Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Baystream

Question LCD/LED 3D-TV help wanted
Need some help choosing a new flatscreen tv. I have two models in mind atm.

Samsung LE46C755XXE

This model has the standard lcd backlight system with 3d capability. I would also get three 3d-glasses and seven Blue-Ray 3D movies.

Price: 1399 Euros.

The other model I was looking at is:

Samsung UE46C7705XXE

This model has Edge-LED technology +3D, otherwise they are pretty much identical. With this one I would get two pairs of 3D glasses + 7 Blue-Ray movies.

Price 1749 Euros.

I have tried to search for comparisons and reviews on the net but have found very little info. Anybody here that could give any suggestions? Thanx!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
8IronBob

Re: LCD/LED 3D-TV help wanted
I would actually wait for local-dimming LEDs to become more of a standard...nothing wrong with edge-lit, but you will lose a lot of that accuracy in terms of dark/light scenes in certain areas of the screen. I believe the LG Infinia is probably the only LED TV I know of that has local dimming so far, but it's still more pricey than edge-lit, but still allows for more accurate backlighting.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LE8500-In...9855784&sr=1-3

Looks like Amazon has it for approx. $1440 USD, which is a lot better price than it used to be.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 11-15-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 PM   #3
Inanimate Carbon Rod

3d TV is still in its infancy, I would wait another year or two.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #4
Jeff

The best 3D TV is actually a plasma TV, not an LCD or LED. The Panasonic VT25. Was rated the best HDTV by Cnet so far this year. It has a 96Hz refresh rate. They sell for around $2000 for the 50" model where I live.
Last edited by Jeff; 11-16-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
Baystream

Hi guys!

Thanx for the ideas but I am an impulsive guy so I just bought the C7705 one. Tried it out at the store and the picture quality and 3D was very good.

Anyways I know I could have waited but then again my old 32inch Samsung Hd-ready tv is... well... just too small and has too low res and I have the PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 hooked up to it so I think I will benifit from the 1080p resolution atleast when I use the pc or watch Blue-ray movies.

ICR:

Yepp I know that 3d is still being developed but then again something new and better is always coming out. And from what I saw from the 3d-demo scenes everything seemed to look very nice, in my eyes atleast since I am used to the old 32inch.

Now I am looking forward to maybe I will buy it for all three systems

Ok so now you guys can tell me that I made a huge mistake... please be gentle...
Old 11-17-2010, 06:29 AM   #6
Waiter

After being to a couple of 3D movies, I'll stay with 2D TV until the 3D tecnique allows me to focus where I want to and not where the director wants me to. 3D is cool but too much hard work for a relaxing TV evening.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:42 PM   #7
Inanimate Carbon Rod

In three to five years do you really want to be the guy who still has to wear glasses to watch 3d content? At some point all this stuff will go the glasses free route and everyone with glasses is going to seem antiquated.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
Baystream

I got the TV yesterday and was very pleased with it until I noticed a line in the lower left corner. Everything behind the line is a few shades darker than the rest of the tv

I phoned the store and they told me to put the brightness and contrast to max. That didn't help so I guess I have to return the tv to the store asap. and get a replacement.

Anyways my intentions are to upgrade to a new tv every 5-6 years. The 3d is just an extra that I wanted and from what I have seen so far it works great
Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Nessus

I agree waiting is probably the best course but as a consummate store browser I can say Samsungss 3D is top of the line. The single best TV I ever saw was a samsung oled 240hz tv. Even the simulated no glasses 3D was pretty decent. Samsung is tops.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #10
Baystream

Irritated Re: LCD/LED 3D-TV help wanted
So today I picked up the new TV-set since the previous one had some problems... (See my earlier post). I unpacked the TV I assembled the stand and put the TV on it. Then I said to my brother who you may know as Tekedon btw. "sure hope this one will not have the same problem".

It did NOT have the same problem.

When I turned the TV on I just got a flickering image with some strange lines here and there and I was like ...

After a while after pressing every button on the remote that I could find I got an image saying something like "could not find any channels or signal too weak". Turned off/on the thing again and now the picture was crisp and clear!

This has happend a couple of times. I sure hope it has something to do with the TV being too cold, it's cold in Finland this time of year and this is a brand new TV. Maybe the temperature changes could be the issue?