Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-24-2003, 05:33 PM   #1
Sinister
The Pain in obtaining Max Payne
Hey guys,

I felt really sad when Max Payne was released. I knew my computer was too slow to run it, and wasn't ashamed to admit it. Ok, well, a little...

Anyway, when I learned that they had a version of Max Payne for the XBOX, I was downright thrilled! And what's even better, it's only $29.36 canadian!

I set out on the 21st by bike on the hour and a half ride to our local Wal Mart to pick up a copy, and on the way it began to drizzle. OK, I can handle this.

Once I get there, and try to purchase the store's ONLY COPY at the time, the big fat bald guy behind the counter asks me what year I was born. I tell him "'86" and he asks what month, so I say January. That's no problem, I am 17 and you have to be 17 to buy an M rated game. Anyway, fatty ( [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) then asks for my ID? WTFx2. First of all, great timing, I just lost my wallet the day before, and second of all, for those of you who have seen my picture, I could easily be passed for a 25 year old!

Anyway, I leave the store, and am just about to head home when I remembered that I had a school card in my pocket, I tried showing him that, but he said it wouldn't do. Finally, he gave in and sold me the game. But when he asked for my debit card, it said "Inadequate funds"............................ WTF???

Come to find out, all of last weeks work never got counted on my paycheque! So anyway, I go home (yes, an hour and a half all the way back) and get the appropriate ammount in cash. (By the way, my debit account was $1.69 short.)

Then I head allll the way back to Wal Mart, by this time, it was a steady downpour.

When I get there, there was a different person working at the counter, so to cut a long story short: I finally convinced this person to sell me the game after I had no choice but to start shouting out how Wal Mart's service sucked and Future Shop's was much better at all the customers...

Now I am home, 3 days later, on Part 1 chapter 7 (I believe) called Police Brutality. And I must say, this game is pretty cool. (Except for this level I am on, I've been stuck here for 3 days. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Anyway, enough ranting. Lesson learned:

- Never, EVER shop at Wal Mart.
- Never, EVER shop at Future Shop either, it's just as bad. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 09:31 PM   #2
Oso
Re: The Pain in obtaining Max Payne
Nice story.....

[TROLL]

but PS2 > XBOX

[/TROLL]
Old 03-24-2003, 09:37 PM   #3
Wamplet

If its any consolation Sinister, i was gonna reinstall Max Payne, but i cant find the damn cd now. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
"By god... Wamp has a point." -Damien_Azreal
Old 03-24-2003, 09:41 PM   #4
ShadyC
Well that was interesting, let me tell you my story of a week ago or so.
I decided I would get Max Payne for the computer....I went to the nearest Wal-Mart....no luck...I went to the next nearest Wal-mart...NO LUCK! By now I was pissed and 45 minutes from home...I drove for about another 15 minutes and found ANOTHER WAL-MART, I get there, my girlfriend yelling at me for going this far to spend $20 on a game, I walk into the electronics department to see that there is 2 left...this is funny becuase well you'll understand in a bit...I grab a copy and head to the front desk, becuase the electronics salesman is busy. I go up to a girl looking to be about 16 or maybe even 15, hand her the game and whatnot. IT comes up asking if I'm 17, I told her no, my birthday was in a couple days, I was telling the truth, 3 to be exact. My girlfriend was 17, but with no ID....STILL she told me to get an ID, I went out to the car and ran back with my driver's license, saying I was still 3 days too young.....I bitched, then asked if I could get the next person I saw to buy the game for me, she said no, so I grabbed the game and dropped it on the floor, then walked back to the electronics section....I grabbed the next copy and decided to try this cashier...I handed him the copy and a $20 bill, he looked at me, entered yes to if I was 17 and handed me my game, I walked out.....oh I stopped and whipped out the game infront of the cashier while smiling and saying....Bitch, I get what I want.....this all happened about a week and a half ago....I still laugh about it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2003, 10:34 PM   #5
Wamplet

i just found my Max Payne CD after spending 2 days looking for the damned thing.

Off to install and play! \o
Old 03-24-2003, 11:16 PM   #6
The Baskinator

My story of obtaining Max Payne is kind of boring. I just walked into Babbages and gave them fifty dollars. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"Friends? These are my only friends! Grown up nerds, like Gore Vidal, and even he's kissed more boys than I ever will.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:28 PM   #7
Wamplet

Correction. I just found my Max Payne Case. No Cd inside. GRRRRRRRR [img]graemlins/tinyted.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tinyted.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tinyted.gif[/img]

If i cant find it by tomorrow, i am gonna just go buy another one when i go pick up another game later on this week.
Old 03-26-2003, 02:47 AM   #8
The Baskinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Wamplet:
Correction. I just found my Max Payne Case. No Cd inside. GRRRRRRRR

If i cant find it by tomorrow, i am gonna just go buy another one when i go pick up another game later on this week.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When not being played, my Max Payne CD is always in its case and the case is always inside a steel vault with all of my other precious objects. It's the only way to truly protect it. [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/love.gif[/img]

But jokes aside, I discovered the other day that somebody has spilled a soft drink of some kind on my Max DVD case. Now it's all sticky. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

"Friends? These are my only friends! Grown up nerds, like Gore Vidal, and even he's kissed more boys than I ever will.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:29 AM   #9
biXen
I managed to get my cd quite dusy the first few months, so I've done something less legal to keep me from using it that much. And I should really get some plastic on that box, it's the pride of my top shelf, with the gold autographs and all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-26-2003, 02:10 PM   #10
Wamplet

i found the CD last night finally. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
It managed to fall in a stack of papers near a desk in a room i never use. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Damn, for a second there, it reminded me of playing Duke Nukem and i was looking for a keycard [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2003, 01:15 PM   #11
Sinister
Yeah, Max Payne truly is a sweet game. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-07-2003, 05:04 PM   #12
Maniac536
Okay, how I got the game.

I worked a day for my father the summer it was released. Got fifty dollars pay, went to K-Mart to spend the fifty dollars on the game.

The girl behind the cashier did not ask me my age, although I did notice a sticker on her cashier saying "we card for 'parental advisory' sticker music" so I pointed at the sticker and said to her "You're going to lose a lot of money over that."

She didn't even know that was a policy, she was totally clueless. I'm certain that's a good thing btw.

Btw, she looked like she was 17 or something, really it was 2 years ago I don't remember.

-Maniac

Old 04-10-2003, 01:33 PM   #13
Chimera

I got my copy of MP from a race course. No kidding.

...hmm well a computer fair at a Dunstall Park, paid £20 which was a very good price for it. Got Black & White at the same time too. No trouble finding it either, infact the sales guy even said what a good choice I'd made and that MP was a kickass game (or words to that effect [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

You know, I must have had the game without playing it for about 6 months, because for some idiotic reason I couldn't figure out that you had to drive the train through the barrier at Roscoe Street [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

ps. Selling games to underagers is no laughing matter, here at least the authorities will personally prosecute the salesperson that sold you the game rather than the shop which you bought it from. Its in the salepersons own interests to not sell a game to you even if you are nearly the right age.