Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Modifications
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM   #41
Thriller

Re: The future of this forum...
Just dropping in to add two things:

1) Joe has (so far) said he wants these forums to stay. Other than him, I guess weŽre atleast 1000 or so frequent users that wants the same. So, if theres a chance to keep this forum alive, IŽd say lets do it. In other words, I dont think we should actually "move" to duke4 before its over.

2) Since I dont want to spam the other threads: Great work to EVERYONE working on the duke3d sourcecode.

EDIT: The more sober bit of my drunkness just realized a bit of it has been coverd in the thread, by I stand by the above: lets stay here as long as we can, although its nice we have a plan B.

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Last edited by Thriller; 05-13-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:26 PM   #42
TerminX

We've already moved. Though these forums will stay, things will change... Joe won't be a part of them, it's likely nobody will be keeping the software up to date, et cetera. I don't really know George or know how he's going to operate these forums or really what's going to happen here once Joe is gone. I'm going to stay on as a moderator here for as long as possible for the sake of the other forums but I am committed to running the new Duke3D mods forum on Duke4.

With Joe running this place I felt like these forums were going to stay the same forever, with my friend running them and in no danger of going away because, hey, it's 3DR. Since the future of 3DR isn't very clear to the public right now I'm not too comfortable continuing on here when we don't know exactly what's going to happen. It's not like I can get a SQL dump of these forums or anything in order to move them elsewhere if they go down (which I can with Duke4). It's a longevity issue at this point.

Since I don't know what's going to happen precisely I'm going to go the safe route and stay committed to the decision to move these forums in the first place. If these forums stay up and running in good order for years and years after this point, great -- I'm happy to help keep them clean, and that means that all of the information on them isn't going anywhere. On the other hand, if 3DR is nothing but a paper entity run by George after all of this, what happens if he gets run over by a bus? I'd rather not keep adding to a pile of information that could be gone at any time with no notice if plans change.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:26 AM   #43
Thriller

I stand corrected. That does make sense.

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Old 05-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #44
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminX View Post
We've already moved. Though these forums will stay, things will change... Joe won't be a part of them, it's likely nobody will be keeping the software up to date, et cetera. I don't really know George or know how he's going to operate these forums or really what's going to happen here once Joe is gone. I'm going to stay on as a moderator here for as long as possible for the sake of the other forums but I am committed to running the new Duke3D mods forum on Duke4.

With Joe running this place I felt like these forums were going to stay the same forever, with my friend running them and in no danger of going away because, hey, it's 3DR. Since the future of 3DR isn't very clear to the public right now I'm not too comfortable continuing on here when we don't know exactly what's going to happen. It's not like I can get a SQL dump of these forums or anything in order to move them elsewhere if they go down (which I can with Duke4). It's a longevity issue at this point.

Since I don't know what's going to happen precisely I'm going to go the safe route and stay committed to the decision to move these forums in the first place. If these forums stay up and running in good order for years and years after this point, great -- I'm happy to help keep them clean, and that means that all of the information on them isn't going anywhere. On the other hand, if 3DR is nothing but a paper entity run by George after all of this, what happens if he gets run over by a bus? I'd rather not keep adding to a pile of information that could be gone at any time with no notice if plans change.
Well, we just went out and bought new service to keep everything running. These forums will remain - I know of no plans for them to go away. Which was something I couldn't say the day or the day after all the news about 3DR first broke.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #45
TerminX

That's really good news. All the Duke modding stuff is going well on the forum we moved to but there is an absolute ton of information (not to mention memories) here that would completely suck ass to lose. This place has been my home for probably longer than is healthy so I'm really relieved to know it's not going anywhere.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #46
Yenji

Whoops, nevermind. Thought this was the general topic of 3DR's current status. My bad
Last edited by Yenji; 05-18-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 PM   #47
Blue Lightning

Good to see things are staying up here!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #48
FrenzalBop

Im glad this place dint die. Though im only new i feel like i can talk about pretty much anything and people here are cool.

This would be my fave forum..

"GO SPEED RACER GO"
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 PM   #49
8IronBob

Yeah, keeping community support for these forums are just what we need around here. We may probably have to start some Duke 3D revival communities, and come up with new and innovative things to extend the life for at least the next decade or longer.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #50
8IronBob

Okay... You'll find me on board Duke4.net as WedgeBob. I'll talk about trying to bring old classics back in a new light, most likely newer versions of maps gone by, but hey... Anything to make up for the loss of DNF, I'm all for it.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #51
Zaxtor

If 3DR closes is it possible to move all our posts to new forums and or make it archive etc.

Some forums moved to new server/site and didn't harm posts nor member acc.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 AM   #52
The Commander

The forums are staying.

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #53
Daedolon
Joe, seeing the "Former 3DR Staff" as your description, will you still keep running these forums or will someone else come in as the admin at some point in time?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #54
The Commander

Thought I would bump this thread just to remind anyone that is going to post any EDuke32/modding related questions here that even though these forums are still alive most of us have migrated to Duke4.net

If you wish to get quicker attention for any problem Duke Nukem 3D related, coding, modding etc,
Then please post it here: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showforum=26

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!
Old 01-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #55
Vinsane

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commander View Post
Thought I would bump this thread just to remind anyone that is going to post any EDuke32/modding related questions here that even though these forums are still alive most of us have migrated to Duke4.net

If you wish to get quicker attention for any problem Duke Nukem 3D related, coding, modding etc,
Then please post it here: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showforum=26
Not that I come up with anything useful, but whats at the bottom of every page makes me think a bit before posting content over here.

"Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd."

Seems not to bother anyone though..........Guess it's just me.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #56
DeeperThought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsane View Post
Not that I come up with anything useful, but whats at the bottom of every page makes me think a bit before posting content over here.

"Ideas and messages posted here become property of Apogee Software Ltd."

Seems not to bother anyone though..........Guess it's just me.
I don't know if that would survive a legal test, but it's another reason why I would not be enthused about using this forum to discuss my mods like I used to.

DUKE NUKEM: ATTRITION
XP based weapon upgrades, progressive difficulty, and more.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #57
Sang

It's not because they want to steal your mod projects, it's to cover their asses in the event that some dude posts a DNF idea which happens to be in DNF and then feels like somehow he came up with the idea and that 3DR would owe him money..

can't.. quite.. put my finger on..
Old 01-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #58
Vinsane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperThought View Post
I don't know if that would survive a legal test, but it's another reason why I would not be enthused about using this forum to discuss my mods like I used to.
No one could blame you, besides, your not known as 'DeeperThought' for nothing!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #59
The Commander

*BUMP*
Just bumping this thread in the hopes that people who are coming here to raise issues with EDuke32 are aware that... (As there has been a few threads as of late about EDuke32)

All official EDuke32 discussion is held here from now on.
You will get better and quicker answers there than you will here.

http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showforum=26

Duke Nukem Red Alert SVN

Ask Me Anything!