Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #441
KaiserSoze

Re: The Prey 2 Thread
Interest in game just went down to a 1 from a 9.

No portals. No Tommy. No sale.

The thread at NEOGAF pretty much sums it up:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426054
Last edited by KaiserSoze; 04-01-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #442
JobivanHiob

I think this will be an interesting twist on Prey despite the HUGE changes.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #443
Bam050196

That is a disappointment
Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #444
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
Interest in game just went down to a 1 from a 9.

No portals. No Tommy. No sale.

The thread at NEOGAF pretty much sums it up:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426054
So they're scared that puzzles will bog the game down too much... do they even know what bounty hunting is about? It's 95% detective work and 5% fighting. Tracking a mark across the planet doesn't exactly equal intense non-stop action. So if they're scared of puzzles, why aren't they scared of that?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #445
Bam050196

I honestly don't know why it's called 'Prey 2'.

It's practically a different series(Besides the airplane part).
Old 04-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #446
ReadOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy superman View Post
Developers do what the money men tell them. Money men want a game that looks and plays like every other action game, and without all the portals and puzzles that might confuse their target customer base of me-too dullards out there.
On the contrary. Unique features make game stand out. And the first game was still a shooter anyway. It's not like it was Portal-like and they now want to make it an action game.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #447
wayskobfssae

Prey wasn't an action game?

And what's action-driven about being a hit-man, aside from when you finally catch who you're looking for?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #448
ReadOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
Those idiots would be the IP owners, Zenimax, id owners too may i add.
Human Head isn't owned by Zenimax. They could have opt out of the project, I assume. Besides, it's not a given it was Zenimax.

Quote:
Prey wasn't an action game?
It was. But with unique features.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #449
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I still have a lot of interest in this title. While I am disappointed that Tommy won't be the protagonist I still like the idea of them expanding on the PREY universe.
This very much reminds me of Quake 2 and Unreal 2. Games set in the universe of their original titles, but having basically nothing to do with the originals.

Prey 2 is to Prey what Unreal 2 was to Unreal. A sequel in name and overall universe only. It may not be the Prey we know, but that doesn't mean it can't be a great game in it's own ways.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #450
K100

Old 04-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #451
Nihilanth

I'm excited for this game. Sucks it has nearly nothing to do with the original Prey... but it sounds interesting enough.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #452
nebiatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I still have a lot of interest in this title. While I am disappointed that Tommy won't be the protagonist I still like the idea of them expanding on the PREY universe.
This very much reminds me of Quake 2 and Unreal 2. Games set in the universe of their original titles, but having basically nothing to do with the originals.

Prey 2 is to Prey what Unreal 2 was to Unreal. A sequel in name and overall universe only. It may not be the Prey we know, but that doesn't mean it can't be a great game in it's own ways.
Ugggg.
Unreal 2 sucked donkey butt.

I have about lost interest in this game though.
IF it doesnt have some really stupid for of drm, and has decent pc support, then I will look for it in the bargain bin, IF it gets good reviews from people I trust.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #453
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebiatsu View Post
Ugggg.
Unreal 2 sucked donkey butt.

I have about lost interest in this game though.
IF it doesnt have some really stupid for of drm, and has decent pc support, then I will look for it in the bargain bin, IF it gets good reviews from people I trust.
Unreal 2 was an example. It's the exact same as Quake to Quake 2. Same universe, completely different game, setting, characters, enemies... story.

And really, I loved Unreal 2, a way better game then Unreal ever could have been.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #454
Nihilanth

How is Quake an example of this? Quake and Quake II don't share the universe, just the name.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #455
dan2091

Besides sharing the Strogg logo, I can't find the connection between both games' universes as well .
Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #456
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Way literal with some people.

Same universe as in both games are titled "Quake". That's all I meant. There is no official connection between the games.
Quake 2 was a working title for the game, but when all other titles id wanted to use where already taken... then ran with Quake 2.

It's a sequel by name alone. But, it's a part of the Quake series just like the first game and the third game are. In this case, I used "universe" for the Quake series.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:18 PM   #457
Morbid

Unreal was a masterpiece. Unreal 2 was a disgrace (except for the story ending and the Drakk Hive planet).
Last edited by Morbid; 04-06-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #458
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Your opinion. Doesn't make it fact.
To me, Unreal was boring, tedious, dull, disappointing.... meh.
Unreal II, it embraced a campy, B-level sci-fi story and owned it. And ran with it. As campy and stupid as it was... is was awesome for it.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #459
Kit

Quote:
Prey 2 will get rid of the Portal-predating portals that defined the original game. But why? Developers Human Head explain.

“We explored a lot of the ways you could use portals and gravity in combat, and I really wanted to shift away from making it too much of a puzzle game,” lead designer Chris Reinhart told the latest issue of PSM3.

“Portals and gravity were the functions of The Sphere [the mothership in the original game]. And The Sphere’s gone.”
Ugh… I liked the gravity puzzles.

