Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > General Messages > 3DR Forums Greatest Hits
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 08-31-1999, 10:58 AM   #1
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Build games
Since no one took it upon themselves to look in the old news, I did it myself. Here's the list of Build games (from an Aug 12, 1998 update about the release of Redneck Deer Hunting):

Aug 12 1998:

This brings the number of games released that use the Build engine to eleven. We ourselves have released two games using the Build engine, those being Duke Nukem 3D & Shadow Warrior. The other games that use Build are TekWar, Witchaven, Witchaven II: Blood Vengeance, Blood, Powerslave, Redneck Rampage, Redneck Rampage Rides Again, & NAM.

Later, there was Extreme Paintbrawl, but that's it.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
Click here for info on how to use this UBB
---
"You're about as useless as JPGs to Hellen Keller" - Weird Al, 1999

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 08-31-1999, 03:42 PM   #2
CONAN

Re: Build games
WW2GI. remember, the thing that was supposed to get a patch for Duke until GB said no way?

------------------
www.dukeworld.com/warfaretc
Old 08-31-1999, 05:40 PM   #3
Superczar

Well, I would like to try these other games, but everbody says they blow big time... I especially am interested in trying WWIIGI and NAM and Paintbrawl. I don't wanna buy them tho....

------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens,
Who blind your eyes and steal your dreams,
It's Heaven and Hell...

Old 08-31-1999, 07:52 PM   #4
Usurper

I bought Tekwar and the Witchhaven 1&2 disk. Tekwar sucked beyond sucking. I have never played a Duke TC that wasn't better than Tekwar. Hell, I'd rather play pong. Witchhaven wasn't much better, but at least the levels occasionally had interesting design. A few enemies were cool looking, but most were badly animated and badly ... drawn I guess. They look like they were made by digitizing monsters sculpted from dinner leftovers. You'll never beat it though, because most of the weapons are melee and the enemies either hit you as soon as you get in range or shoot you from afar. Unlike hexen, where you could actually hit and evade with melee weapons.

I played Nam, and it was okay, but not much better than Platoon (except that the weapons were nicely done imho). I was going to buy WW2GI, but I'm boycotting it after that Saettler fiasco.

------------------
Usurper
------------------------------------------------------
DN3D R.T.C.M. Associates
[email protected]

"And if we survive 'til two thousand and five,
I hope you're exceedingly thin
For if you are stout you will have to breathe out
While the people around you breathe in"
--Pink Floyd, "Point Me At The Sky"
Old 09-01-1999, 05:19 AM   #5
JonoF

Thankyou Joe! See, someone really does care about us. I didn't realise the news item was as far back as 1998 - I guess I didn't look far enough. It's quite a shame that most of the games on that list sucked so badly - Redneck Rampage was probably the best attempt.

Thanks Joe

JonoF
Old 09-01-1999, 06:40 PM   #6
Super Fudd

Witchaven II is cool, particularly for death match. In converted some of the levels to DN3d so I could play them against my friends at work. (No, I no longer have them,)

BUILDon
Don

------------------
Smarter than a speeding bullet, faster than a tall building...
Old 09-03-1999, 12:18 AM   #7
JonoF

I know of another game (using Build engine) called "Legends Of The 75 Paladins". I have it on a demo collection CD. It's a Japanese game and it was extremely lame. You know of this one Joe? They were even nice enough to include screenshots of Raptor, Hocus Pocus and a couple of other Apogee games on billboards in the game.

JonoF

[This message has been edited by JonoF (edited 09-03-1999).]
Old 09-03-1999, 10:15 AM   #8
Usurper

JonoF, any chance you could check into the demo's text document and see what the homepage or download site for that demo is? I make it a point to check into all build games, whether they made it to the final release or not. That reminds me, there's a demo of a build game that was never finished called Fate by the same company that made Tekwar and the Witchhaven games (capstone or intracorp I think). Fate was probably their best attempt at a build game, so it's a shame it was never finished.

------------------
Usurper
DN3D R.T.C.M. Associates
[email protected]

Old 09-04-1999, 07:59 PM   #9
JonoF

Usurper:

The game didn't have a Readme.txt or similar file but I know that it was done by Accend Inc. back in 1994. It doesn't have a website listed anywhere in the game but if you like I can ZIP it and send it to you through email (it'll be a big email though). Actually: even better idea. I can ZIP it and put it on my site and you can grab it from there (I hope Accend don't mind). Let me know which way you want to go (email [email protected] if you like).

Do you know where I can find that Fate game to have a look?

Cheers

Jonathon
Old 09-05-1999, 12:03 PM   #10
Usurper

Fate can be downloaded from this page:
http://www.3dgamers.com/3daction/00archives/fate/

It'd probably be better to put it on the website if possible, as I'm using either hotmail or my school's email address, and they both have limits on file size. That is if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.

