Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #41
Delicieuxz

Re: Language for a beginner
I've also been enjoying this C++ video tutorial series on youtube. I think it's pretty informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyVhn0FWWB4
Anticipating: GTA V, The Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, Assassin's Creed III, Overgrowth, Star Wars: 1313, Double Fine Adventure, Grim Dawn, Guild Wars 2, Doom 4, MechWarrior Online, Hawken, Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Xenonauts, Baldur's Gate EE
Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #42
Jiminator

hrm, turbo pascal. the first cheap mainstream language. the top down vs bottom design. of course that is a fail, I don't know that anybody uses pascal any more aside from legacy apps.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #43
Betelgeuse

After a little more study on the subject and some careful thought, i have decided to study C++. ha, i never thought i would ever enjoy studying, i think i have found my calling. And i have to say, it feels fu++in great.
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Old 05-05-2010, 05:10 AM   #44
Crosma

Exclamation Re: Language for a beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminator View Post
I don't know that anybody uses pascal any more aside from legacy apps.
There's always Delphi, I guess.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #46
Sang

@Betelgeuse: If you sorta know how programming works (without having to be an expert) you should be able to quickly understand most other languages as well.

You already started working on events? Wouldn't do that, I think you should learn the basics about variables and all kinds of clauses first (if/else, while, for,... etc).

Not sure what IT course you're gonna follow but a head start isn't really that necessary, at least it wasn't for me. I stepped in there with zero programming knowledge but I learned quite quickly - and now a lot of people following the same course ask me their programming questions. Junior stuff though, not gonna code the next Duke3D source port just yet

edit: apparently his post is really old but whatever
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #47
Glassagate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
@Betelgeuse: If you sorta know how programming works (without having to be an expert) you should be able to quickly understand most other languages as well.

You already started working on events? Wouldn't do that, I think you should learn the basics about variables and all kinds of clauses first (if/else, while, for,... etc).

Not sure what IT course you're gonna follow but a head start isn't really that necessary, at least it wasn't for me. I stepped in there with zero programming knowledge but I learned quite quickly - and now a lot of people following the same course ask me their programming questions. Junior stuff though, not gonna code the next Duke3D source port just yet

So, when you started, did you pick up a book, or did you find some tutorials
online? I can understand the book approach, since you start at page one
and go on from there, but how are you suppose to know how to proceed
when you go the "tutorial route"? Do you just find a copy of a book's
"content tree" (outline) and use that as a road map?
Old 05-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #48
Jiminator

eh, get a bunch of books, read them. then try to figure out how to do the tutorials. unfortunately many languages have a huge learning curve. If its something you really want to do, you will figure it out. if not, you should probably be doing something else. not really something you want to try to see how you like it.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #49
Betelgeuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post

hey thanks for the reply, see i am actually a bit nervous about studying information technology, but i have really been getting into the c++ language, that "n00b spoon fed tutorial" series is really helping and i'm finding it to be a really fun spare time activity. So far, i have clear understanding of variables and the Lvalue - Rvalue rule, if/else statements, the boolean , NOT AND OR operators, creating new functions and jumping from function to function... and a bunch of other stuff, i understand it's a long path to follow, but i am so confident, when im at work, im revising code in my head, writing little code blocks on paper, it's all i can think about lately. Your reply makes me feel better about taking the course anyway! cheers Sang.
{ cout << " my mum says im cool... "; return 13; }
Old 05-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #50
8IronBob

Ahh yes, Delphi...always wanted to get into that, but with Borland's pricing...heh. Easier said than done.
I mean, Microsoft's whole Visual Studio Standard package is at least a third of the price of only one language from Borland, which can be at least $1K USD for C++Builder or Delphi, if not more so. I looked at Amazon, and they wanted anywhere from $1,500 to $2,500 USD for one copy. Jeez... Seems like they can't compete with VS2008 at much at those price levels, or at least offer a personal, standard edition of their language suites. I'm not trying to start a Borland/MS war here, but...I just feel that they should start being more competitive for the hobbyist too, not just for big-time professionals.

EDIT: I stand corrected, you can have Turbo C 3.0 free: http://www.brothersoft.com/turbo-c-182798.html
I suppose that the side of Borland I saw was overpriced languages that are geared towards corporate brass.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 05-08-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #51
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassagate View Post
So, when you started, did you pick up a book, or did you find some tutorials
online?
Nope, learned it through school, they've got some really solid teaching methods there.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 AM   #52
peoplessi

8IronBob, the VS Express Editions are free and feature wise complete enough for starting programmers. If somebody is just starting out, the last thing would be to pay excessive amounts of money for a development package.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 AM   #53
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
8IronBob, the VS Express Editions are free and feature wise complete enough for starting programmers. If somebody is just starting out, the last thing would be to pay excessive amounts of money for a development package.
+1000

Visual Studio is the best way to go, either C++ or C#, and if your using OSX use XCode. Don't use anything made by borland, I didn't even know they were still around any more :/.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #54
Duke rajongó
I have the visual c++2010.-es his version somebody would be able to write it down how it is necessary to install it onto the machine?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #55
Crosma

Exclamation Re: Language for a beginner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
I suppose that the side of Borland I saw was overpriced languages that are geared towards corporate brass.
Borland released non-commercial versions (a la Visual Studio Express) of most of their stuff, and older versions were often released for free to promote newer versions.

I have no idea about any of their current stuff though.