Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
mr.smith

What ever happened to "Earth No More".
i was really waiting for this one i thought the team based FPS was a great in Left 4 Dead, i was hoping for Earth no more to evolve this into something greater.
Anyone know if it will be released or stay in limbo?
i know the courtcase was settled but that was the last i heard about the game.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Kristian Joensen

Re: What ever happened to "Earth No More".
Last we knew it was put on hold so Recoil could "focus" on smaller titles with quicker turnaround. They are currently working on a downloadable action title. It is unknown if "focus" means that no work is being done on ENM or if Recoil is still devoting some time or resources to ENM on a more occasional basis until they can ramp it back up.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
mr.smith

What's with this "We" business? you got a mouse in your pocket? lol

i guess Recoil/Radar shares 3Drealms "WID" motto. Thanks KJ
Old 08-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Kristian Joensen

We = The community/public, anyone who isn't Recoil or Radar.

"Thanks KJ"

No problem

"i guess Recoil/Radar shares 3Drealms "WID" motto."

One of Radar's roles in their titles is management of milestones actually.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
peoplessi

Money happened, not enough resources to pursue ENM. The game is put on "hold" for the time being. I doubt there is much work done with ENM if they have other projects going on, the studio isn't that big.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
SpinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
Money happened, not enough resources to pursue ENM. The game is put on "hold" for the time being. I doubt there is much work done with ENM if they have other projects going on, the studio isn't that big.
this, and an industry that has huge profit making publishers that don't dare to step in to a mature, original and new IP...

rather make a FPS with modern warfare as subject (MOH, COD, homefront, Ghost recon, spec ops)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ftbfelix
Old 08-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
this, and an industry that has huge profit making publishers that don't dare to step in to a mature, original and new IP...
Which is why Radar Group is one of the most risk taking ventures in the industry, working on multiple new IP's at the same time.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #8
SpinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Which is why Radar Group is one of the most risk taking ventures in the industry, working on multiple new IP's at the same time.
idd, they have a great vision about how the game industry should evolve, instead of the hollywood approach that all publishers seem to want...

Radar helps new independent studios develop a new IP and hope that when it is in a acceptable alpha version, other publishers help pick it up...

This last aspect didn't happen for earth no more, sadly... Also the whole economic crisis happened...

Old 08-16-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
Kristian Joensen

Indeed, indeed.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #10
Nacho

I'm actually wondering what is up with Radar... its been some time since we've seen anything from them in the news. You'd think that Scott would be a fan of publicizing his baby.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
peoplessi

So far Radar Group has been all talk. You can talk about Vision and all those fancy words, but you have to prove those words at some point. Radar Group hasn't done that yet.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Kristian Joensen

That is true, as such. But given the long development times these days and the fact that Radar Group was founded in June 2007, it is to be expected.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Well, it is disheartening to know that Radar Group announces two projects... and then what happens? PREY gets sold to ZeniMax and Earth No More gets put on hold.
Given 3DRealms' history it's not very encouraging to see such actions happen.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #14
Nihilanth

Radar... I've been checking their site once in a while but nothing happens. And yes, what happens to their projects while they haven't done much yet, it's not really good. Hopefully this will change. Maybe.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
dan2091

I still believe there was no need to create such thing as Radar Group. They could have released those games under the 3D Realms brand and still be relevant. I only see it as a marketing tactic that went nowhere.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #16
Rapture_Rising

i personally think we will never see this game.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
crunchy superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
I still believe there was no need to create such thing as Radar Group. They could have released those games under the 3D Realms brand and still be relevant. I only see it as a marketing tactic that went nowhere.
I imagine it's an attempt to get as far away from the 3DR name as possible for future projects. Not a really trusted brand these anymore. But then Radar is not off to such a bang up start so far either.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
Kristian Joensen

Well, Radar Group has its own management(With the newest hire being the President they hired in March 2009, Chuck Shoumaker) and its has VC funding. It is not like it is a wholly owned 3DR subsidiary. But even if it was that it is still makes sense from a stand point of brand identity and limited liability to keep it separate.

"But then Radar is not off to such a bang up start so far either."

Why do you say that? I mean sure they put ENM on hold and sold off the Prey IP, but indications are that the have started two new projects meanwhile. I don't see Radar Group putting ENM on hold and selling Prey in any different light then 3DR selling off Blood and Descent while canceling other games in the mid to late 90s. Radar has been active since its start, I doubt their staff is just sitting on their ass all day. Heck we just know about their executive team, Scott has several time referred to their being multiple creative directors and writers at Radar that we apparently know nothing about. Radar simply hasn't existed long enough to see a game release.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
TJR
Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplessi View Post
So far Radar Group has been all talk. You can talk about Vision and all those fancy words, but you have to prove those words at some point. Radar Group hasn't done that yet.
Part of the difficulty might be the fact that they're trying to do cross-media IP. This requires significant commitment from multiple companies, and if one group has cold feet, the entire project could fail to get off the ground. It's a difficult position where (as far as investors are concerned) the existence of the game is justified by the existence of the movie, and vice versa.

