Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-12-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
DudeFromCanada
Partial Screen Rendering
A year ago (seem so long now) when Max Payne first came out, I bought Max Payne for 69.99 (Canadian) (still waiting for $10 rebate), took it home with great enthusiasm, installed it and waited. This was my first game that I bought since ROTT, when my 486 was no longer able to keep up with the games (ROTT is a great game!). Got to the title screen, clicked tutorial, and was very disappointed when all that I say was a black screen with a little square in the middle. So much for history.
It seems that my computer only renders part of the outside scenes. Before you get thinking, “Oh this guy knows nothin about hardware” let me tell you my system.
Year 2000 (3 years old)
Windows ME
Pentium III 550mhz
Diamond Multimedia Stealth III w/ 32mb of Graphics memory video card (on a AGP)
DirectX 9 installed (same problem with DX8)
Full install
Patched up to 1.5 (or latest, whatever)
This is more than the minimum requirements. I don’t believe that the error is hardware, because it is not problems with textures. I’ve run Max Payne on my laptop that has only 8mb ATI Rage Mobility, and some textures don’t load with it. However on my PC, the parts that aren’t rendered are filled with the sky background, not black. Did I mention that this problem only happens in outside levels. I’ve tried playing with everything at minimum, and it made no difference, as does the resolution. It doesn’t render an entire wall, it only renders part of walls. Maybe I should just by a new graphics card.

BTW: I have the latest graphics drivers, but it seems that Diamond Multimedia merged, split, or did something else stupid so they no longer exist, and my card is no longer supported.

Old 04-12-2003, 03:31 PM   #2
Oso
Re: Partial Screen Rendering
hmm you have an AGP slot, which is good, go get a 128mb card on ebay, only spent $70 on mine, or pay $200 in store, but i dont thinik 32mb cuts the cake