3D Realms Anthology

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > 3D Realms Anthology
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-03-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
Xantheous

Question Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy part 4 doesn't work
I was just testing out the games in the anthology and noticed that when I play Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy, the game loads up and you can press 1 for "Part 4 - Secret of the Oracle" or 2 for "Part 5 - The Armageddon Machine" or 3 for "Exit".

I can press 2 for Part 5, and it loads up okay, but when I press 1 for Part 4, it shows the screen indicating what sound devices are detected, how much memory, etc. but it just says "Loading... Please Wait" at the bottom of the screen and the game doesn't load. I have to alt-tab out and close the window.

I'm using v1.1 of the Anthology. Not sure if this problem existed in v1.0 or not.

Anyone else having this problem?
Last edited by Xantheous; 12-03-2014 at 02:33 AM. Reason: More info
Old 12-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #2
Rapture_Rising

Re: Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy part 4 doesn't work
Yeah, i am getting the same problem, i tried editing some stuff in the .conf file in the Commander Keen folder but nothing i try seems to work.

If you want to play Secret of the Oracle episode you can revert it back to to the v1.1 by deleting the E in KEEN4E.EXE in the .conf file.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
Litude

Works fine here, you could try deleting CONFIG.CK4 from your game folder.
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Rapture_Rising

I found the issue, it's the EGAGRAPH.CK4 file that is dodgy, i replaced mine with the steam version of Commander Keen and it loads fine, i even tested with a shareware version and it still worked.

I am not sure if i can post the shareware file here as an attachment, you can just google for the 1.4 shareware version. If Joe or Damien says it's alright to upload i will.

It looks like when the new mob redesigned the 3D Realms website, they nuked the downloads section which hosted the 1.4 shareware version, it might still be there if it is, it's sure buried.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #5
Litude

I would guess that the 3D Realms Anthology 1.1 patch is dodgy, since I've used the full installer of v1.1 and Goodbye Galaxy works fine. It also seems to cause problems with Monster Bash.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #6
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Did you use the patch? I ran into that too, after it came out, and that will get corrected in the next update.

Unfortunately due to the fact that Windows stores game created data in a directory OTHER than the directory the game is in (if you install in Program Files on Win 7 and upwards), you have to go to a sepearate directory to mess with the save game and config files. They're located here (on my machine (which is Win 8.1), your exact directory will vary a little).

C:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\3DRealms‏

You can also try deleting Config.ck4 from the directory too:

c:\Users\Joe\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\3DRealms\Anthology\Commander Keen - Galaxy\

--------

If you want to go fresh, you can uninstall the Anthology and download the full v1.1 from the website. But you will need to manually remove all the files in this VirtualStore directory too. Otherwise a reinstall will pick up all the save games and whatnot from the 3DRealms directory mentioned above.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 12-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #7
Xantheous

Thanks everyone for your replies. Joe, yes I used the patch from v1.0 to v1.1 of the Anthology. I just uninstalled the Anthology completely and re-installed the v1.1 installer and Commander Keen part 4 works fine now.