Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
jpb6891

Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad Mod
I still have not forgotten about this cancelled game from Apogee that I am planning to relaunch. I have some Wolf ROTT enemies from the Monkey World site. I am planning on using the Apogee Wolf ROTT title screen for this mod. It will be made in SDL. Two additional episodes will follow. The fifth episode will be called 666 and take place in the future where the video game character will switch from BJ to someone else during the rule of the Antichrist. The sixth episode will be called Armageddon and will be about the the battle of Armageddon which was referenced in the original design spec. The first version will be called Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad VI. VI will be six levels with each level per episode. I like that Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad will have six episodes instead of four. It fits with Wolfenstein 3D.

The original archived thread is at http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38724.

I have been working on test maps using plain old Wolfenstein 3D as a base right now for the game.

The maps are available at https://archive.org/download/jpb1991...onthemount.zip. These are test maps that will not be in the final game. The full version of Wolfenstein 3D is required to play these maps.
Last edited by jpb6891; 10-28-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Re: Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad Mod
Technically the game was not "canceled". It just had its name changed. An awful lot of what existed in that version of the game made it to final.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 10-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
jpb6891

Rise of the Triad to me is a Wolfenstein 3D spin off. I consider Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad up to the fourth episode a prequel to the original 90s Rise of the Triad. The 2013 ROTT is not canon with the 90s ROTT since the 2013 version is a reboot. The Wolfenstein 3D version had a better design to me. The original Rise of the Triad that was released by 3D Realms is cool, do not get me wrong, but I think some of ROTT's designs are bland. On some of the levels that I played of ROTT, I saw a lot of the same colors on the same level. Wolfenstein 3D seems to have more design variety. Rise of the Triad is still a cool game. I think Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad would have been an even cooler game than the 90s one that was released which is one reason why I want to release it using SDL. Maybe the reason why I am not into the 90's ROTT is that I look at DOOM and think the same thing about that game. Both ROTT and DOOM are obviously advanced than Wolfenstein 3D. I guess I prefer Wolfenstein 3D graphics to ROTT Graphics and DOOM Graphics because Wolfenstein 3D was the first or one of the first video games that I played.
Last edited by jpb6891; 10-29-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
I consider Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad up to the fourth episode a prequel to the original 90s Rise of the Triad.
Huh? Wolf3D Part II *IS* Rise of the Triad (or was). The name was changed, and further developed.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
Blackmantis
3D Realms Staff

Cool Re: Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb6891 View Post
I still have not forgotten about this cancelled game from Apogee that I am planning to relaunch. I have some Wolf ROTT enemies from the Monkey World site. I am planning on using the Apogee Wolf ROTT title screen for this mod. It will be made in SDL. Two additional episodes will follow. The fifth episode will be called 666 and take place in the future where the video game character will switch from BJ to someone else during the rule of the Antichrist. The sixth episode will be called Armageddon and will be about the the battle of Armageddon which was referenced in the original design spec. The first version will be called Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad VI. VI will be six levels with each level per episode. I like that Wolfenstein 3D Part II Rise of the Triad will have six episodes instead of four. It fits with Wolfenstein 3D.

The original archived thread is at http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38724.

I have been working on test maps using plain old Wolfenstein 3D as a base right now for the game.

The maps are available at https://archive.org/download/jpb1991...onthemount.zip. These are test maps that will not be in the final game. The full version of Wolfenstein 3D is required to play these maps.
I always thought the idea of seeing "Wolf3d Part II: Rise of the Triad" was awesome, but as Joe mentioned above, Wolf3D Part II became ROTT, so technically, it wasn't a project that was cancelled or lost to time, but rather changed and developed into something we now know as Rise of the Triad (1995).

It did pique my curiousity earlier this year though. I had a chat with Ken Silverman and built my own Raycaster engine from scratch to see if I could build a Wolf3d engine clone that I could add a few sprites/wall tiles from the Wolf3d part II Design Spec Sheet into, just to make a sort of "mock up" version.

I started off using QBASIC for it, but switched to C++ and the SDL library as it was way more powerful, and BASIC struggled with raycasting.

