Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #41
randombluedude2

Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarThrash View Post
In Total Meltdown, how was the movement scheme? I know that PS1 games could not rely on using analog sticks as not every controller had them. So how did the PS1 controller handle the strafing and the aiming? I looked at one youtube video and I don't think I ever saw the player look up/down once, so I'm guessing that the ability to aim up and down was taken out.
I believe that the game did support analog sticks, but did not use them in what would be considered a conventional way. The left stick was used for moving forward and backward and turning. The right stick was used only for strafing. You had to use to L1 and L2 buttons to look up and down respectively. Auto aim was always on so that kind've helped, but there was no doubt that the game still felt awkward.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #42
Mighty Boot

Total Meltdown is almost impossible to play. Controls are dreadful and the framerate stinks. I'll never know if the extra content is good because I couldn't get past the second or third level. For instance, the invisible bridge in the first level. What were they thinking? I always wished that epsiode would be remade for pc because the levels were promising and complex.

Total Meltdown would only work "perfectly" if this was 1997.

And yeah the analog sticks aren't implemented in modern fashion.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #43
randombluedude2

Thumbs up Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
Apparently the official Playstation website is doing this Playstation Share thing were people suggest ideas related to Playstation hardware and vote on them. The really popular ones might get considered by Sony. Somebody has already made a post suggesting that Duke 3D should be put on the PSN. How about we all vote for it and hope that it rises high enough in the ranks.
Here's a link to the post.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #44
Loke

Voted. It's the least I could do.
- The Stinger
Old 06-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #45
PukeBurger

Voted also. (PSN: Kornered)...
Last edited by PukeBurger; 06-15-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:35 PM   #46
Rapture_Rising

Me too. I also jumped on the bandwagon.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #47
Spirrwell(CI)
Well first of the person who suggested the idea of using Linux via the PS3's OtherOS capability is only right if you haven't updated your PS3's firmware. They deleted OtherOS on the fat PS3 for security reasons in a firmware update, and without that update you can't access PSN. As a matter of fact Sony had, not sure if it "has," lawsuits filed against them because of this. Anyway that's a bit off topic. Yeah DNTM works on any PS3, it works fine to me not sure about the frame rate problems some of you have had. I actually like the controls. Duke Nukem 3D for Xbox Live Arcade is pretty good to get, but it is annoying to have to pay every month or year or whatever you choose just to play online. I have one supposed broken Xbox 360 that doesn't show video, but it takes a different power supply than the one I have that works. So yeah the Xbox 360 has all sorts of problems, but the PS3 has its own too. I have three PS3s and one of them I think has an overheating problem and it won't show video. As for the Nintendo Wii they have their rare problems. Those can be easily fixed somewhat, if it's "bricked" you can replace the NAND with a backup one. The Nintendo Wii is the way to go I say. I definitely think that a Duke Nukem for Nintendo Wii would suffice. Of course that's my personal opinion I always like the thought of being able to hold a gun (the Wii gun of course) to shoot at certain things. Duke Nukem 3D for PS3 would be great though, I really don't like Xbox Live so much.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 PM   #48
randombluedude2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirrwell(CI) View Post
I really don't like Xbox Live so much.
I'm with you on that one! No offense to all the hardcore Microsoft fanboys out there.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #49
PukeBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombluedude2 View Post
I'm with you on that one! No offense to all the hardcore Microsoft fanboys out there.
I think people are more willing to buy a game off of PSN because they're not paying monthly for the PSN service...at least I am.
Last edited by PukeBurger; 06-23-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #50
WarThrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukeBurger View Post
I think people are more willing to buy a game off of PSN because they're not paying monthly for the PSN service...at least I am.
You don't have to pay for the Gold service to buy arcade games if that's what you're getting at, that's just to play online with people.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM   #51
PukeBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarThrash View Post
You don't have to pay for the Gold service to buy arcade games if that's what you're getting at, that's just to play online with people.
Thanks for clarifying, I was under the impression you had to pay a monthly fee just to get the system online
Old 06-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #52
PukeBurger

Thought I'd post this here...I thought we should try to get DN:MP on PSN as well as DN3D so I sent in the idea. I'll put both links here in case the one above was missed.
If you own a PS3 you can log into the site using your PSN user name.

Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project on PSN

Duke Nukem 3D on PSN
Last edited by PukeBurger; 06-24-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #53
randombluedude2

Unhappy Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
Well so far neither one of these posts has hit the 'hundo mark (as of the time of this post). Maybe the Playstation Share idea won't work for getting this game made. What do you think?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #54
PukeBurger

Quote:
Well so far neither one of these posts has hit the 'hundo mark (as of the time of this post). Maybe the Playstation Share idea won't work for getting this game made. What do you think?
not looking good
Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #55
Duker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PukeBurger View Post
not looking good
I would vote for both games but if i try to login it says my email an stuff isnt right
Old 07-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #57
NUKEMDAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
Awesome! I hope at least Duke3D makes it on there. Duke3D XBLA multiplayer isn't as booming as it used to be.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #58
GrimWoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUKEMDAVE View Post
Awesome! I hope at least Duke3D makes it on there. Duke3D XBLA multiplayer isn't as booming as it used to be.
You barely play anymore.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #59
Duker

Quote:
It would be awsome duke 3d would be the only reason for me to ever buy an xbox and if George wants it on psn were probably gona get it because people from texas i hear never change there minds.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #60
NUKEMDAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMan View Post
You barely play anymore.
I would, but it's just not the same anymore. When I do meet up with someone in the Dukematch lobby, they usually disconnect during the match if I'm beating them, and my kills don't get counted.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:31 AM   #61
GrimWoman

Quote:
I would, but it's just not the same anymore. When I do meet up with someone in the Dukematch lobby, they usually disconnect during the match if I'm beating them, and my kills don't get counted.
The kills usually only don't count if two or three people quit out and sometimes even if that does happen the kills register on the leaderboards.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #62
randombluedude2

Smile Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
It is quite groovy that some hint of support is being shown for the title on PSN. George, you do know that one of the most interesting things about the XBox version was the new Duke Nukem Forever screenshots, right? Since those screenshots are not much of a secret anymore, how about you do something different with the PSN version of Duke 3D. Like say, different screenshots.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:41 AM   #63
Duker

Quote:
It is quite groovy that some hint of support is being shown for the title on PSN. George, you do know that one of the most interesting things about the XBox version was the new Duke Nukem Forever screenshots, right? Since those screenshots are not much of a secret anymore, how about you do something different with the PSN version of Duke 3D. Like say, different screenshots.
I was thinking of the exact same thing new screenshots would pretty much confirm that dnf is still in development.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #64
PukeBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duker View Post
I was thinking of the exact same thing new screenshots would pretty much confirm that dnf is still in development.
Just another good reason to bring up the "too many lawyers" excuse...
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #65
Rigelatin

After 2 years of this thread, is there still any chance for PSN Duke3D? How are the emails with Sony? I'd be glad to see some good games like DN MP and Doom besides Duke3D (not TM). This request shouldn't die off.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #66
Altered Reality

A version of Duke3D that runs on PS3 already exists, and it's Duke3D for the PS1. And before someone comes up with the 60 GB bullshit: EVERY PLAYSTATION 3 MODEL IS COMPATIBLE WITH PLAYSTATION 1 GAMES.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #67
MrBlackCat

I read this whole thread and feel like I am missing something... maybe.
I don't have an XBox 360... but I have a PS1 and PS2 still and play the old Duke Nukem PS1 games on them. I suppose if the social aspects of gaming are why you play then I would agree that it needs to be updated (controls and multiplayer) and put on PSN.
If you only want to play the single player campaign, then the only argument might be better controls.

Wasn't the XBox live version a DOS version port? I read all that back then, but can't remember.
I ask this because the PS1 version controls are very... PS1-ish, and the resolution is VERY poor. Total Meltdown on a 31" screen is looking pretty bad. I actually go to another TV where my PS1 is and play it on a 19" screen to reduce the effects of almost "brutal" pixelation.
On a side note, PS2 smoothing works well for Total Meltdown. I didn't think so until I captured a screen image and then turned it back off. There is less shear when you rotate also.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #68
Rigelatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
A version of Duke3D that runs on PS3 already exists, and it's Duke3D for the PS1. And before someone comes up with the 60 GB bullshit: EVERY PLAYSTATION 3 MODEL IS COMPATIBLE WITH PLAYSTATION 1 GAMES.
I meant about the same port XBLA Duke uses and refered ''TM'' as Total Meltdown on my previous post. Not everyone likes the PS1 port and it would be easier to get a Duke3D via download instead of searching it for days from online stores, etc.. And yes, I have a PS3 that plays PS1 games but I'm not interested about the PS1 version.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #69
MrBlackCat

I understand what you mean... I did not play Duke Nukem Total Meltdown on PS1 until a few years ago actually. I played Duke Nukem 3D on PC in vesa 800x600 and when I saw PS1 Total Meltdown, there is little point in playing it from my point of view. I got both Time to Kill and Planet of the Babes only because I could not play them on PC and wanted to play ever Duke Nukem game out there... which most of us here understand.

