fight
E4A17 Pandemonium
E4A18 Glitch Massacre

And maybe some more...

I'm thinking to do a way into extra levels inside the secret level (Glitch Massacre). These extra levels will be a break from the hell theme of the last episode. In reality, these extra levels aren't the "fifth" episode, but more like a "sixth" episode inside the "fifth".

This "sixth" episode will be levels of sorted theme (they may not have a sequence feeling like the levels of fourth and "fifth" episodes). And also maybe I'll do some warping only levels, extra levels. These levels will have sequence also, but completely different each other.

That Glitch Massacre level will be a different hell. Not a level full of lava walls or dark, but with strange things, like floating objects, many enemies falling from the sky, and some unusual features. This will be hell, because glitch on games are the hell of those who enjoy games! This level will be intended to be very confusing, abstract, maybe the most strange level. So strange that will leads you to an entire secret episode.

Run & Fight will have Oscuro Snake again for you to follow it. But I don't know if I'll be able to do this, due to the game code.

Pandemonium will be a level with LOTS of enemies. There will be a boss and it will be Oscuro in human form again, for the last time. But I don't know if I'll be able to put a boss in that level, maybe not. Even if I can't put a boss in that level, it will be very hellish. Pandemonium will leads you to the last level, in which you will finally be able to kill Oscuro and kill it's larvae.
Last edited by diakonov; 11-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #61
GrimWoman

So when do you think you'll be done with this?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:24 PM   #62
diakonov
Well, I did some levels in a week in total. I've stopped developing this pack of levels for some months due to personal problems. If it was not for that, I would have finished before.

I'm starting to make a new level, Hellish Cave. It take some time to do levels because they tend to be big, lots of details and have to be tested in order to be playable. Some levels are somewhat more simples, but some have much detail.

Well, if you want a good game, you have to take more time to finish your project, right? I don't want to do tiny and simple levels. My levels were made to play at least 10 minutes per level. So you will take much time to finish ROTT, much more than Darkwar or Extreme.

And also I will have to revise some previous levels to make them better in some details. There's a level that I only put one texture wall for most of it! No, I want better looking maps.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

But maybe the extra and warp-only levels will be smaller and faster to finish them. They will only be experiments for fun.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #63
diakonov
I didn't do what I promised for the Hellish Cave, a room full of lava in which you have to find an armor in order to pass through it. But I'm sure that I'll make it for another level, maybe the next. I finished Hellish Caves.

But in compensation there's a room that you have to press switches in order to make a wall to move, but this will also kill the enemies in the trap I did. It's the most fun room, I think. Seeing enemies being killed by sparks!!!

I called it Hellish Caves because all rooms have glowing hot walls mixed with cave wall textures and the level has ceiling and it's very dark, looking like a cave, somewhat.

The next level will be Insane Nightmare. This level will be as difficult as Dangerous Danger, it will be in the same style, but maybe harder, due to the lava walls and lava pits. This level will be a mixture of Welcome to Hell with Dangerous Danger, a level of the second episode.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #64
GrimWoman

Can you possibly post some pictures of what you got so far?
Old 11-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #65
diakonov
If I have time, I'll do that. But this time, I'll only give links to see the images, no more huge pictures in posts!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #66
Per_Scan

Yeah, I 'd love to see some shots too. Your project sounds pretty epic.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #67
diakonov
I had to stop a bit due to college works. So I'll take some time to return to the project. Maybe tomorrow I can continue a bit, but It'll be now slower, but still in progress, don't forget about it. In fact, I'm doing this pack for more than a year (since may from the last year). Duke Nukem Forever took 12 years, but my project won't take so far, if I can finish it!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:24 AM   #68
diakonov
I finished another level, called Insane Nightmare. And it's really a nightmare, because it's so f*****g hard! The entire level is almost entirely made of lavawalls as well as Welcome to Hell!!!.

But it's full of traps involving fire and moving walls. There are also some invisible traps in labyrinths, and be careful to not touch the walls! There's a room in which you find NME for your surprise.

There's another room in which you find NME, as the last trap of the level. You have to escape quickly, find an arbestos armor in order to pass through the final room that is full of lavapits. The NME room is full of corpses to increase the sense of fear.

This NME is like a guardian that protects the next level.

I have to say that this last episode is the first in which you will find corpses.

The next level is Fun Torturation. It's like the second level of first episode, but this time in hell and this time fighting against monks with guards and robots. In this level you press a switch and see enemies being killed with sparks. This will be a compensation for the difficulty of previous level.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #69
diakonov
Two more levels finished... Fun Torturation and Lotta Lava.

I've described Fun Torturation, but Lotta Lava is not the recriation of the combatt level, but a completely new one, and huge. I took about 32 minutes to finish it in medium difficulty. Imagine in crazy man!

Well, similar to Welcome To Hell!!! and Insane Nightmare, the level is mostly detailed in lavawalls. In this level, there's a corridor in which you must have to use the abestos armor in order to pass through lavapits!

There are many enemies, specially many enforcers in a huge room, so you will have to use firebomb in the right way to survive the attack. I think it's the level I most took to finish it, being one of the biggest levels.

The next level will be more simple and smaller. It will be called Pandemonium, in which some rooms will be full of enemies. You will start the level in the upper floor and see a room filled with enemies in the bottom floor.

