Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Dopefish.com Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-28-1999, 09:42 PM   #1
Sith
Dopefish question
Does the DopeFish have any enemies like Duke has Dr. Proton? Just curious.

------------------
- Sith -
E-Mail: [email protected]
URL: http://sithspot.stals.com/
IRC: #3DRealms on GA.GamesNet.net
Quote:"If at first you don't succeed, call it version 1.0"

Old 05-28-1999, 10:00 PM   #2
Loser
Re: Dopefish question
I don't think so. Kinda hard to make enemies whil swimming, eating, burping and thinking "Swim, Swim, Hungry". I suppose the absolute authority on Dopefish info would be the Creator, Tom Hall. (Yes, he created the Dopefish, for those of you who are less enlightened.)
Old 05-29-1999, 06:43 AM   #3
keen he trys to eat him

Old 05-29-1999, 06:55 AM   #4
Keen certainly does not go eat giant fish on another planet! It's the DF that tries to eat Keen. (DUH!)

Old 05-29-1999, 07:44 AM   #5
Dr Cain
Rreal cool!
Old 05-30-1999, 10:40 PM   #6
Loser
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It's the DF that tries to eat Keen. (DUH!) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's what moron1 meant, but the poor grammar confused you.
Old 05-31-1999, 11:35 PM   #7
Ya your right me and my Terrible grammar, sorry

Old 06-01-1999, 04:54 PM   #8
X-human
Yeah, Keen is my guess

------------------
The One and Only -=[X-human]=-
gznews.games3.net/
www.3dportal.com/hideout/
clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/dopefish
"There was a prince and a princess living happily in a kingdom. But there was a jealous devil from the dark world, named 'X'. 'X' turned the prince and princess into two stone paddles." Story Text, Bad Omen

Old 06-02-1999, 11:54 PM   #9
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

No, not really. Since Dopefish is indestructible, he doesn't have any enemies.

Besides, remember.. His thought processes are just swim, swim, hungry. He only eats things, he doesn't see them as "enemies".

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
http://www.3drealms.com
http://3drealms.3dportal.com/ubb/faq.html (For info on using this UBB)

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 06-03-1999, 11:17 PM   #10
is the dopefish mentally retarded, or is he just a dope because from what i understand, he only can eat and swim. any thots on this?
oh, btw, i dont want any email about this... i dont care about PC this or thats not proper. they said it in the old days and im gonna say it now and im not takin any crap from anyone who has any thing to say about it so there... oh sorry i got a little carried a w a y there. ok bye!!!

------------------
well, well, well... who's yo daddy? mwuahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Old 06-04-1999, 05:01 PM   #11
Stingray
He only has thoughts of "swim, swim, hungry...". Some people may call that stupid, but it's really the inherent nature of most fish.

------------------
Andre C. Viens
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2407/
Old 06-04-1999, 05:10 PM   #12
bmilder
Speaking of Dopefish questions, if Dopefish is second dumbest, who is first? I know it's been posted before but I've forgotten.

------------------
Ben
www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/4689/
Old 06-04-1999, 05:43 PM   #13
Sith
New question (kinda): Could someone tell me what the well of wishes is and everything about it?

------------------
- Sith -

Old 06-04-1999, 07:04 PM   #14
Sith
Another D*Fish Question: where is the Dopefish's home planet? does it have a family?

------------------
- Sith -

Old 06-04-1999, 07:10 PM   #15
Uncle Duke

Er, the home planet being whatever the name of the planet that Keen 4 takes place on (I forget). The Well of Wishes is a level in Keen4, where Keen can only go once he has acquired a wetsuit. He swims around, helpless to defend himself, and there are little imp guys, and tiny fish that circle around and slow him down, as well as mines. But, there is also a HUGE fish (Dopefish, of course) that chases him around and tries to eat him.

That's all there is to it, really. Just the only level Dopefish ever appeared in as an actual character and not an easter egg or cameo.

------------------
Uncle Duke
[email protected]
Visit HodgePodge International:
pages.prodigy.com/hodgepodge

Old 06-05-1999, 12:48 AM   #16
The first dumbest creature in the universe is... DOH! I forgot, but I think it's in the Apogee FAQ (which is on my other hard drive). I remember that it thinks that when you can't see it, it can't see you.

