Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #121
Kalki

Re: MGM has "The Hobbit" license..planning major movie(s)!
BUMP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTSoD4BBCJc
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 02-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #122
NutWrench

That's an awesome trailer. I can hardly wait.

There's also a series of "behind the scenes" videos on the making of The Hobbit. Here's part 1. I also noticed in a YouTube clip that one guy plays the character of Azog, so I guessing there will be a flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #123
Nessus

Trailer looks good. I hope they just shoot the book straight for the most part. I always loved that book when I was a kid.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 AM   #124
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
That's an awesome trailer. I can hardly wait.

There's also a series of "behind the scenes" videos on the making of The Hobbit. Here's part 1. I also noticed in a YouTube clip that one guy plays the character of Azog, so I guessing there will be a flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar.
The latest production video was amazing. Watch it all the way to the end.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151028043926807
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 07-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #125
Thief

The Hobbit is to become a trilogy.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle4449726/
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #126
Kit

Would have preferred two tight films instead of three drawn out ones.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #127
Thief

Hey, it's what Hollywood does best - milk and bilk!
I'm sure there will be blu-ray extended editions for each of the now three films.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #128
Kalki

That is sucky. I could see this novel split into 2 parts but 3? I'm with Kit on this. I expect they decided to go all in and expand the necromancer story and its tie-ins to the LOTR trilogy. I would have been more than satisfied with a few Dol Guldur assault scenes briefly alluded to by Gandalf at the end, like the flashback shots in LOTR of Sauron losing the Ring and the sword getting broken. The Dol Guldur battle wasn't described much in the book & while it provides a bit of background to Bilbo's efforts to add context, it shouldn't be drawn out to make a third movie.

Free Speech
Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #129
Kit

It's going to drag in the middle as a trilogy mark my words. Two films for the Hobbit would have been perfect.

What do you guys make of the film being shot at 48fps? read some first impressions of the preview footage and they were quite negative.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #130
FullMetalJacket
Seems like a cash grab to me. The Hobbit was shorter than any of the Lord of the Rings books; I wouldn't think there was enough story for two movies, let alone three.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."