Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Prey
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
lundberg500
Prey will not load, please help.
I just bought Prey and cannot get this game to load at all. I am thinking this has something to do with the fact that it is an OpenGL game. I have no problems running all my D3D games. I cannot get Prey to load. I updated it to version 1.4 and when I click the shortcut icon it just crashes and asks me if I want to send the error report to Microsoft. I am on windows XP SP2, GTX 260 video card, using nvidia 178.24 drivers.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
lundberg500
Re: Prey will not load, please help.
I am the only person who has ever had this issue? I guess I will have to uninstall the game and throw it away. It's a good thing that I only paid about $8.00 for it.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
ZaphodB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundberg500 View Post
I am the only person who has ever had this issue? I guess I will have to uninstall the game and throw it away. It's a good thing that I only paid about $8.00 for it.
What immense patience you have. You do realize posting your DirectX Diag TXT file would be of great help. Your video drivers seem way out of date also, considering the current WHQL drivers are version 190.38. Please make sure you have ALL of your drivers updated (mainboard/vid/sound/etc) and then repost your directX diag TXT if it still doesn't work, then someone may be able to help you. Just saying "it doesn't work" with almost NO info isn't going to get you help from anyone.

You can also check :
http://www.prey.com/support/
http://www.3drealms.com/prey/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Last edited by ZaphodB; 07-25-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
lundberg500
Problem solved! I switched to the 186.18 nvidia drivers and Prey is working now! That's strange that the 178.24 drivers would not work with Prey. The 186.18 drivers seem real stable in every one of my other games too.
Last edited by lundberg500; 07-25-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
Yatta

Also note that there are various version of older Nvidia drivers that don't work with Doom 3 engine games, because the company blocked it after ATI leaked the Doom 3 alpha years ago.

Glad you solved it though!