Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Hardware Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
FullMetalJacket
Laptop keeps shutting off
I have an Asus G73 gaming laptop (Win7, 64 bit, SP1) that I purchased back in 2010. I unplugged it the last time I shut it down, since I always read that it's bad to keep your laptop plugged in all the time.

I turned it on today and started playing Mass Effect 3, having forgotten that the laptop was still unplugged and was just running off the battery. After noticing that ME3's performance was much worse than usual, I plugged the laptop back into the AC adapter, and the laptop immediately turned off and would not turn back on.

I unplugged it, removed the AC adapter from the wall, removed the battery, and held down the power button for a full minute. Plugged it back in, kept the battery out, and was able to turn it on--it booted, but after a few minutes of routine web surfing, it shut down by itself. I put the battery back in and received the orange light indicating that the battery was being recharged, then I booted the laptop, and once again it shut down on its own after a few minutes.

Is this a static discharge of some type that hasn't quite dissipated yet, or have I fried something beyond repair?

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 06-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
FullMetalJacket
Re: Laptop keeps shutting off
Think I figured it out-- bad battery. I've been keeping the battery out of the laptop and just running it off the AC adapter, and it's been working just fine! The bad battery was either causing too much heat or somehow shorted out and made the laptop think it wasn't receiving any power at all.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 07-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
KO Gilligan

Re: Laptop keeps shutting off
it definitely sounded power related - you had said you ran it without the battery and it shut down again ... I'm thinking it was just very hot - nothing to do with "thinking it wasn't getting power" The machine has temp safeguards, and you heated it up. You shouldn't use the battery if you have a place to plug it in - and take the battery out when you're using the AC if you do get a new battery. You'll get double the life out of it and your laptop will run cooler..
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 07-03-2013 at 06:29 PM.