Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne > Max Payne Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Maddieman

Exclamation Filefront closing - along with all of the mphq mods :(
Quote:
We regret to inform you that we are forced to indefinitely suspend the FileFront site operations on March 30, 2009. If you have uploaded files, images or posted blogs, or if you would like to download some of your favorite files, please take this opportunity to download them before March 30th when the site will be suspended.
Apparently there's still time (at time of posting), but you'd better get a move on if you want to download your favourites.

http://browse.files.filefront.com/Ma...owsefiles.html (most of them are in the misc section)

My stuff is safely backed up, along with a lot of my favourites from back in the day, but I can't make any guarantees, so get moving. Also, moddb uses filefront as its primary file storage site, so don't assume that just because it's on moddb it's safe.

I'm quite gutted -- there are loads of hidden gems and nostalgic mods on there.

http://www.paynereactor.com/modifica...modsmp1-0f.htm
http://www.paynereactor.com/modifica...modsmp1-gn.htm
http://www.paynereactor.com/modifica...modsmp1-oz.htm

^Note: If the download link doesn't work (i.e. takes you to the filefront homepage), remove the semi-colon ; from the download url.
Last edited by Maddieman; 03-31-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Sayantan

Re: Filefront closing - along with all of the mphq mods :(
OMG ..... George Michael Mod ..... BWAHAHAHA!

About Filefront, yeah it's really sad.
I'll try downloading a few of those and keep a backup in my external hard drive.

Edit: Apparently I read he was gay after I made that stupid mod. What an unfortunate event. Nostalgia indeed, for bad or for good.

Edit: And Polar Payne FTW!
Last edited by Sayantan; 03-31-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #3
ADM

Quick question about X Demo:

Quote:
It was also publicly slammed by mixuk, one of Remedy's gameplay mapper
What happened? I missed that whole debacle :P
Old 04-01-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
Maddieman

Ignorance is bliss Sayantan.

ADM, it was nothing really - he just pointed out a few gameplay things that could have been better.

EDIT: Dunno what's going on with Filefront -- the files are still up, and the farewell messages has gone. I still wouldn't leave it to chance though.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:13 AM   #5
Sayantan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddieman View Post
Ignorance is bliss Sayantan.
Rightly put.

Quote:
ADM, it was nothing really - he just pointed out a few gameplay things that could have been better.
Yeah, like one of those snipers at the end of the hallway shooting at you and you can't do anything about it.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:48 AM   #6
Maddieman

Smirk Re: Filefront closing - along with all of the mphq mods :(
What always did it for me was the mod description, which is comically oblivious to the fact that the guys at maxpaynehq would have strung you up, had they seen it. Speaking of which, the other curiosity worth checking out is the 'Halo is a f..' mod.

Anyway, I haven't tested them all yet, but I think I've saved most, if not all, of the major level-based mods. When I have some time, I'll write a list of the ones I've got.

Quote:
Yeah, like one of those snipers at the end of the hallway shooting at you and you can't do anything about it.
I remember him pointing that out. He said that it was fun to snipe at enemies, but frustrating to get sniped at (because of one-hit kills). So when it came to MTA he was always saying "No snipers!" and I was always trying to put them in to annoy him (armed with hopelessly useless sniping weapons like berettas and shotguns).
Last edited by Maddieman; 04-01-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
Sayantan

Thought it's fun if both the player and the enemy is having snipers, they are maintaining quite much of a distance and lastly the enemies taking slightly more time to fire each shots.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
Maddieman

Ooo Re: Filefront closing - along with all of the mphq mods :(
Quote:
EDIT: Dunno what's going on with Filefront -- the files are still up, and the farewell messages has gone. I still wouldn't leave it to chance though.
You know... I just had this horrible thought...

....That was an April fools joke wasn't it?

How in the HELL did I fall for that!?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

That's what I'm thinking... was it an April Fools joke?

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Sayantan

Damn ... is it??
Old 04-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #11
Mariamus

hahaha!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
johndough

It was posted on the 26th, it couldn't be a joke.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

The message was posted on the 26th saying the site would go down on the 30/31. Right before April 1st.

The site is still up, they have added new files to it. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a joke.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 04-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Maddieman

Thumbs up Re: Filefront closing - along with all of the mphq mods :(
Seemed very likely to be an elaborate joke, but it turns out it wasn't.

http://welcome.filefront.com/

Quote:
FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to shut down FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront shutting down was NOT an early April Fool's joke and Ziff Davis Media had every intention of shutting down FileFront by the end of March.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER shut down FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!
At any rate, I managed to back up over 2gigs worth of max payne mods; so had it gone down, all would not have been lost.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
KO Gilligan

Man that's great news.

I actually backed up 441 files last week from filefront

Dang Ziff Davis. They managed to get me worked up over the loss of our CGW demo disk all over again... Now I wish I had the letter, it went something like this

Sorry dear subscriber (of like 8 years)
We will no longer be able to provide the demo disk. But you can download stuff from FileFront

They shut down Computer Gaming World shortly thereafter
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
moggimus

CGW was a good mag. I have a sub to PC Gamer now and the thing has like 30 pages of actual content. I remember the DNF issue (damn, 12 years ago?) and the thing was like 300 pages at least.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 AM   #17
HalloweenIV

I think that your find that even if Filefront had closed down that most if not all of the MP 1 & 2 mods, maps & tool's are listed over on the L4Y site. I know I uploaded most of the old stuff that's on there a few years back (especially in the case of MP1).

I downloaded most of the stuff form sites that have long since closed down, & it's a good job I did as a lot of the stuff would have long been lost, & it would have been a shame to have lost such great work.

I just hope that the original makers didn't mind me uploading their stuff to L4Y for all of the MP comunity to continue to enjoy.

Note: I did not put my name to any of the uploads, & used the original modders names when avalible........

L4Y links for MP 1 & 2:

http://maxpayne.levels4you.com/
http://maxpayne2.levels4you.com/
Last edited by HalloweenIV; 04-11-2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
Sayantan

Hey that's a nice job Halloween. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
MrUniq
I remade X-demo in my mod..and I kinda began working on a spirtual sequel to it. But I used HL2 textures...but given the low visability I prob wouldn't get into trouble. I guess I could always email valve.