------------------
Usurper
DN3D R.T.C.M. Associates
[email protected]

Old 09-06-1999, 01:17 AM   #11
JonoF

Thanks for that link. Uploading it (Legends of 75...) now. You can grab it from http://home.primus.com.au/jono_f/75demo.zip . Good luck at reading Japanese!

UPDATE: I fixed the link above.

Jonathon

[This message has been edited by JonoF (edited 09-07-1999).]
Old 09-07-1999, 04:06 AM   #12
JonoF

Fate looked like it had the makings of a respectable game but, like most of the Build games that Capstone and Intracorp did, it lacked the completeness and professionalism that Duke and SW had for example. The graphics looked like scans that were downsampled to the game palette using Neopaint or something.

JonoF
Old 09-07-1999, 04:57 AM   #13
Usurper

Thanks for fixing the link. I was going to say something about it before, but I read it within an hour or so of when you posted and figured you hadn't uploaded. Looked all over for the company's site. Corv found it, but they were totally down when we looked there the next day. Nothing on any search engine.

I agree completely about Fate. It was a huge improvement over Capstone's other games though. I could actually control the player without saying "uggh! I move like a painfully-constipated short-legged sumo wrestler!" Well, maybe not those exact words, but it was fun putting the image in everyone's head.

------------------
Usurper
DN3D R.T.C.M. Associates
[email protected]

Old 09-08-1999, 04:19 AM   #14
JonoF

It's good to know that others think the same way I do Now to download Powerslave...

JonoF
Old 09-10-1999, 07:43 PM   #15
JonoF

Joe, do you recall anything about this "Legends Of The 75 Paladins" game? Like whether anybody actually released it?

JonoF
Old 09-11-1999, 05:11 PM   #16
JonoF

I much like Powerslave! I think I recall reading somewhere that Apogee started writing it but sold it to another company - maybe that's why it appealed to me. It has that "feel" about it. Very cool.

JonoF
Old 09-11-1999, 08:13 PM   #17
Thysis

Wow, fate kicks ass! Mouse menu support for inventory items in the build engine! And very cool looking enemies!

Too bad it wasn't finished.
Old 09-23-1999, 02:21 AM   #18
Usurper

http://members.xoom.com/dukertcm/Bui...Bld_Games).htm
Old 09-28-1999, 06:06 PM   #19
JonoF

If anyone still wants "Legend of the Seven Paladins" you'd better get it soon because I'm taking it off my webspace.

JonoF
Old 09-29-1999, 03:03 AM   #20
JonoF

On second thoughts, I might just leave it there for my website.

JonoF
Old 09-29-1999, 10:37 AM   #21
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

75 Paladins is a game that was abandonded, I'm not sure it's legal for you to have that.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---
"I bent my Wookie!" - Ralph Wiggum

Old 09-29-1999, 10:42 AM   #22
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

I asked Scott about the Paladins game, and he told me this..

We had a deal with an Asian company to produce a game, but the deal was never actually signed and delivered. However, they were working on the game anyway, and released (to our knowledge) only a demo. Since it was never widely available over here in the states, we never legally pursued them over it.

The short of it is that you can have that file, but we don't consider it a "game" as it never was finished, and never went anywhere.

Scott tells me they were also working on a second game with the Build engine, but to his knowledge it never even reached demo form, so there's nothing to find on it. He doesn't even remember the name of the game or what it was about.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---

Old 09-29-1999, 10:54 AM   #23
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Usurper, what can you tell me about this "Eradicator" that's on the list? I have reason to doubt it's really a Build game.

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---

Old 09-29-1999, 05:48 PM   #24
Lon Matero
Thanks guys for uncovering a lost game: Legends Of The 75 Paladins

It looks like this is our earliest look at a BUILD Engine game. The EXE is dated 9/22/94, even older than LameDuke!

I have been having some trouble running it though. Here is what I tried 75 Paladins on:

- P166, RIVA 128, SB Live, Win98SE
- 486DX2-66, Cirrus Logic ISA, 8-Bit Sound, DOS

On the P166, the game drops out after the first intro screen with all the Chinese writing(I wonder what it says anyway?) in both Win98 and DOS Mode.

The 486 gets past the first screen and plays MIDI, but nothing is displayed on the screen. It seems the game works except you cannot see anything. Any ideas?

Plus, it does not seem that the game reads the .PIF file created by SETUP. The game still asks for a SET BLASTER variable even after None is selected in setup. Doing a setting up a SET BLASTER is a work around for this problem.

I'll keep trying on some different computers to see if I have any luck.

Has anyone else successfully played 75 Paladins? If you have been able to, maybe post a few screenshots so everyone could see this lost game.