What resolution is the XBox Live version of Duke Nukem 3D?

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #70
NUKEMDAVE

It seems kind of late now for it to get ported, but I still hope it does. In my opinion, they should do something different the next time around. Instead of just porting it again, they should HD it if all the assets for the game still exist. HD sprites, sounds, etc. That would be a true remake of Duke3D.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #71
8IronBob

To make it even better, perhaps make a mod to get the PS3 version of a Duke 3D port to work with 3DTV as well, which would be cool. This could require the use of Polymer and/or HRP technology to work, supposedly, but I'm pretty sure that a game like this could be done in a way to have those "pop out in your face" effects. Like to see if a plan like that could take off.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #72
Rigelatin

I don't care about mods and effects, the original graphics matter. The XBLA Duke3D graphics with ''3DFX'' effect are fine enough to me. Or would it have an option to switch graphics to DOS Duke, 3DFX or HRP? What do you think if they'd release the addons DC, Nuclear Winter and Caribbean for both consoles (doubt it because Atari owns WizardWorks)? That would attract fans, particularly for multiplayer which I'd like to play if Duke3D was ported to PSN.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #73
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
To make it even better, perhaps make a mod to get the PS3 version of a Duke 3D port to work with 3DTV as well, which would be cool. This could require the use of Polymer and/or HRP technology to work, supposedly, but I'm pretty sure that a game like this could be done in a way to have those "pop out in your face" effects. Like to see if a plan like that could take off.
I would definitely buy a stereoscopic PS3 version of Duke3D, based on Polymer and the HRP.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #74
MrBlackCat

This is becoming "The Thread of Deams..."

Lots of good ideas, but... considering the control scheme of Duke Nukem 3D for Android, something "good" is not likely to happen. That was sad and disappointing to me. I don't like touch screen games generally speaking anyway, but it plays horrible. At least the XBox Live port seems to work reasonably well.

I guess what I am saying is that most any Duke Nukem update would be accepted if it is done well.

MrBlackCat

Old 03-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #75
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altered Reality View Post
I would definitely buy a stereoscopic PS3 version of Duke3D, based on Polymer and the HRP.
Eh why not? It worked well with Killzone 3, and that's one of the first FPS games to utilize stereoscopic graphics on the PS3 platform, I think, so it couldn't be too tough to remaster older FPS games to do the same.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 03-12-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #76
MrBlackCat

I am comfused... Altered Reality is saying he would buy it... definitely.

(Did I miss something?)

My only experience with 3D Gaming is some of the old DOS games that used Red/Blue shift... like Depth Dwellers. Not a fun game, but the 3D-ness worked well.

I realize that technology is so old it is almost off topic however.

I wonder what it would really cost to do this with older games... it must not be too cost effective or there would be a lot more of it done.

MrBlackCat

Old 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #77
8IronBob

True. Remastering older games to do this would certainly be less cost effective than remastering older movies to 3D (like Star Wars was just recently redone). But I just see this being something to look forward to. I'd love to see an alien shoot a laser at my face, or an octabrain floating and hitting me in the face with his goo balls, etc... I just see this as being a good experience. Why not? DNF's in stereoscopic 3D on the PC through 3D Vision, and the PS3 is another platform that also has a pretty solid 3D gaming technology. So why not try this?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #78
MrBlackCat

I am pretty certain it will evolve dramatically in the next decade, but I am not sure 3D is going to be as big as most people think. I am ready for holographic display boxes however. Like in Star Wars! Hehehe.

I think the technology will go elsewhere... multi-layered LCD (or other tech) screens with inches of depth to create a more dramatic 3D effect is likely. (this technology does not exist at this time)
Laser in a gas field for hologram display does exist, but has many issues to be worked out before it goes main stream. Many years away.

I will be watching it happen for sure...

MrBlackCat

Old 03-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #79
Altered Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8IronBob View Post
Eh why not? It worked well with Killzone 3, and that's one of the first FPS games to utilize stereoscopic graphics on the PS3 platform, I think, so it couldn't be too tough to remaster older FPS games to do the same.
Uh... read my message again, I am very much in favor of stereoscopy. In fact, I cannot stand those who bash it, and I call them "one-eyed freaks".