Radar could go the 3D Realms route and focus solely on developing game properties. However, given today's high costs, I think publishers (and developers who have the resources) would rather maximize ownership by creating their own concepts instead of working with a "middleman" like Radar.

Quote:
Radar has been active since its start, I doubt their staff is just sitting on their ass all day. Heck we just know about their executive team, Scott has several time referred to their being multiple creative directors and writers at Radar that we apparently know nothing about. Radar simply hasn't existed long enough to see a game release.
I'm sure they're busy, but I suspect the economy also crippled certain efforts.

Founding creative director, Raphael van Lierop (the star producer that Miller had hired to lead and develop his team of creative directors), quit just two years into his tenure. Couple that fact with the statuses of Prey/ENM, and it seems clear to me that time isn't the only issue here.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #20
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Part of the difficulty might be the fact that they're trying to do cross-media IP. This requires significant commitment from multiple companies, and if one group has cold feet, the entire project could fail to get off the ground.
Well what they are trying to do is make IP's that are suitable for both linear and interactive media. This is not contingent on launching movies and games at the same time, on the contrary they are opposed to forcing games to be released at the same time as a movie or telling the same same story across multiple media, hence the concept of "storyverse". The ability so sustain many different stories in one and the same universe, across both linear and interactive media. In turn requiring this storyverse to have the elements to generate both good games AND good movies.

"However, given today's high costs, I think publishers (and developers who have the resources) would rather maximize ownership by creating their own concepts instead of working with a "middleman" like Radar."

Sure, but this a industry with all kinds of projects based on all kinds of working relationships between developers and publishers. I am sure Activision would love to own Bungie's new IP or EA Respawn's. There are benefits to working with a company like Radar, both because of Radar's funding of pre-production, hence lessening the funding burden on the publisher. But also due to the fact that the games are in a more advanced stage when signed with the publisher and finally also because it is a less risky proposition signing up with a new IP with a new development studio with the experienced leadership team of Radar acting as a sort of quality control stamp.

"I'm sure they're busy, but I suspect the economy also crippled certain efforts."

I agree, I am sure the financial crisis has taken its toll on Radar Group. I am just saying it is premature to pronounce Radar as a failure or as having some kind of bad start.

"It seems clear to me that time isn't the only issue here."

Agreed.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #21
dan2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy superman View Post
I imagine it's an attempt to get as far away from the 3DR name as possible for future projects. Not a really trusted brand these anymore. But then Radar is not off to such a bang up start so far either.
Not a trusted brand anymore, really ? I know.. I know.. but c'mon. If they'd have stick with Prey and ENM, sure what happened next with those games wouldn't have helped 3D Realms name at all, like Radar right now; but if everythings would have happenned according to plan, both games could have enlarged the list of games under the 3D Realms brand.

Quote:
But even if it was that it is still makes sense from a stand point of brand identity and limited liability to keep it separate.
I agree on this and seeing it from this point it makes a lot of sense, but I have to admit that as a fan I see it as a matter of legacy rather than business. I believe, both, legacy and business, are really important in any market, say hollywood, software, art, sports; and when they created Radar, to me, they totally shortened what could've been a bigger 3D Realms legacy.

I base the last statement on the fact they claimed Radar Group was created to handle all external projects so 3D Realms could focus internally, but wasn't this what 3D Realms and Apogee actually first do? If Radar was created before Max Payne, the last product released under 3DR would have been Shadow Warrior.

I'm not a naysayer at all and I didn't mean to say that Radar is getting nowhere, I agree that economy takes effect everywhere to anyone and that they haven't got time to actually show off... but saying that 3D Realms can't handle things internally and externally it's a lie . An old brand can always keep itself fresh.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #22
Kristian Joensen

It is anyones guess as to the exact reasons for why Radar was created but Radar was created shortly after 3DR began significantly expanding its 3rd party efforts. Radar was probably started to get access to other funding sources than 3DR, without having to sell off parts of 3DR.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #23
dan2091

I still wish 3DR as a company would get involvement in more projects, but, up to what I know, given its current condition it doesn't seem likely to begin with.
I have to admit that the reasons you've pointed out, access to other funding resources and limited liability, are significant enough for an independent company like Radar to be created.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #24
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

3DRealms still exists as a company and they've said they will continue to "produce" titles much in the same way they did with Max Payne and PREY.
Just now, they are no longer a development studio.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 08-20-2010, 03:00 AM   #25
Destructor

3DR is as good as dead. All it is now is a house to store the Duke Nukem IP.

