Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
KaiserSoze

Thumbs up MGM has "The Hobbit" license..planning major movie(s)!
This is actually good news for Lord of the Rings/Hobbit fans.

It's MGM that has the rights to the long rumored "Hobbit" movie which New Line was thought to have.

It's probably good news for those of us who'd only want to see a Hobbit movie directed by Peter Jackson.

Jackson had a major falling out with New Line Cinema over money issues with the Lord of the Rings trilogy and many think Jackson will never work with New Line Cinema again(or at least until all the various legalities are sorted out, which could take years)

With the Hobbit movie at MGM, you'd have to think they'd go after Jackson to direct the movie. Jackson has a few current projects such as "The Lovely Bones" and "Dambusters" he's actively developing. That wouldn't keep MGM from potentially giving Jackson a record payday to put those projects on the back burner and step in to direct the Hobbit.

Also, I see no reason MGM wouldn't be able to secure the original cast members from the New Line Trilogy as those actors portrayed the characters that are in the Hobbit.

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16424
Old 09-10-2006, 04:35 PM   #2

Re: MGM has "The Hobbit" license..planning major movie(s)!
What the, they have the license but haven't even contacted Jackson? Without him I don't see this movie going anywhere but the trash can. I'm not that interested in a hobbit movie anyway unless they really do it well.

Jackson also can't stretch this movie to 3 hours, as the events of the hobbit won't make for a good length film. A standard film length with Bilbo doing his thing could be interesting.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
ReadOnly

Quote:
Jackson also can't stretch this movie to 3 hours, as the events of the hobbit won't make for a good length film. A standard film length with Bilbo doing his thing could be interesting.
Huh?

"one or two installments of The Hobbit"
Old 09-10-2006, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnly View Post
Huh?

"one or two installments of The Hobbit"
I know, and personally I don't think that will work. LOTR was nonstop and always had something going on. The hobbit wouldn't work that way.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Opus131

Well, without Jackson they might actually get somebody who understands emotion and isn't a complete studio whore.

Granted, that's never going to happen so what the hell, might as well use Jackson again...
Old 09-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus131 View Post
Well, without Jackson they might actually get somebody who understands emotion
Huh?

The LOTR films were damn emotional.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 09-10-2006, 07:16 PM   #7
Zztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetalJacket View Post
Huh?

"Do you remember the taste of strawberries?"

I enjoyed Return of the King (the only Jackson LOTR film I've seen), but that line made me want to puke.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
PsychoGoatee

This is cool news, I'd say. I love Jackson's LOTR movies, and hopefully they get him back for this one.

More importantly, Ian McKellen must return as Gandalf. No one else could play him as well.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Amakou

The only problem I had with the LOTR movies was they cut out all the good stuff.....

And the Hobbit is as long as any part of the LOTR trilogy, I can see it being 2 1/2 hours easy.

~Amakou~
Old 09-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
DOSGuy

A lot of stuff happens in the Hobbit. They escape one enemy after another, followed by a battle with a dragon and a war with the orcs. LOTR, on the other hand, really focused on one crisis per book. There was a lot of adventure The Fellowship, but The Two Towers is almost entirely the Battle of Helms Deep in Rohan, and Return of the King is almost entirely the battle for Gondor. I can definitely see a production of the Hobbit on the same scale as one of the LOTR movies. I was hoping they would do this, retaining everyone responsible for LOTR. It seemed logical to do the whole series in four movies, starting with the Hobbit in order to set up the Lord of the Rings.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
Paroxysm

Quote:
Well, without Jackson they might actually get somebody who understands emotion and isn't a complete studio whore.
How on earth could you argue jackson as a studio whore? HE apperated almost entirely independant of studio control and complaining about his handling of the "emmotion" of lotr? Jesus christ. If you're going to complain about it being sappy melodrama then he did the books exact justice because that's all they are.

