Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-30-2015, 11:24 PM   #1
DirtyFexen
Gearbox now owns all rights to Duke Nukem
Alpha/Beta releases of Duke3D are canned according to TerminX from Duke4.net

3D Realms held the rights of the Duke Movie after the sale of the IP to Gearbox. Domain for DukeNukemMovie.com was updated some days ago and is now registered to Gearbox.

3D Realms walked into the lawsuit with rights to all games before Duke Forever and licence to Duke Trilogy, Mass Destruction and others and walked out with absolutely nothing.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
Rapture_Rising

Re: Gearbox now owns all rights to Duke Nukem
Probably not a surprising result and was the terms of the settlement between 3DR and Gearbox, So it looks like Gearbox owns everything Duke Nukem now.

The thing is this is what 3DR gets for trying to use a technicality to release a Duke Nukem game that it didn't have the rights too, this whole situation could have been avoided if Interceptor went to Gearbox with the idea. There is no Duke Nukem game from Gearbox in sight so they probably would have allowed development to continue, instead we ended up with this mess.

3DR realms would have done the same thing in this situation so Gearbox really aren't the bad guys here.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Mikko_P
What the...?? Does this mean, that we can't get to see the Alpha/Beta releases of Duke3D & SW??

I've been waiting for this.....
Last edited by Mikko_P; 08-31-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
IceColdDuke
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyFexen View Post
3D Realms walked into the lawsuit with rights to all games before Duke Forever and licence to Duke Trilogy, Mass Destruction and others and walked out with absolutely nothing.
Do we actually know what the terms of the settlement are? It could be Interceptor looked at the viability of the Duke IP and realized it wasn't worth keeping, let's face it, the IP is more or less dead right now and it will take a lot of effort from someone to resurrect it. It could be the math didn't add up.
Last edited by IceColdDuke; 08-31-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Altered Reality

What does it mean for 3DRealms? Will Duke games made (or produced) by 3DRealms still be available to buy through the 3DRealms store? What about GOG?
Old 09-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Mikko_P
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyFexen View Post
Alpha/Beta releases of Duke3D are canned according to TerminX from Duke4.net
But...... Is that one really true?? I did wait for my chance to complete my Alpha/Beta collection.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
ragingboner
glad gbx now owns everything duke. Now interceptor won't try to make a quick buck with crappy duke games.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Stevey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingboner View Post
glad gbx now owns everything duke. Now interceptor won't try to make a quick buck with crappy duke games.
I sort of agree with you, but I don't have a lot of faith in Gearbox after A:CM, Homeworld Remastered and that new game that looks shit.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:37 PM   #9
Robman

Can the Shadow Warrior betas still be released? That's all I cared about
Old 09-14-2015, 07:54 PM   #10
The Duke Returns

I thought Wild Hog owned Shadow Warrior now
Old 09-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
Lunick Fiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke Returns View Post
I thought Wild Hog owned Shadow Warrior now
Close, it is Devolver Digital that owns Shadow Warrior now https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39159
Old 09-14-2015, 08:40 PM   #12
Robman

And...does this mean the Sw betas can still be released?

I would surely hope it's just the duke portion that won't be released. There was alot more games on the list.
Last edited by Robman; 09-14-2015 at 08:57 PM. Reason: complaining of a different kind.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:40 PM   #13
The Duke Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
Close, it is Devolver Digital that owns Shadow Warrior now https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=39159
Same guys that let General Arcade make the Duke Nukem Megaton Edition Decent port shame I don't own it anymore
Old 09-15-2015, 03:39 AM   #14
Lunick Fiore

Quote:
Same guys that let General Arcade make the Duke Nukem Megaton Edition Decent port shame I don't own it anymore
Old 09-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #15
The Duke Returns

I don't own my old steam account anymore, I haven't been on it in a week cause got anew one and not even going to bother in getting Duke Nukem anything not worth my time anymore to play Duke Nukem on Steam
Last edited by The Duke Returns; 09-15-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #16
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

You... don't "own" your Steam account anymore.

Why?

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 09-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #17
The Duke Returns

I'm not going to say athing
Old 09-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #18
Alyxx

I think Gearbox are going to do something cool with the Duke franchise. At least I hope so.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
MrBlackCat

In tradition of 3D Realms Forums, aren't we suppose to speculate that the whole legal thing was a hoax to hide the surprise release of Duke Nukem Forever?

I think the court case was faked because they are going to release Duke Nukem Forever soon... Staying Tuned...

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 09-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #20
Robman

No definitive answer about the Sw betas and the other games?

I'm going to keep asking every 6 months until I crack open a juicy beta .grp file like it's ma birthday.
Last edited by Robman; 09-16-2015 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Alphas? Yes please.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:37 PM   #21
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyxx View Post
I think Gearbox are going to do something cool with the Duke franchise. At least I hope so.
I would agree.

As is, even though it was based off existing concepts and plans.... the DLC, "The Doctor Who Cloned Me" was much better then the base DNF game.

And, Gearbox have already been up front about the fact that they are working on concepts, stories... and are looking for a studio to hire to make the game.
As GBX itself is too busy with it's own contracts to 2K (Borderlands 3), Ubisoft (Brothers in Arms) and finishing Battleborn.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 09-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #22
The Duke Returns

Duke Nukem Forever to me was like watching Alien vs Predator 2 wasn't really good however the dlc is really good funny too.