If there’s no puzzles or portals, or hell, anything else why the bejesus call it Prey? Reading comments on other sites, the only thing the ‘Prey’ name has done is make people completely dismiss this already. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100 View Post
Reminds of that recent Unreal Engine 3.5 (or 4?) trailer.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #460
K100

2 news screenshots: http://www.nofrag.com/2011/avr/07/37474/
Old 04-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #461
nebiatsu
HAH.
Looks JUST like Prey.
NOT.

Looks very console-y to me.
And bright and flashy, for all the 10 year olds, that like bright and flashy things.

Too bad.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #462
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Looks very console-y to me.
And bright and flashy, for all the 10 year olds, that like bright and flashy things.

Too bad.
And... now I can't take your post seriously.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #463
Nihilanth

I like the look of it. Seems nicely detailed.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #464
Rellik66

Thing is, Prey2 has the potential to be a good game regardless of whether it follows it's Prey1 roots or not.

Has it been addressed as to whether the protagonist is the only human outside of earth? I would find it difficult to believe that a human could survive on an alien world without an extended human presence outside of earth.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #465
wayskobfssae

Quote:
HAH.Looks very console-y to me.
There was nothing bright and flashy in Prey. Really. Nothing.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #466
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik66 View Post
Thing is, Prey2 has the potential to be a good game regardless of whether it follows it's Prey1 roots or not.
Well, yeah. But the name still sucks.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #467
Gryph

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuljinRaynor View Post
Well, yeah. But the name still sucks.
Get over it.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #468
ZuljinRaynor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryph View Post
Get over it.
How about... no.

This game is just like Dragon Age 2 to Dragon Age: Origins. Retarded naming conventions.

Some of us actually like sequelitis over shoehorn-new-game-into-existing ip-itis.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #469
wayskobfssae

Quote:
Get over it.
It's this simple. If you have an original game that you think can't actually carry its own weight without riding the coattails of a proven franchise, then it probably shouldn't be made.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #470
Ras

Hah. That dead thing on the ground looks like Zandozan from The Last Starfighter.

With kind of a Predator forehead. Or a headcrab on its head.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #471
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Get over it.
If it's that simple, nobody should be allowed to "complain" about anything any game does. "Get over it" doesn't work, specially when discussing something you enjoy or feel strongly on.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #472
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer View Post
It too sucks that because it's using id tech 4 its release may delay the id tech 4 gpl release.

You think this comes as a surprise to id? When Carmack said they would release the source code after the release of Rage he already knew about this. So I am sure that he got the approval from HH if that is even neccesary. Plus the publisher of this game and the owner of the IP is ZeniMax, who also happens to own ..... id Software!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #473
K100

Tommy is back in Prey 2 !

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/pr...ostPageIndex=1

"Like Tommy before him, Samuels has no grasp of his role in the world, and even thinks that he may be the only human left. Until he meets Tommy, that is, who is said to play a substantial role in the sequel."
Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 PM   #474
Gryph

I'm liking the sound of the game more and more
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...review-prey-2/
Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 AM   #475
X-Vector

Well, Prey 2 certainly looks a lot better to me than its predecessor, even though I'll never become a fan of id Tech 4 and the game scores no points for visual originality (it's basically a mix of KotOR and Mass Effect).
Using the Prey name is cheap, but like the author of the RPS article I'm happy that Human Head is taking a different approach this time:

Quote:
I’m very surprised. Good surprised, not bad surprised. Prey is not a game I feel anything about, to be completely honest. I know it has its fans, but for me it remains part of that mass of id Tech 4-based stodgy shooters which went heavy on bio-mechanical corridor-pounding gloss at the expense of play I found truly engaging, despite early-game experiments with big ideas. Prey 2? More corridors, more textbook murderous aliens, more blamblamblam, no thank you ma’am.
Replace "feel anything" with "care" and this is exactly how I felt about the Prey demo.
Surely it can only get better this time?
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #476
ZuljinRaynor

It needs more brown, deserts, and Russians!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #477
GOK

If it's got 'Prey' in the title then i would have expected portals. Sounds more and more like just another shooter.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #478
Kristian Joensen

Initially when I heard this game described I thought it was gonna suck as game in addition to having virtually nothing to do with Prey. The more information that started flowing out the more I started liking the concept and thinking it might be a great game but not really true to Prey at all. But now that there are indications that Tommy might play a large role in this game, I am starting to become cautiously optimistic about this.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #479
Rapture_Rising

I am going to hold off judgement until i see some proper gameplay, I know where the hardcore fans are coming from when they say that "Its not prey without Tommy" it doesnt take a genius to realise that im a big Bioshock fan, and i was a little dissapointed that Bioshock Infinite wasnt going to be set in Rapture but honestly from what i saw from the "scripted" gameplay video it actually looks quite good.

My point is that wait to see what the game looks like properly before making any judgement on whether its good or not.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #480
Morbid

some screenshots look tasteful enough to spark my interest. Let's hope there is a better story this time around cause I couldn't stand the cheesy story and the loser characters of the first one at all...