Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem Forever
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #41
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Re: All your history are belong to us, the rise and fall of apogee/3Drealms
If George doesn't want to talk to the game sites about DNF's history, why would he want to talk to someone making a film about it?
Until DNF it either finished/released or laid to rest... I seriously doubt we will get any solid/true information out of the team about what really happened.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #42
PredatorFL

Those videos make me a sad panda
Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #43
HertogJan

Sad story maybe, but I still have much respect for the way Apogee / 3DRealms worked. Digital distribution ftw!
Can't wait for part 4!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 AM   #44
Loke

^
Part 4 is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQjm0Z7UNgg
- The Stinger
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #45
zwieback

hmm while i enjoyed watching the for parts, i think A LOT of things in part4 just aren't true.

For example, was the payment of devs really that bad (who said that? source?) + they released more games (duke3d iphone,duke3d ipad,prey mobile,duke nukem mp for xbox, maybe more?)

Also, this part will look very bad once DNF comes out.. (if..)
Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 PM   #46
TJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwieback View Post
For example, was the payment of devs really that bad (who said that? source?)
I doubt the pay was horrendous, but salary disparity between Apogee and other companies was hearsay for years. Recently, Paul Schuytema (project leader of Prey after the original team's departure) confirmed the arrangement in an interview with Wired - basically, they paid much less than other studios but promised significant profit sharing.

During the early years, production cycles were expected to be short, and many (if not most) of their hires had no industry experience, so the model probably made sense at the time.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #47
Kristian Joensen

Well if you are going to look at hearsay, people were also talking about 3DR having to bump salaries considerably as a result of the mass departure of '06.
Last edited by Kristian Joensen; 08-20-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #48
vincentdante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke View Post
It was a pretty interesting watch tbh. If the thing about underpayment but huge royalties is true, then I feel kind of bad for the people who worked on it before their departure.

Tell me who you are from this forums if you add me to either.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #49
Conan of Cooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentdante View Post
It was a pretty interesting watch tbh. If the thing about underpayment but huge royalties is true, then I feel kind of bad for the people who worked on it before their departure.
Especially those *forced* to depart by GB and SM.

If DNF was ever released, and I was one of the fired devs, I would be visiting Captain Lawsuit and The Sue-Sue Bunch.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #50
pjVgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan of Cooma View Post
Especially those *forced* to depart by GB and SM.

If DNF was ever released, and I was one of the fired devs, I would be visiting Captain Lawsuit and The Sue-Sue Bunch.
Why? I dont know about working laws in the US - but in Europe worker is the owners property (of course not in direct sense because it would be slavery). He pays You - he commands You, when he wants to fire You he will not ask for Your comment.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #51
Untamed

I recently watched the Rise & Fall of Apogee/3DR and I can honestly say, I felt quite emotional near the end.. gave me a good idea though..

Sometime when I'm older, I'll probably donate to 3D Realms somehow and if not, I'll surely encourage others to do so. Donations for Duke it would be called.

Anything to revive 3DR, Bring the developers back together (possibly even with the combined efforts of iD Software, Epic Games, Tom Hall & The Developers of Incredible Power) & go Beyond releasing Duke Nukem Forever. (yes, I really did say "Going beyond releasing DNF", by that I meant making Commander Keen 7: The Universe is Toast)
Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #52
peoplessi

A good idea? Donating to a privately held company? You sound absurd.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #53
pjVgt

When You have a private company there is very little (almost no) difference between Your money and companys money. George is a relatively rich man - he decided he cant just drown more money which inevitably would be the result with his poor managing skill on big projects like DNF. He decided to play poker and get a life - You cant blame him for that.

Instead of donating better buy games from their website - maybe the creators will get some not only 3DR. Check Monster Bash - its pretty cool.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #54
Untamed

Well.. it was pointed out in the series that 3d Realms had been having money issues which ultimately led to their downfall.. besides, they need all the help they can get
Old 08-24-2010, 02:35 AM   #55
pjVgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untamed View Post
Well.. it was pointed out in the series that 3d Realms had been having money issues which ultimately led to their downfall.. besides, they need all the help they can get
George is a relatively rich man - he decided he cant just drown more money which inevitably would be the result with his poor managing skill on big projects like DNF. He decided to play poker and get a life - You cant blame him for that.

Read again please.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 AM   #56
str4fe114

I have no doubt DNF will be really big game, since i dont give a shit about the graphics.
Whatever happens, EVEN if DNF will become a bad game, i will still buy it.
3DREALMS DESERVE IT. every goddamn penny. so much money and time spent on DNF.

They are still working on it, as they have said or even hinted, and i believe they will never EVER quit making it.

When he will announce DNF, much tears of happiness will be shed. Its gonna be a touching moment.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #57
pjVgt

I dont think 3D Realms really deserve it - I will buy it for Duke. For his political uncorrectness and pure bad assery.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #58
prophecy holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjVgt View Post
Why? I dont know about working laws in the US - but in Europe worker is the owners property (of course not in direct sense because it would be slavery). He pays You - he commands You, when he wants to fire You he will not ask for Your comment.
It's called equal employment (I might be wrong on the name). If a company isn't giving an employee pay or work hours when they need it said employee can call certain Goverment facilities to get on thier asses and harrass them and possibly fire the manager. If you try and fire a person you HAVE to give a strong reason why such as stealing, harrassing others etx. Firing because of age, sex, not liking them, race, skin colour, life styles, disabilities etx is against the law (but differs a little from state to state).

A bad managers worst nightmare is an employee who knows his working laws.

This may help some of your questions:

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html
"Ever since I was a little boy, dressing up has always been...my greatest joy. But when It's time to be discreet, there is one thing you just can't beat and that's a strapless backless classical little black dress"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e4BCOrLmJ0
Last edited by prophecy holder; 08-27-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #59
Unbeholder

So to put a spin on George Broussard comment, instead of "Either we are stupid and clueless or we believe in what we are working on"

I would say this is more accurate.
"Either I am stupid and clueless but believe what I'm working on... or I'm a genius".

..and I think I know which one is closer to the truth.