Added in floors, ceilings, sprites

This is about as far as I got with it: I was working on making multi-level maps, as well as a little feature not present in ROTT such as the ability to change tiles on each vertical layer to be different to that of the ones below/above it.

Around this time however I think I just ended up driving myself into the ground (Programming was never really for me) and I stopped the project. Still, I'm very glad that Wolf3D Part II became the ROTT we know today, it's been a long favourite title of mine due to the light hearted take on action.

(Plus I found that trying to make the graphics more advanced sort of took away from the "Wolf3d" look.). In the end, if I was ever going to have another crack at it, I'd stick purely with what the design spec sheet said (basically a Wolf3d engine with a few modifications), but retaining that really classic raycaster look, something similar to how Blake Stone turned out, but with a bit more in the way of lighting.

Either way, I am curious to see what becomes of your version.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
jpb6891

A version of Wolf ROTT that I mentioned in an earlier thread has been released by someone else. It is available at http://thandor.net/article/23. I like this version. This version will be better than my version. I might try to make my version using EC Wolf.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
jpb6891

I have the rise of the triad wolf 3d sprites from that the image world site. I have checked the original specs out also. I have played some of Thander's Wolf ROTT. I will not be able to use EC Wolf for the time being. It will be SDL. I am trying to create basic modified Wolfenstein mods with a few source code tweaks before working on the main Wolf ROTT mod.
Last edited by jpb6891; 07-05-2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
Nukkus

Good job ignoring Joe guys and just going on with your weirdness.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
jpb6891

Wolfenstein 3D ROTT is better than ROTT 95 in my opinion. Both are vastly different games and stories. The Triad in ROTT seems to be based on the Nazi Triad from Wolfenstein 3D ROTT since Wolfenstein 3D ROTT got canned. The ROTT villians are Neo Nazis in a sense. I believe that Wolfenstein 3D ROTT actually happened in the ROTT universe. ROTT is simply a spinoff to Wolf 3D ROTT in my opinion because the Wolfenstein 3D name had to be dropped. I think the original Wolf ROTT would have been a lot better than ROTT based on Thandor's version. I still think ROTT 95 and Wolf ROTT both get A pluses from me though. ROTT gets a 99 percent. Wolf ROTT gets a 100 percent.
Last edited by jpb6891; 07-19-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Nukkus

There IS NO wolf3d rott, as Joe said, it's the same game but with a name change. Jeez.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:43 AM   #11
doggydoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb6891 View Post
Wolfenstein 3D ROTT is better than ROTT 95 in my opinion. Both are vastly different games and stories. The Triad in ROTT seems to be based on the Nazi Triad from Wolfenstein 3D ROTT since Wolfenstein 3D ROTT got canned. The ROTT villians are Neo Nazis in a sense. I believe that Wolfenstein 3D ROTT actually happened in the ROTT universe. ROTT is simply a spinoff to Wolf 3D ROTT in my opinion because the Wolfenstein 3D name had to be dropped. I think the original Wolf ROTT would have been a lot better than ROTT based on Thandor's version. I still think ROTT 95 and Wolf ROTT both get A pluses from me though. ROTT gets a 99 percent. Wolf ROTT gets a 100 percent.
You said 'ROTT' 16 times :-)
I wouldn't give Wolf Part 2 a 100%, since it's an unfinished game.
What exactly makes the older version better except for being a Wolfenstein game?
Old 07-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Not entirely sure how you can rate an unreleased game that was spec level 100%. OK, you like the ideas from back then, that's fine. I get that. But it wasn't a "game" as such. There was work done, and you could run around in that version of the game, but there wasn't a real "game" there. AFAIK, no videos of the game when it was Wolf3D Part II were ever released. I certainly don't remember any.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:15 PM   #13
jpb6891

The game is at http://thandor.net/article/23. To me, it retains the feel of the original Wolfenstein 3D and does not follow the design spec all the way, but this one gets a 100 percent whereas ROTT gets a 99 percent. ROTT seems campier and hokier than the Wolfenstein 3D version of it.
Last edited by jpb6891; 07-26-2015 at 09:17 PM.