Thanks!
Lon Matero
Old 09-29-1999, 10:24 PM   #25
Heres the link to the Erad Demo: http://www.3dgamers.com/3daction/00archives/eradicator/ I think I have a more updated one, but I'm not to worried about it.

[This message has been edited by Spinal_Job (edited 09-29-1999).]

Old 09-29-1999, 10:28 PM   #26
Wasn't Cybermage: Darklight Awakening made with the build engine? Or something close to it?

[This message has been edited by Spinal_Job (edited 09-29-1999).]

Old 09-29-1999, 10:39 PM   #27
Can you still buy these old build games?

Old 09-29-1999, 11:36 PM   #28
Usurper

Well, it's Corv's list, I just took his word for it. I imagine he read it somewhere. I'll look into it.
Old 09-29-1999, 11:51 PM   #29
Eradicator sounds interesting, I'll download it when I come home
btw.. that link to Fast FTPSearch shouldn't be to NTNU anymore. Fast was sold to Lycos some months ago.

Old 09-30-1999, 04:31 AM   #30
Usurper

To run the paladins game you have to make sure none of the files are read-only. Took me forever to figure that out too.

------------------
Usurper
DN3D R.T.C.M. Associates
http://members.xoom.com/dukertcm
[email protected]

"The news is my whore, and the truth is her pimp!" --Joel Goddard
Old 09-30-1999, 06:56 AM   #31
When I ran it, I had to turn off the sound as it made it freeze when I went to the Select levle screen, so once I turned sound off it worked fine, oh and I also had to make the files all not read only

The game was buggy and the ninja's kept killing me, and the weapons were hard to choose and the movement was way off, I can understand how this game might be the earliest build game.

------------------
Emerger

Old 09-30-1999, 08:30 PM   #32
JonoF

Joe, I bought a demo CD many years back and 75 Paladins was on it. If it's not legal to distribute it then I'll take it off my webserver immediately.

I should have mentioned that Legend of the 75 Paladins is very picky.

It has a problem with some new soundcards and how they set the BLASTER variable. If you have a card like an AWE32/64/Live then you will have an extra variable on your BLASTER line like E620. You need to redefine the BLASTER line to get rid of the E620 part. If you start a DOS window, type SET and then reset your BLASTER line leaving out the E620 part then the game will start. I think that will fix your problem Lon Matero. It fixed it for me.

Example:
On my PC (AWE64 soundcard) my BLASTER line is like this:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 E620

To get the game to run I need to change it to:

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6

Then the game will start fine.

It will also bork if the files are read-only. I didn't realise that the read-only attribute was set when I zipped it and put it on my webspace. Sorry about that. I'd better fix it if it's OK for me to have the game on my server.

Emerger, the game is very finicky on many PC's. It runs very fast and crashes a lot on my P166 but I can play it perfectly all the way through on our 586. I think it has an allergic reaction to fast PC's and new hardware.

Hope this helps guys,

JonoF

[This message has been edited by JonoF (edited 09-30-1999).]
Old 09-30-1999, 10:20 PM   #33
When I run 75, it shows the usual starting stuff & then just dumps me to a subway map. The only controls are running, strafing, & moving. Is this normal?

---
Councilor1
"An apple a day will keep the doctor away, but it'll also make you feel limy."
-- Gibberish question, You Don't Know Jack

Old 10-01-1999, 12:29 AM   #34
JonoF

Yeah, that's right. That's the level where you pick you SFX and music volume, your character (there's 7 to choose from) and the difficulty level. The rest of the game follows that.

JonoF
Old 10-01-1999, 04:37 AM   #35
CONAN

Sorta like Quake? With that room when you chose the skill level?

------------------

Wanna go for a ride?
Old 10-01-1999, 04:44 PM   #36
CONAN

It must suck pretty bad

------------------

Wanna go for a ride?
Old 10-01-1999, 07:40 PM   #37
JonoF

CONAN: Yeah, just like that.

Joe: So it's OK with you guys for me to keep that 'demo' on my site for people to download?

JonoF

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/jonathon_f

Old 10-01-1999, 07:44 PM   #38
JonoF

Guys, I just uploaded my Build games pages to my website. It has screenshots of Legends of the 7 Paladins for those of you who can't get the game to run. Jump to http://members.xoom.com/jonathon_f/buildgames.htm . Enjoy.

JonoF

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/jonathon_f

Old 10-01-1999, 11:18 PM   #39
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Well, Scott's opinion on the Paladins game is "we don't care".

------------------
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Entertainment
---

Old 10-12-1999, 12:59 AM   #40
Corv
Well since eradicator isn't a bld game, I just recently found a level editor for it...
If you want it e-me and i'll send asap.