Jackson isn't a great director but those criticisms are just ridiculous.

this is what i think of you ^&%&%^*@#^%*@#%^#@^& - dukeonly
Old 09-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #12
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

This is nothing new, they've had this license since before the three movies finished airing in the theatres. It was said at the time they'd do it after Jackson was done working on some other things he was doing.

As for Opus' "studio whore" and "emotional" remarks.. Those who know him knows he always says stuff like that. Don't let it bother you or post flames, eh?

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 09-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #13
Mountain Man

Duke Nukem Re: MGM has "The Hobbit" license..planning major movie(s)!
Quote:
Huh?

They were more melodramatic than emotional, actually.

Create your own signature! Fill in the blank:
Old 09-10-2006, 11:42 PM   #14
Opus131

Bloody double post!!!!!
Last edited by Opus131; 09-10-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #15
Opus131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
How on earth could you argue jackson as a studio whore? HE apperated almost entirely independant of studio control
By calling him a studio whore i was merely being kind to him. I'm trying to be moderate when i go off against Jackson because i'm still unfamiliar with his previous work as an 'indipendent director', as you say.

When it comes to his big budged films however i must conclude his work is either maimed by producers and executives or else he is simply inept (or both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
and complaining about his handling of the "emmotion" of lotr? Jesus christ. If you're going to complain about it being sappy melodrama then he did the books exact justice because that's all they are.
There might be some truth to that but after watching King Kong i'm not so sure Tolkien's inherent lack in narrative power is entirely at fault here.

Whatever Jackson did to earn your admiration seems to be missing is his late work, at best. Right now he is the very embodyment of all that is wrong with modern cinema, which is style over substance and lot's of pointless eye candy.

IMO, at any rate...
Last edited by Opus131; 09-10-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:26 AM   #16
Higher Game
LotR would be impossible to do in this era, anyway. Making it properly would require lots of knowledge about classical European works, Christian theology, cryptofascist environmentalism, late 19th century spiritualism, old as the hills racial theories that separate Germans from Italians, etc. One would have to be alive in Tolkien's day as well as very well educated to make the film good. Our whole general worldview has changed since his time, so I don't think any amount of research would capture all of the meaning behind LotR, at least for the typical Hollywood director.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:00 AM   #17
Delicieuxz

I'd really like to see a Hobbit movie, but definitely not by Peter Jackson. LotR were extremely drawn out and dull, with way too much hollow drama instead of real character. The constant gray and blue or green tints over the entire screen were terrible additions.

People mistake P.J. as a good director without thinking about it. His movies are big because they are already grand stories that he's using. I think he works are so much less than what could have been done with the projects, it's disappointing to me.

Also, the books didn't come out in my mind as "sappy melodrama" when I read them. That's P.J.'s touch, and a bitter one.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 09-11-2006, 01:10 AM   #18
Delicieuxz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Game View Post
LotR would be impossible to do in this era, anyway. Making it properly would require lots of knowledge about classical European works, Christian theology, cryptofascist environmentalism, late 19th century spiritualism, old as the hills racial theories that separate Germans from Italians, etc. One would have to be alive in Tolkien's day as well as very well educated to make the film good. Our whole general worldview has changed since his time, so I don't think any amount of research would capture all of the meaning behind LotR, at least for the typical Hollywood director.
Um, there are many people around with sound knowledge all mentioned areas. Maybe not 14 year old forum-goers living in downtown urban America, not to suggest anything on you... but I don't see why you'd think the elements are out of grasp, or even not fully present today. "His time" is not that long ago either, he died in the 70's. Europe also doesn't age like the US has. There's quite a lot more culture running in their blood.
In addition to all this I could easily do a far better job myself... but those're just words on a forum, aren't they? To some.
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Last edited by Delicieuxz; 09-11-2006 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:12 AM   #19
Tang Lung

Quote:
When it comes to his big budged films however i must conclude his work is either maimed by producers and executives or else he is simply inept (or both).
90 per cent of big budget stuff is maimed by producers, regardless of who the director is. The other 10 per cent is only if they've been around long enough to be able (allowed) to carry it themselves.