In this level you will have to avoid enemies than fighting against them, due to the lack of weapons. It will have some, but only for strategy and in order to finish the level (in fact most of the levels I did follow the same way). The next level after this will be the last of the game.

Pandemonium will be like a seventh level of the hipothetic fifth episode. Depending if the game will crash or not, maybe I'll put a boss. Or maybe put some bosses like Insane Nightmare, in which you will find NME clones in 2 rooms. But it's not to fight against it, but instead for you to run away! If you win the boss, the game will simply crash.

In this level I'll put excalibats (because of the so many enemies and huge rooms). Sometimes you can even walk on enemies, smashing them while you run (with this you can save excalibat ammo), but this will only work for monks, because regular guards and enforces will shoot you, so you will keep yourself far from them while you shoot them.
Last edited by diakonov; 12-03-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #70
diakonov
Pandemonium finished. Guys, this level is FUN! It's based in many huge areas with lots of enemies! It not only have excalibat, but also firebombs in some rooms. There's a room in which you have to choose one of the 2 elevators. In one elevator, well, you will DIE, because it will lead you to a room with 8 NME.

The other elevator will lead you to the last room... the biggest one, with lots of enforcers, fire monks and... 2 NME. And in this room you won't get any explosive. You will only have to run away from enemies and NME.

In the best chance, you will have to push a switch in the middle of this room, that will move some walls and then, the exit, that will lead you to the last level, where you will finally fight against the snake boss.

Think of this this level as an area with many guardians that protect the boss snake against you. That snake boss is very well protected, so be careful.

If you play the entire pack in crazy man difficulty, you can beat the levels, but you will have many problems with it.

I still don't know the name of the last level, and also I'll have to make the secret level, and also some extra levels, including some warp-only levels.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #71
Per_Scan

So, how many levels have you now made? Have you thought any more about putting up some screenshots?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #72
diakonov
I wanted to do this now, but I still have to study. I had time to finish a level, but not to focus on making screenshots. because this will take a longer time.

Until now, I made in total 40 levels. It would be 41 if I made the last level of the game, that I'll do this time. But there will be more, a secret level of the "fifth" episode and a secret episode.

I'm planning to make these extra levels smaller and more simple, and with features not explored in the other levels I made so far, just for fun.

The secret level, Glitch Massacre, will have a feature of flying furnitures and will have many rooms with empty walls, like Secret Floating Base.

One thing that lack in all levels I made is a feature unique to this game, that are masked walls in which enemies shoot at you without been seen. I'm planning to do this in some of the extra levels. I'm planning to do a level full of these masked walls. A level similar to Too Tall (of shareware episode) would be also good.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #73
diakonov
One more thing about Pandemonium. I've beaten this level with Taradino Cassat in crazy man difficulty and with Lorelei Ni in hard difficulty (with her I took 27:45 minutes).

This level has 10 regular huge rooms (1 of them full of ballistkrafts) two smaller rooms with regular enemies (one with enforcers and one with high guards). And 2 more. One with 8 NME's and the last room with enforcers, fire monks and 2 NME's as I've talked before.

You will at least take 25 minutes to beat this level. Only if you run away of enemies that you could beat in a smaller time, but it's best to kill the enemies with the excalibats and firebombs available through rooms.

The next level will be the last level, and then the secret level, that will lead you to a secret episode, that will have special features, and some of the already available features in my levels done so far.

I'm thinking to do a level called Dead in One Second (you will start the level with a ballistkraft in your face!).
Old 12-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #74
diakonov
Ended another level, tha last: Demonic Oscuro.

This level, is not completely finished, maybe I'll add some things... or not. But at least most part of it is already done. It's a huge square room with lavawalls, blue oscuro wall, red sky, lightning rays, gads, 4 elevators, lavapits, oscuro, fire monks, oscuro larvae, excalibat, darkstaff and big crystals that heal.

The larvae are floating in the sky next to high gads. Other gads have around them excalibats and darkstaffs. I put fire monks to make this level more enjoyable, while you run away from the human oscuro...

Yes, oscuro turned human again. But there's no exit in this level, and after transformed into the snake, you will have to kill it, using darkstaffs ou excalibats. It was a great idea to include this transformation of the boss. You are next to him when he turns into a snake and... surprise!!!

There's a snake right in front of you, without any trace of suspection!

Is that a great idea?

Next level, Glitch Massacre. This level WILL be crazy...
Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #75
Per_Scan

This is certainly going to be a massive map set! Over 40 level? That's huge.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #76
Per_Scan

How are you getting on Daikonov? We haven't heard from you in a little while. Do you think your levels will be ready this year? It would be good to have another nominee for The Rancid awards...
Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 PM   #77
Lawstiker
I to would be interested in knowing how this has been going.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #78
diakonov
I'm still making Glitch Massacre. I'll have to finish this map. And later make some more, and it's finished! I even finished the last level of the pack! It's because this level will require more creativity, that's why I'm still figuring how to finish making it.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #79
Per_Scan

Good to know that it's nearly finished. Do you have a release date in mind? It would be good to have another candidate for ROTT Mapper of the Year at the Annual ROTT Awards (over at the other forum!).

So far, the only candidates are Hammer Oz and Mike Miller. They're the only 2 people that I know of that have released something this year!

PS: Any screen shots yet. :P
Old 12-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #80
Lawstiker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per_Scan View Post

PS: Any screen shots yet. :P
I think the actual episode will be his "screenshot"