I do like to see what gearbox can do just have to wait it out and see, I would like to see some coop stuff if it is possible to do that love doing campaign together with friends.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:54 AM   #23
Alyxx

I guess I'm in the minority of thinking DNF was an awesome game.
It's like, for me it mostly didn't matter if it was mediocre because it was f***ing Duke. It NAILED the attitude, the atmosphere and the humor. I was having such a good time throughout the game that any flaws just didn't matter to me. Yes, it has a lot of flaws but... I had so much fun and it felt like such a refreshing experience. I have NEVER played ANYTHING like Duke Nukem Forever and probably never will again. It was one of those games for me that defined 2011 in a way because nothing else came close to it. People either "got it" or didn't, and I belong in the former camp.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:56 AM   #24
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I enjoyed DNF, I like it.
But... it has issues. There's a surprising lack of action and fighting. And, they went over board with the idea that Duke has to be funny.

It was an element of DN3D that was window dressing. A small side element that worked because it wasn't the main focus. DN3D wasn't outright trying to be funny.
But, somewhere along the line that got far more attention then it ever should have.

In DN3D I never once had a hard, laugh out loud moment. The occasional chuckle caused by a "I get that reference" type moment.
Hearing a one liner and knowing where it came from. Seeing a parody of an action film, or a current media story and knowing where it came from. They were good for a smile, a chuckle...
Those small sarcastic, black humor fueled moments that broke up the serious tone of the game.

DNF... took that and ran with it was too much. They tried way too hard to make the game a comedy action experience. When it should have been an action game, serious... dark... with some sarcasm and black humor to break up the tone a few times.

Like I said, I like DNF.. but at times, it feels like a parody of DN3D instead of a sequel.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #25
Alyxx

I dunno, I loved it. I thought it was spot on.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #26
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

As I said, I like it... but, it's not as good as say DN3D or even DN:Zero Hour.
Those two sit as my favorite entries in the Duke series.

Even though Zero Hour isn't canon.
Manhattan Project is good as well, but, some of the platforming areas can get a bit annoying.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #27
The Duke Returns

Zero Hour had really good gameplay and story, it weird seeing Duke 3D Textures in there it can see some of them on level 3 after liberty level where the snowman is behind crack
Last edited by The Duke Returns; 09-17-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #28
Mark1.0

I hated to see another victory for Gearbox. In spite of having played all the games to some degree, I'm not a huge Duke fan, so I'm not too torn up about 3DR losing the character. I think the character, and Duke Nukem 3D specifically, have overshadowed 3DR for too long. I'm sure it's been a huge financial asset for them, but eventually you have to move on. It's been 20 years, after all.

Ideally, this will be positive for everyone. 3DR can move on, and hopefully all the hardcore Duke fans will get the game they've been waiting for.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #29
8IronBob

Quote:
Well, the Megaton Collection IS on Steam, downloaded it myself a few days ago: http://store.steampowered.com/app/225140/
Old 09-25-2015, 05:01 PM   #30
Alyxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1.0 View Post
I hated to see another victory for Gearbox. In spite of having played all the games to some degree, I'm not a huge Duke fan, so I'm not too torn up about 3DR losing the character. I think the character, and Duke Nukem 3D specifically, have overshadowed 3DR for too long. I'm sure it's been a huge financial asset for them, but eventually you have to move on. It's been 20 years, after all.

Ideally, this will be positive for everyone. 3DR can move on, and hopefully all the hardcore Duke fans will get the game they've been waiting for.
Yeah, I hope so too.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #31
TerminX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryan2000x View Post
Atleast Gearbox & Devolver Digital owns the rights instead of those Danish 3D Realms Devs making a Diablo wanna-be "Bombshell" and it was bad IMO.

Just hoping for Devolver Digital getting the prototypes & Gearbox's Duke 3D Rights will hope for the best tho :P

Until then, still back to trying on remaking things like these.
Duhurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #32
Mikko_P
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbryan2000x View Post
Just hoping for Devolver Digital getting the prototypes & Gearbox's Duke 3D Rights will hope for the best tho :P
I agree with you. I was hoping that one.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #33
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Why... Devolver Digital doesn't own anything, or have any part in regards to Duke Nukem.

3DRealms hired them for the DN3D: Megaton Edition.
Gearbox is the sole (only) owner of Duke Nukem. Yes, Gearbox could hire Devolver to do something with Duke, at a later date.

Devolver owns the Shadow Warrior IP, and has Flying Wild Hog working on that series.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #34
Mikko_P
Oh, Ok.

I think i misunderstood the thing Bryan told.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #35
Lunick Fiore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko_P View Post
Oh, Ok.

I think i misunderstood the thing Bryan told.
It's a good idea to never listen to a thing Bryan says
Old 10-22-2015, 11:27 AM   #36
Mikko_P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunick Fiore View Post
It's a good idea to never listen to a thing Bryan says
Thanks, pal

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 AM ----------

And I understand the situation, that Gearbox now owns Duke Nukem.

But there is one question: While reading the topic "Duke3D & SW: Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material", what did Frederik mean by that, when he wrote: "The promise is still there, but we are no longer the owners of that promise unfortunately. Again, we did the best we could all the way through. TerminX knows the details as he was involved in the work on this, but is unfortunately also under NDA." concerning the release of Alpha/Betas of Duke3D.
Last edited by Mikko_P; 10-23-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:41 PM   #37
Mikko_P
You wrote in your profile a message, where you said that you will respect others and quit trolling, did you?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #38
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko_P View Post
But there is one question: While reading the topic "Duke3D & SW: Early/Alpha/Beta/Gold Material", what did Frederik mean by that, when he wrote: "The promise is still there, but we are no longer the owners of that promise unfortunately.
It's simple. It means it could still happen, but the decision isn't up to 3DR anymore.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #39
Mikko_P
So the decision is up to GearBox now, is that right?
Old 11-30-2015, 11:23 PM   #40
Robman

..Sw?
Last edited by Robman; 11-30-2015 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Yep, asking again.