Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #41
dark_angel

Re: Earth No More - New 3DR IP
That's awesome news!

The game seems very interesting indeed. Best Luck 3DR!

www.Duke4.net - The ultimate source for 3DRealms next-gen game - DNF

" Life rewards no death for immortals " - dark_angel
Old 06-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #42
Nacho

This does sound very interesting. My one complaint about games with the exception of high quality RPGs is I never feel the characters are real. The comment on them having backstories, motives and agendas really makes me happy.

You can make a game and then you can make a good game. I see 3DR as the later. They always put such quality in everything they do even when they don't develop it in house.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #43
ShadeEX

Nice a new game from 3DR to look forward to..

The description definatly sounds interesting..
Quote: "In an infinite universe where reality is interpreted through our continuously fluxuating perception, providing absolute definitive proof of anything becomes a little more than speculation based on random data."

My Youtube Page-My Website(Not updated yet)-My Other Blog
Old 06-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #44
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/47471

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-18-2007, 02:15 PM   #45
vcatkiller

Sounds interesting. I especially like the news of co-op. Go Recoil!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #46
dan2091

Earth No More - New 3DR IP
Snap! I can't believe there's a new game coming out... I hope they have already being working on it so we don't have to wait that longer, but maybe that's what 3DRealms sells so much (because they make their fans wait pretty much?)

But really I hope they won't make us wait a lot... For example Alan Wake, it was supposed to be done by the end of 2007 and now they announce it to the end of 2008...

Well, back to Topic, I hope that if they said 2009 it will be it.. I mean, the can get Duke Nukem Forever for 2008, Earth no More for 2009 with Prey 2. If they want DNF to be game of the year, the less the games are published on the same year the more the chance their get to make it a best seller of the year... I really hope they not only do new IP but also they should use another IP like BioMenace and some others.

Then again, Earth No More for 2009, I hope they really mean it. I can't wait for the unveil of the next 3-7 projects. Best wishes to 3DR.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:26 PM   #47
alexgk

Tell me if I'm getting this right: 3DR and newly-formed Recoil will co-develope ENM. Right?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #48
Dead Meat
Wrong. Only Recoil will develop the game.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:32 PM   #49
KaiserSoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Meat View Post
Correct. 3dr will produce the game as they did with Prey.

They're too busy putting the finishing touches on DNF to develop anything else at the moment.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #50
psyborg

Sounds cool, looking forward to some screenshots.

I got my violence in hi-def ultra-realism
Old 06-18-2007, 02:39 PM   #51
Water12356

Sweet!

"Men trade whatever they have for sex and women trade sex for whatever they want. That may be unromantic but theres truth to it."
- Nessus
Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #52
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Meat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Correct. 3dr will produce the game as they did with Prey.

They're too busy putting the finishing touches on DNF to develop anything else at the moment.
Ok, thanks . And about DNF, I hope they're doing that right now .
Old 06-18-2007, 02:57 PM   #53
Needle

A co-op game? Color me intrigued. We really need more of those.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:09 PM   #54
CommanderZx2

Oh No Re: Earth No More - New 3DR IP
The co-op better be in the PC version, otherwise no purchase, ever.

I don't know which idiot came up with the idea to remove co-op modes from PC games, but it really pisses me off.

No PC doom 3 co-op, no PC halo co-op (halo sucks yes but still..) and for many other games that come to the PC that I can't remember at the moment. They give the freaking console a co-op mode, but none to the PC.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:36 PM   #55
JobivanHiob

cool, now Earth No More has it's place in the 3DR game section . Subtitle is called DISASTER DONE RIGHT (DDR) haha http://www.3drealms.com/games.html
Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #56
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobi-Wan Kenobi View Post
cool, now Earth No More has it's place in the 3DR game section . Subtitle is called DISASTER DONE RIGHT (DDR) haha http://www.3drealms.com/games.html
LoL Coming 2009, and right above DNF Coming "When It's Done".
Old 06-18-2007, 03:49 PM   #57
Micki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle View Post
A co-op game? Color me intrigued. We really need more of those.
Co-op..? I'm sold already..!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:57 PM   #58
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgk View Post
LoL Coming 2009, and right above DNF Coming "When It's Done".
It's below DNF. I made the page.