Old 06-05-1999, 03:46 PM   #17
Draco
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Speaking of Dopefish questions, if Dopefish is second dumbest, who is first? I know it's been posted before but I've forgotten.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THE BUGBLATTER BEAST OF THRALL!!!
So stupid it thinks if you can't see it, he can't see you. Putting a cloth over your head gets past him.

Duh...

------------------
Draco - Man of Dishonor
Visit Draco's Homezone at
www.come.to/Lord_Draco/
Old 06-05-1999, 07:47 PM   #18
Uncle Duke

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal. And he is incredibly stupid, but very ravenous nonetheless.

------------------
Uncle Duke
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Uncle Duke (edited 06-05-99).]
Old 06-07-1999, 01:34 PM   #19
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

And the Bugblatter beast thing is on the Dopefish page, too. <sigh>

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment

Old 06-07-1999, 03:54 PM   #20
Uncle Duke

Wow, really? I hadn't noticed . . . I've only read through all of the Dopefish page a couple times.

------------------
Uncle Duke
[email protected]

Old 06-07-1999, 05:17 PM   #21
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Wow, really? I hadn't noticed . . . I've only read through all of the Dopefish page a couple times.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's like right at the top in the first couple of paragraphs. Been there forever.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment

Old 06-07-1999, 05:30 PM   #22
Uncle Duke

Sorry, then. I'm not exactly up on my Dopefishy-ness, lately. (Been there forever, yeah, yeah, but I'm a busy guy.)

------------------
Uncle Duke
[email protected]

Old 06-07-1999, 05:49 PM   #23
X-human
Yeah, it's so stupid it thinks if you can't see it, it can't see you. That idea seems to confuse ppl. So people are the 3rd stupidist, becuase when you say something weird like "moo" in a conversation they get side tracked and stop all thought processes to read in this new fact. (That'll take a while) So the best way to answer a stupid question is to give a stupid answer, then walk away, leaving your questioner mistified and bewildered. "Fnord" or "Why not?" work well.

------------------
The One and Only -=[X-human]=-
gznews.games3.net/
www.3dportal.com/hideout/
clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/dopefish
"There was a prince and a princess living happily in a kingdom. But there was a jealous devil from the dark world, named 'X'. 'X' turned the prince and princess into two stone paddles." Story Text, Bad Omen

Old 06-16-1999, 10:40 PM   #24
How does one get through the Well of Wishes in hard mode? I've tried and tried and tried and tried, but I still can't do it!!! HELP!!!!

Old 06-17-1999, 04:07 PM   #25
Stingray
You gotta use those schoolfish to your advantage. Try to get a bunch to follow you, and then venture out. Chances are, the Dopefish will eat the fish before he eats you.

------------------
Andre C. Viens
Stingray's House
Old 06-17-1999, 04:52 PM   #26
Scotty

There's a few different tricks I used. The first thing to do is get a good school of Schoolfish to follow you, as Stingray suggested. If a Dopefish comes out of the woodwork, just put on a good burst of speed to string the school out, and the Dopefish will bite one of them.

If there's a Dopefish ahead of me blocking the way I have to go, and a Schoolfish between me and him, I try to swim right out and draw the Dopefish to me, and hope he gets the Schoolfish before the Schoolfish gets to me. If the Schoolfish gets to me first, I wait as long as I can before darting back the other way, and get him to bite, then quickly swim through him while he's burping.

The trickiest part is near the end, where there's 3 or 4 of them in a row, and no place to rest. Usually I've got a pretty good school following me by now. I try to swim as fast as I can across the bottom, then up, then back across the other way, and hope the Dopefish bites a Schoolfish. Other times I cut across the middle, then down, then back across. The key is to make as many lateral and vertical moves as possible. This will string out the Schoolfish, and make the Dopefish keep changing directions. Once the Dopefish bites, swim right through him, so that there'll be another Schoolfish right under him when he's done burping. If you can get him to bite twice, it buys you some time to get past the next one. The only way I've ever finished this level on Hard is to make the last dash all at once, and it usually takes several attempts.