Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
ASR-sJBu
Ranked Match Question
Hi there,

I couldn't find a definite answer to this question so i figured would post a thread about it. I just wanted to know if it is possible to invite friends into ranked matches in Duke3D XBLA. I assume not due to achievement farming issues, but I am from Australia and get considerably better game latency when playing with Local players. It would be great to just be able to invite my group of friends into ranked matches so that our kills can actually contribute to achievements. Anybody know??
Old 09-18-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
George Broussard

Re: Ranked Match Question
Ranked matches are random and you have no control over them. The players and the maps are picked randomly. All you can do is choose "one on one" or to play against more than one player.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR-sJBu View Post
just be able to invite my group of friends
Those words there are by definition "Player match".

George, if I'm not mistaken, isn't that part of the MS spec? I don't think we chose that, did we?

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 09-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
ASR-sJBu
Thanks for the speedy reply. I think it is microsoft that enforces those standards. Some of the bigger titles are now allowing parties to join ranked matches though which is good (ie. Cod, Halo, Gow2), but yes looks like i'll be getting my 500 kills against randoms. Cheers for clearing that up
Old 09-22-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Retodon8

I'm pretty sure MS decides on this issue as well.
Also it seems they're sort of secretive on what exactly the rules are, so the only time something like this is ever cleared up, is when a developer mentions one of them.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
phyber
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASR-sJBu View Post
looks like i'll be getting my 500 kills against randoms.
Ranked matches are so annoying (well, they are when completing the game 100% is attached to them).

Xbox LIVE, come and play with your friends!
Ranked matches: You can't play with your friends if you really want to complete your games.
Awesome.

I do like how some developers seem to be realising this though. Halo 3 got a bunch of new achievements, you can get them in either Ranked or Social (which I believe is the Halo 3 equivalent of a player match). Gears of War 2 also does not attach multiplayer achievements to Ranked matches.

/salute these people for seeing sense
Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Crkfiend
I don't know if that MS spec or not... but in COD4, I can play a ranked match with my buddies (that I invite).... hell, they can even be on the opposite team.