"Disaster Done Right" is something that is in the article in the magazine.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #59
alexgk

Quote:
LoL Coming 2009 and right above ENM, DNF Coming "When It's Done".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
It's below DNF. I made the page.
Fixed . That's what I meant.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:09 PM   #60
Jokke_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Nice, a new 3DR game.

This is the news I needed today, now I'm happy.
It annoys me how 3DR is getting all the attention with this. Every news site says 3DR's new game . I mean It's Recoil who is developing it and i'm sure they are the ones who did most of the major brainstorming while coming up with the concept BEFORE even contacting 3DR for support, same thing happened with Max Payne. Sure financing is a big part of the project and 3DR does quality control and has some say in whats in and whats out but i'd not go as far and call it 3DR's new game. It's not like when iD Software gets raven to do Q4 for them whereas the Quake/strogg universe was actually created by iD, in this case it's more like new game company starts making a game and they approach 3DR for help. Then again Prey was the other way around where the IP was developed by 3DR's originally.

Just my 2 cents, credit where it's due.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #61
Micki!

3DR may catch the needed attention (they're good at it afterall), while credit goes to Recoild, once it's out...
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #62
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokke_r View Post
It annoys me how 3DR is getting all the attention with this. Every news site says 3DR's new game . I mean It's Recoil who is developing it and i'm sure they are the ones who did most of the major brainstorming while coming up with the concept BEFORE even contacting 3DR for support, same thing happened with Max Payne.
In Max Payne 2's case, Rockstar took all the credit.
I've never thought 3DR made all the effort with Max Payne 1.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #63
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

UE3 huh? Nice, this game should look amazing. Can't wait to find out more details about gameplay and such.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #64
alexgk

Hehehe, 360, nice
Old 06-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #65
Kristian Joensen

We know nothing about this case. We don't know if it is more like Prey or more like Max Payne.

Here are two quotes from one of the recent interviews with Scott about his role with 3rd parties:

Quote:
Publisher/producer? What roles behind a game do these take? For example, how much input does one have in the actual design of a title?

Scott: When we act as a producer, we often contribute significant funding to a project, which allows it to reach a point where it is much easier to pitch to publishers. We also provide design guidance, marketing guidance (for example, I was a prime mover on all marketing for Duke Nukem 3D, Max Payne, and Prey, leading the design of the retail boxes, game ads, picking the screen shots, writing all of the marketing text, etc.), and at the end, we are deeply involved with play-testing and polishing. It’s quite a lot of work, but then, it’s also really fun.

A calm moment in Prey...

Prey was well received by press and gamers alike, so just how much input did 3D Realms have in its development?

Scott: All of the above! Big money. The overall concept came from me, and was then co-shaped by Human Head and me together. I brought in all three of the external writers and worked closely with them, and Human Head, to lay-out the story and characters. Human Head and I worked on all of the key gameplay ideas, some coming from me (death walk, spirit walk, Talon) and some from Human Head (gravity and wall walking). And many from 3DR were involved with the game’s play-testing. It really is a big collaboration.
Also this is from a blog post about Max Payne:

Quote:
Just to be clear that I do not hijack improper credit, Max Payne was developed (all content and code) by Remedy Entertainment (they did all the hard work!), and produced by 3D Realms (meaning we funded a significant portion of the game, handled the publishing agreements, helped guide the game's design, helped play-tested and polished the game, handled the shareware release, and oversaw and co-designed the game's marketing).
A concrete example of the nature of the design input in the case of Max Payne can be seen in the email quoted in this blog post.

I think it is really unfortunate when anyone gets to little credit, often it is the case that magazines/the press aswell as fans focus on one party at the expense of another, but that cuts both ways often you here accusations of id and 3DR just slapping their names/logos on the game boxes of their 3rd party games, I find that really unfair considering all the hard work they put into them.

Personally given the info we have on Prey and Max Payne I believe it to be fair to call them 3D Realms games. However that doesn't excuse anyone from taking the focus of the excellent work that Remedy and Human Head did. Credit where credit is due, I couldn't agree more with that notion. Hence both 3D Realms AND Remedy should get credit for Max Payne(the same goes with Prey/Human Head) just as BOTH id Software AND Raven should get credit for Quake 4(the same goes for ET:QW/Splash Damage).

There is not need to ignore either party and ust focus on the one.
Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 06-18-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Added some stuff
Old 06-18-2007, 04:23 PM   #66
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

This kind of thing is not new. We'd been getting credit as the authors of Wolfenstein 3D for 15 years now. Things never change.