Radar Group is probably as good as dead too.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 AM   #26
Kristian Joensen

You say that based on what?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 AM   #27
SpinX

Quote:
You say that based on what?
he said that based of his frustrations...

Old 08-20-2010, 05:18 AM   #28
Rapture_Rising

based on the fact that publicly they havent done anything.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #29
DerricktheW

I never looked into this game, and all I've known is that Apogee/3DRealms/Whoever had another game besides Duke that was war themed in the making for a long time.

Then I saw the debut trailer for Homefront recently and some screenshots, and I was thinking "Wow, it took them that long to come up with THIS? Man those forum members are going to be pissed beyond belief"

Then a few moments later I checked and I got the names mixed up. Yup, this game is still MIA
Old 08-20-2010, 06:20 AM   #30
Kristian Joensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
based on the fact that publicly they havent done anything.
So what ? They haven't been around long enough for that. Any game they started even immediately upon founding probably wouldn't come out until 2012 or even later.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #31
DerricktheW

That depends on if they're developing their own engine.

You could actually release a game with only a year of development if you have an already made engine. Look at Crackdown 2; it was made in 8 months. Sure, it shows in the quality of it, but even still, its pretty amazing what they got done in 8 months.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #32
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerricktheW View Post
That depends on if they're developing their own engine.

You could actually release a game with only a year of development if you have an already made engine. Look at Crackdown 2; it was made in 8 months. Sure, it shows in the quality of it, but even still, its pretty amazing what they got done in 8 months.
That's a really bad example.
Crackdown 2 is a sequel, using a lot of the same assets and tools.

Creating a brand new IP, even on an already finished engine, can take a long time. Expecting a new IP, a brand new title from a brand new company... within a year or two seems rather... unrealistic.
I'm not saying how Radar has done things is the correct way. I will openly say they've made mistakes. Honestly, the company probably shouldn't have made any announcements until they were certain they had something to really show.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #33
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
i personally think we will never see this game.
That really isn't fair... even though this game isn't directly from 3D Realms, if it gets done in less than 13 years, they have beat a marker. (hehehe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructor View Post
3DR is as good as dead. All it is now is a house to store the Duke Nukem IP.

Radar Group is probably as good as dead too.
The irony of this statement is really awesome. "to store the Duke Nukem IP." I guess that makes them Dead-minus now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
That's a really bad example.
Crackdown 2 is a sequel, using a lot of the same assets and tools.

Creating a brand new IP, even on an already finished engine, can take a long time. Expecting a new IP, a brand new title from a brand new company... within a year or two seems rather... unrealistic.
I'm not saying how Radar has done things is the correct way. I will openly say they've made mistakes. Honestly, the company probably shouldn't have made any announcements until they were certain they had something to really show.
I agree. With these massive development timeframes of today, if I was a developer, I would not say a word until I had content. I would not start content without enough money to do the game twice either.
If you look at say the music industry, a garage band has to have completed products so to speak before it can "get found and make it big". I see this is the band having the money up front to make their product... maybe unpolished, but complete for the most part. This is still a possibility in the music world. But in the game industry it doesn't work this way anymore. It used to. Two examples. One. Nightmare 3D by David Gray. There was like 4 people involved in the entire project. Epic? No. Fun? Absolutely. Then Two. Look at Kens Labyrinth! Holy crap! Ken and ONE GUY wrote the whole game! He was a high school kid! Then Apogee says, come here Ken Silverman, we have a project for you... and like magic (three years of grueling magic) we have the Build Engine leading to Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Blood and about 7 other games! But of course now the Build engine is considered obsolete... so my point is that it was a great time when games weren't unreasonable investments and Garage Developers had a shot... but unless they are millionaires, this golden age of gaming is gone forever.

I am glad I was there to see it. I exchanged emails with Ken Silverman, David Gray, and John Romero in the past, but this kind of development is no longer possible with today game complexity requirements.

3D Realms was the last real Garage Developer in my opinion... I miss what they were.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Last edited by MrBlackCat; 09-12-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #34
mr.smith

Earth no more
hey does anyone think that the game will get finnished now that Scott has some cash from the Duke Deal?

i would like to see this game it almost sounds like left 4 dead but without the zombies.
recoil is locked up tight and haven't said peep about it. neither has Scott.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #35
Sang

Re: Earth no more
Lol, of course not.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #36
Dopefish7590

I doubt it... It would take a miracle to get it started, much less finished. Sorry. :\
Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #37
Sabarasa
Also there's Bulletstorm, Which is pretty much like what Earth no more was going to be.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #38
Gryph

I thought Earth No More was going to be a serious game. Bulletstorm looks like juvenile (albiet fun) garbage.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #39
Duke's New Chainsaw

Did you need to make another thread? http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38005

It's still on the first page.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #40
crunchy superman

lol