MOON PRINCESS POWER!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #20
Kalki

Ian McKellen has to be back. I didn't think his portrayal of Gandalf was particularly accurate. He's just too ingrained in the role in my mind for it to be anybody else.

As for the rest, I can see a few cameos: Aragorn (at Rivendell) and Legolas could have a huge role in the battle scenes.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 09-11-2006, 03:23 AM   #21
Paroxysm

Quote:
There might be some truth to that but after watching King Kong i'm not so sure Tolkien's inherent lack in narrative power is entirely at fault here.

Whatever Jackson did to earn your admiration seems to be missing is his late work, at best. Right now he is the very embodyment of all that is wrong with modern cinema, which is style over substance and lot's of pointless eye candy.

IMO, at any rate...
Yes king kong is trash and your criticisms are all justified for that film. But then it was also a project made by peter entirely as a fanboy exercise because he could afford to. It wasn't really for anyone else but Peter. He shared it around but in the end it was just masturbation.

I'd wait to see what peter does with the lovely bones before even thinking he may have lost his way.

this is what i think of you ^&%&%^*@#^%*@#%^#@^& - dukeonly
Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #22
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
They were more melodramatic than emotional, actually.
Actually, they were profoundly moving. If you watch Gandalf's death in FOTR or pretty much anything in ROTK from the Ride of the Rohirrim onwards and aren't emotionally stirred, something's wrong with you.

And Jackson's King Kong remake wasn't all that impressive, but it was basically his masturbation project so I'll forgive him for that.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #23
Mountain Man

Quote:
If you watch Gandalf's death in FOTR or pretty much anything in ROTK from the Ride of the Rohirrim onwards and aren't emotionally stirred, something's wrong with you.
Fine. Then there's something "wrong" with me.

Personally, I found Jackson's attempts to squeeze "emotion" out of his actors' performances to be a largely overwrought effort that edged more towards melodrama and parody than genuine emotion.

Mind you, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the films (as a matter of fact, I own all three extended editions). I simply recognize that they're a bit overrated and have their share of flaws.

Last edited by Mountain Man; 09-11-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #24
KaiserSoze

O.k. it seems New Line Cinema has the rights to produce the movie and MGM has the rights to distribute the movie. So it will be a co-production of sorts.

Peter Jackson has said he'd love to do the film but has not been approached by either New Line or MGM as of yet:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/24456

Since Jackson seems willing to direct the movie, it would indicate he's "smoothed" over any hard feelings/legalities with New Line over the LOTR Trilogy ie: $$$$$$$.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #25
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
I simply recognize that they're a bit overrated and have their share of flaws.
I say the same about Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane and Casablanca.

Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #26
ZuljinRaynor

I say, what will be the tone of the movie? The Hobbit was awfully light and happy, since it was a children's book that "Bilbo" wrote; so I wonder how it will be...

I want to see the studio that did the 3D CGI for LOTR to be back, Jackson, and the characters from LotR that are in the Hobbit.

And PJ should be back.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #27
Mountain Man

Quote:
I say the same about Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane and Casablanca.
Good for you.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 PM   #28
Dr.Dude

Talk Bubble Re: MGM has "The Hobbit" license..planning major movie(s)!
I don't really see this really working without Jackson directing... its not that another director couldn't do the book justice, but with the huge success of the LOTR movies, its clear that audiences want more of that exact same tone and style. That style and intepretation is just too ingrained in the general public's mind by now, myself included.