But we don't take credit where we didn't do the work in this regard. We've always been honest (that I can recall) about these issues. Never hid behind a game claiming we did it when we didn't.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 PM   #67
Talos

Go 3DR!
Can't wait for ANY news on this one!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #68
cladinshadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
Nice, a new 3DR game.

This is the news I needed today, now I'm happy.
Ditto. I came on the site hoping for something like this today - it's weird to actually get it lol.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:05 PM   #69
alexgk

Is 3DR hosting ENM Official forums as with Max Payne?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #70
Hudson

Sounds great, looking forward to new info
[INSERT SYSTEM SPECS THAT NO ONE CARES ABOUT HERE]
Old 06-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #71
Simon Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoX View Post
Now we're going to know FOR REAL what a team based game is about , yeah!
Left 4 Dead will beat them to the punch but a new IP from 3DR and partners is always good news.

Raising my glass (well, beer can) to Recoil and 3DR. I wish all of them good health and creative spirits for the duration of the project. May you guys produce a great fun game you'll all be proud of.

-Hercule Poirot
Last edited by Simon Charles; 06-18-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #72
alexgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Charles View Post
Raising my glass (well, beer can) to Retro and 3DR.
Retro?, isn't it Recoil Games?
Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #73
Simon Charles

Quote:
Retro?, isn't it Recoil Games?
Fixed.

Quote:
accusations of id and 3DR just slapping their names/logos on the game boxes of their 3rd party games, I find that really unfair considering all the hard work they put into them.
Part of the confusion may be due to the fact that 3DR has a business model that few gaming houses use (at this time, anyway). The usual model these days is this : publisher gives you money, you make your game, publisher packages and markets your game, end of story.

3D Realms (and for example, Valve with Turtle Rock's Left 4 Dead) have started walking that fine line between a pure publisher and co-designer. Like a publisher, they invest part of their own money to pay for the game's developement but also like a fellow developer/creative partner, they offer guidance, advice, ideas, etc. For lack of a better word, I'd call that part of 3DR's activities as "friendly publishing".

As the industry is moving and changing, so too will the current business models. 3DR seems to be one of the few with enough financial resources AND good creative input to venture into this new model.

Working in the game industry for many years now, I can say from experience (and a bit of envy, I'll admit) that people like this make the greatest business partners ever. Enough money to back the devs up but also enough love for games to never release a turd for a quick buck. If people like 3DR existed here in Montreal, I'd be the first one banging on their door, demanding an interview with Scott and telling him "Look punk, this is why you need me".

Well, I probably wouldn't use the word punk.

-Hercule Poirot
Last edited by Simon Charles; 06-18-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #74
Kristian Joensen

Actually 3DR's new Creative Director Raphael Van Lierop whom Scott hired to help with 3rd party games is working remotely from his home office in Vancouver.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #75
Steve

Quote:
Working in the game industry for many years now, I can say from experience (and a bit of envy, I'll admit) that people like this make the greatest business partners ever. Enough money to back the devs up but also enough love for games to never release a turd for a quick buck. If people like 3DR existed here in Montreal, I'd be the first one banging on their door, demanding an interview with Scott and telling him "Look punk, this is why you need me".
You're in the gaming industry? That I didn't know.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:36 PM   #76
Kev_Hectic

Cool, a new game from ex-Remedy guys.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 PM   #77
Morry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_Hectic View Post
Cool, a new game from ex-Remedy guys.
Only two of them, the rest of the team comes from all over the place. Recoil has updated their site with a few developer profiles too.

I'm really excited about this new game. I knew when Recoil was founded, that we would be treated to another developer with the same talent and creative vision as Remedy. Not only is the premise of the game a great opportunity for a game, but they are also taking steps forward in cinematic gaming, an area that needs more support in the gaming industry.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:17 PM   #78
Kristian Joensen

I count four ex-Remedy guys amongst those in those profile pages.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #79
Dukefrukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Can't wait to see the screenshots!

Sounds pretty unique as well.
we'll probably get the first ones at the end of 08.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:22 PM   #80
vcatkiller

Couldn't imagine screenies any time soon, at any rate. They've only just announced the game. Although I guess we'll get all the tasty media from the GI article in several month's time. (have I mentioned I hate magazine exclusives?)