Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
Diocide
freezing on xduke in dukematch
Hi, when i play on yang now with xduke 50% of the time when i pick up an item or get shot at, my screen freezes and turns red or green, it like starts from the top of the screen and fills the screen with red or green but freezes for like 2 seconds. This used to happen to me when i had winamp open and i ran xduke, i thought the problem was because winamp uses midi and so does xduke, and now this is happening even when i don't have winamp open. Also ever since i last reformatted this has been happening to me, The only difference is I'm on windows xp service pack2 with latest updates and before i was just on xp with no service pack. Anyone know a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #2
The Commander

Re: freezing on xduke in dukematch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diocide View Post
Hi, when i play on yang now with xduke 50% of the time when i pick up an item or get shot at, my screen freezes and turns red or green, it like starts from the top of the screen and fills the screen with red or green but freezes for like 2 seconds. This used to happen to me when i had winamp open and i ran xduke, i thought the problem was because winamp uses midi and so does xduke, and now this is happening even when i don't have winamp open. Also ever since i last reformatted this has been happening to me, The only difference is I'm on windows xp service pack2 with latest updates and before i was just on xp with no service pack. Anyone know a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.
How about playing with a real port like EDuke32 and not a fail Old/Never updated port like XDuke.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Steve

EDuke32 has definitely improved the multiplayer over xduke. Give it a try.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Diocide
Most people on yang and the people i play with use xduke, xduke is awesome when i runs right, No one knows how to fix this? if no one knows i guess i will use eduke but I'd rather use xduke. I remember like 2 years ago, everyone said use Xduke its the best for multiplayer, and that eduke sucked for it. That has changed? thanks
Last edited by Diocide; 04-07-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
GrimWoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
How about playing with a real port like EDuke32 and not a fail Old/Never updated port like XDuke.
Most everyone on Yang uses xduke, something about the mouse control? I don't know why, i guess people don't want to move on to something better. It really pisses me off too because xduke dosen't even run on Windows 7.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Diocide
i love xduke, wish they would update it. my nephew was playing it with me on windows 7 it ran but the graphics were messed up.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Tried using Eduke latest version, it runs worse then xduke, first of all it lags for a few seconds then crashes every time. tried like 5 times. and for my nephew too it makes a crushing noise then shows a white screen first and bugs out, but hes still in the game, he can exit it but hes dead.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Diocide
does anyone know what art file flashes when you pickup an item, its green, or red maybe if i delete them, it will fix it.

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

NM problem solved, Xduke doesn't like Firefox to be open at the same time. I'm so happy its fixed now. Can play online fine now.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #8
chaosomega

I noticed with xduke if you have internet explorer open it ****s the game up making it run slower.. at least with my experiences with it. It pisses me off ppl dun use eduke some odd reason xduke is better..Oh if any of you wanna duke it out with me on eduke with yang feel free to contact me msn at [email protected] or yahoo at dark_knightvll. We can do coop or team death match if we have enough ppl
Last edited by chaosomega; 04-10-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
Replicauk
Does the green pause still happen with xDuke 19.8?

In xDuke 19.7.1 I can patch or fix exe to disable the green pausing you are talking about and it doesn't pause anymore. It is also a feature I added in a beta of my demo recorder that you can try on my site. But I didn't include it for the new xDuke 19.8 release as maybe it does not happen anymore.

For Windows 7 users if you change your windows theme to classic it should fix the color problem for Win 7 users.

There are other things you can try of course but that's the most common one.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
Steve

ALT-TABBING also works.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Diocide
ok tried 19.8 with winamp open and firefox, on single player for like 5 mins, and I'm not getting green pauses anymore. The problem before was firefox and winamp but that stopped now. Ill tell my nephew about the windows classic theme, hopefully that works on like all games, because even fallout 1 and 2 have bad colors too on win 7. I'm going to have win xp and win 7 on different hard drives soon so it would be nice if classic theme fixed that.

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Also, it would be really cool if its possible, since your talking about your demo recorder. To add a feature that it records what you type in game too, so you can watch your old vids and see what you guys were talking about. If thats possible.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #12
Replicauk
Let me know how that goes. You can try so many things like terminating explorer.exe sometimes helps if that doesn't work and sometimes it just doesn't seem to happen in windowed mode except in full screen, right clicking in explorer on the game executable and disabling visual themes and giving it administrator rights as well might help for old games and sometimes compatibility mode or not can help with fiddling around with the different options as well as Google searching for forums for that game to see if anyone else has had such problems, sometimes it means changing the graphics mode in an ini file etc like a game config.

About eDuke32, the newly released version of EDuke32 that was released on March 11th, 2010 I know has some bugs and that is most likely the reason some people could not get it to work very well, the multiplayer is great and I like it very much the new Server/Client mode TerminX has done, but I have noticed it also has many bugs still in the new release that might make it hard to play on multiplayer.
But until they are fixed and new versions are released, always remember that all the old versions of eDuke32 still exist and work well over multiplayer,
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/old_versions/

About the demo recorder I created a while ago, I never thought of that much to add into it but I have made it compatible with the new xDuke, there are limits to what I can do since I am not an experienced programming as I would like to be. But that usually just means things would take longer to achieve ;-).
It was written in Delphi.

And for YANG, Turrican is the coder for YANG at the moment.
I tend not to get involved in the coding side of things there
Old 06-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #13
Commando Nukem

Yes, the stablist version Vinny and I found, and use to this day is this one:

http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/o...t_20081230.zip
Old 06-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #14
Replicauk
After installing Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate to test the new xDuke 19.8 I have noticed that none of the compatibility options or properties on the exe fixed the rainbow color issue that you get mostly on Windows 7 all the time.

There was only two fixes I noticed that worked.

One was the closure of explorer.exe which was done with my bat file also.

The other method that worked I found out today and I wrote a guide a very simple one to follow,
http://yang-online.com/methods/methods.htm

The other things I noticed was that if I was going to run the 19.7.1 xDuke I had to choose compatibility mode Windows XP SP2 or it would just crash on starting.

For 19.8 that is not needed but in the test it must be checked to be ran as an administrator if you are going to record a demo.

The old method with my bat file still works although I think it would be better if I wrote a program instead of a bat file that does it as many people might not get the bat file to work right. The .bat file method is here http://www.multi-players-zone.com/duke.htm#win7

However the top link provides a much easier one to follow.

And another issue I saw was that DN codes such as DNSTUFF does not work in Windows 7 so easily any more.

Second issue sometimes it seems to be a bit jumpy for the first 10 seconds when xDuke starts then it’s ok for the rest of the game.