But either way, since he probably will direct... looking forward to it. The Hobbit was one of my favorite books as a kid.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:07 AM   #29
FullMetalJacket
Quote:
Good for you.
Yes, it is.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #30
Kevin Wolff

Red face Re: MGM has "The Hobbit" license..planning major movie(s)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
Fine. Then there's something "wrong" with me.
Well, we've known that for years, but still....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
Personally, I found Jackson's attempts to squeeze "emotion" out of his actors' performances to be a largely overwrought effort that edged more towards melodrama and parody than genuine emotion.
Heh. Perhaps I'm just a pushover, but I almost cried (took a lot effort to avoid) at the end of ROTK in the theater. Yes, I just admitted to crying after a fantasy film, in a gaming forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dude
I don't really see this really working without Jackson directing... its not that another director couldn't do the book justice, but with the huge success of the LOTR movies, its clear that audiences want more of that exact same tone and style.
The Hobbit had a far different tone than LOTR did. If the movie is just like the LOTR movies, it won't be good.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #31
Karthik
Maybe MGM should let Paul Anderson direct it. Also they should set the Hobbit in the far future sci fi enviroment married with fantasy settings.

Old 09-17-2006, 01:12 PM   #32
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wolff View Post
The Hobbit had a far different tone than LOTR did. If the movie is just like the LOTR movies, it won't be good.
The tone was different cause it was Biblo's book. Gandalf said that if he told the story it would be different... so it would be really interesting if the Hobbit does Gandalf's version of the Hobbit and not Bilbo's Kid-Hobbit friendly story. But I would prefer either way.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #33
kylemf88

The hobbit was so much less dark. I'm not sure if this could possibly be good.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #34
DOSGuy

More adventure, less philosophy. I've read the Hobbit more than once, but I find it hard to stick with LOTR for more than a few chapters. The Hobbit gets to the freaking point.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #35
Kalki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
The tone was different cause it was Biblo's book. Gandalf said that if he told the story it would be different... so it would be really interesting if the Hobbit does Gandalf's version of the Hobbit and not Bilbo's Kid-Hobbit friendly story. But I would prefer either way.
The best thing about going from The Hobbit to LOTR was the twist to the children's fairytale. Tolkien took something as innocuous as a magic ring and made it so much more. Most people had that spoiled if they didn't read the Hobbit first. It's what keeps you reading. And it's something that couldn't have been portrayed in the LOTR movies without the Hobbit as a background.

I think The Hobbit should attempt both. Appear as a fairytale on the surface but with the darkening undercurrent of Gandalf's version- the necromancer's rise, without ever naming him although the film audience gradually realises who it is.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 AM   #36
DOSGuy

Bilbo and the dwarves have a number of fairytale escapes in the first part of the book, but the story ends in a very LOTR fashion. Smaug unleashes his power on the river people, smashing, scorching and destroying, before being slain. Quite dramatic.

In the days following the death of Smaug, the dwarves take up positions in the mountain and call for reinforcements, a la Battle of Helms Deep. The situation escalates into a final climactic battle between men, dwarves, elves, goblins and wargs in which members of all five armies are slaughtered, and Thorin dies. The Battle of Five Armies absolutely works in the style of LOTR and makes an excellent transition into the trilogy.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 PM   #37
Daveman

Quote:
Actually, they were profoundly moving. If you watch Gandalf's death in FOTR
I'd say from this point on the movies start getting emotionally powerful at points. Before this it's adventerous, but after Gandalf dies the tone takes a more serious turn (obviously deliberately meant to be a "loss of innocence" kind of thing). There are countless moving scenes in the trilogy. Some don't work very well, others are incredibly effective. There's too many characters and too much story for them all to work perfectly, really.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #38
Mongorian

Quote:

Mind you, that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the films (as a matter of fact, I own all three extended editions). I simply recognize that they're a bit overrated and have their share of flaws.
Indeed.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:28 PM   #39
Nessus

I look forward to the movie, I only hope it will be as good as the cartoon from many years ago.
Old 09-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #40
ZuljinRaynor

I didn't like the cartoon. Voices of the eagles sucked ass.