Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
jojohamy
Unhappy The blackout zone?
Hey, I don't mean to be complaining, I know my last thread wasn't terribly popular, but for some reason I'm having like a "limited view distance" problem.

For some reason anything more then 15 "in game" feat away from duke is total blackness and only lights up when I get near it. Like duke is the only light in the world or something.

I tried messing with my video options but I can't figure out how to fix that.

Anybody else know what to do here?
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Mr.Fibbles

Re: The blackout zone?
That is part of the Build Engine. Distance is shaded incrementally.

In real life, you can't see clearly too far in the distance. A good chunk of the levels are actually at night or indoors. Visibility distance is not infinite in reality, don't expect it to be in a game either, especially at night.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
jojohamy
No, I totally get that outside and stuff, I mean like when I'm indoors with the lights on, I can't see across the room.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
SplatterHappy

Have you checked any other FPS games on your 360? Do you experience similar problems with say the XBLA version of Doom for example?
If you don't own Doom to check this, get the trial version (free). My thoughts are since Doom is also a 2.5d engine and uses sprites for enemies, that it might behave similarly, indicating a problem with your 360 hardware.

If it's only DN3D XBLA that this is occuring in, you might want to try deleting the game from your HD and re-download it from the Marketplace. Maybe something got hosed somehow in the download/install.

(If you didn't know, XBox Live tracks your purchases, so you can re-download a game on the same 360 without paying for it again, so that shouldn't be a problem.)

Worth a shot. Let us know what you figure out.
Last edited by SplatterHappy; 09-27-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Stevey Boy

Hmm I thought it seemed dark to me, I just turned the ingame brightness up a bit, but it still seems darker than the PC version to me.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
George Broussard

It's just distance shading (like fog, etc) and how some of the maps were created. Nothing you can do about it.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #7
SplatterHappy

Ah... I thought he was saying it was completely black 15 feet away, even when outside in full daylight.

The indoor darkness was intentional in some maps, I always thought.. sets the mood.

Nothing like walking into a dark area and seeing multiple red pig-eyes staring at you from the dark (right before they start blasting).

As Duke would say, "Ah, crap!"
Old 09-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #8
jagguar20

Your sig ftw.