Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Dopefish.com Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-10-2000, 02:30 AM   #1
Neuter
Smile
I am a member of a punk rock band that is currently named "Sump", but another band already has rights to the name. We were thinking of naming ourselves "Dopefish" and i was wondering what everyone's views on this idea are.

Does anyone know if we'd be breaching any copyright laws by doing this?

Old 04-10-2000, 03:57 PM   #2
Justin
You wouldn't break copyright laws by calling yourselves Dopefish, but you might break trademark laws (although the Dopefish doesn't have a TM or (R) after it in the game, so I don't think it's trademarked) Its likeness is copyrighted though, so you couldn't use pictures of the Dopefish.

It's probably best to just ask id, I doubt they'd mind something like that. Alternatively you could call yourselves the Dopey Fishes or something.

Old 04-11-2000, 06:33 AM   #3
FusionAddict
Question
But I thought apogee owned the dopefish, not id. I know it's in id games, but there are references in non id games.

Old 04-11-2000, 02:45 PM   #4
Justin
id owns the Dopefish and Commander Keen. Apogee just sells them. Apogee asked permission to make Dopefish references in their games (see the Apogee FAQ).

Back to the topic: if the Dopefish was trademarked, then id could sue Joe Siegler for registering the dopefish.com address. They haven't, so either the Dopefish isn't trademarked or id doesn't care (I vote for choice b).

Old 04-18-2000, 09:06 AM   #5
Pogo The Clown
Thumbs down
Even if id doesn't care, why make the band name Dopefish? I understand why you'd want to, but I personally think it's a bad idea. It could ruin a perfectly good name (if the band sucks, no offense intended), or if you get really violent.

------------------
I'd like to thank Romero, Raimi, and Hitchcock for making this all possible.