Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem > Duke Nukem 3D Xbox LIVE
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
randombluedude2

Duke Nukem Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
Just an idea to maybe port the Xbox Live Arcade edition of Duke Nukem 3D to the PlayStation Network (A.K.A. the PlayStation 3's equivalent of Xbox Live Arcade). Just a cool thought that's all, and you do not have to do it if it would take too much time from developing Duke Nukem Forever or if you guys are not as experienced with developing for the PlayStation 3. Just something cool to consider nonetheless.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
Altered Reality

Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
That's not necessary: Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown will work perfectly on a PS3. Moreover, a physical copy of the game is harder to lose in case of hardware malfunction, while a DD copy would be lost if the hard drive of your PS3 crapped out and you were unable to access your PSN account.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
randombluedude2

Unhappy Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
Yes, now while that is true, Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown is incredibly clunky in terms of frame rate most of the time, and I personally think that the controls are quite awkward as well.
Last edited by randombluedude2; 01-05-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
8IronBob

Well, that is if you can find a physical copy of DN:TM anywhere. Even tho eBay may be loaded with them, you don't know what condition or quality that game is in, and if you do win one of those auctions, you may wind up paying through the nose. I may have to look at local exchange stores this weekend...easier said than done if I run into it, tho.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Nacho

I recommend it for the extra episode and that is all, though yes... finding a copy is not so easy.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
8IronBob

Yeah, like I said, the only chance you have is to hope that a local mom-and-pop second hand game store will have it (not a GameStop or FYE, or any of those big chain used game stores, since they don't carry games that old).
Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
l.a.

I would also reccomend checking craigslist, people put up some of the stupidest stuff on that site just to make a buck or two. If not there try to find a copy of Duke Nukem: Time To Kill, just to pass the time and see if Duke Nukem 3d gets put on PSN.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
Duke's New Chainsaw

/nevermind
Old 01-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
Altered Reality

If you have a fat PS3, you can also install Linux, which enables you to run the Linux version of Duke3D. According to this thread, it runs smoothly at 1280x720 full screen. And while you're at it, you could also install DosBox, which would allow you to play many more DOS games on your PS3.
Last edited by Altered Reality; 01-06-2010 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
mental stampede

I'd rather just be able to download it from PSN...Like the XBLA version.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 AM   #11
Kennerado

Yep, Duke3D on PSN would rock.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #12
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennerado View Post
Yep, Duke3D on PSN would rock.
Yes, yes it would. I would like Duke 3D on the PSN. They did it with Wolfenstein 3D so i cant really see a reason they didnt do it with Duke 3D
Old 01-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #13
randombluedude2

Look I do own Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown. I bought it for ten dollars at a local game store I and still believe it to be poorly coded for the most part. It appears that the last three people who have commented on this board so far knows what I intended to talk about.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

But also I would like to mention that if porting Duke Nukem 3D to the PSN would halt the development of Duke Nukem Forever, I would strongly advise against it.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
Llama Gibbz

This was covered before.
Check my thread.
Its up to sony to give the ok make it available.

I was more interested in the multi-player portion of the game myself.
Kind of odd duke 3d and doom isnt available,but Wolfenstein 3D is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombluedude2 View Post
But also I would like to mention that if porting Duke Nukem 3D to the PSN would halt the development of Duke Nukem Forever, I would strongly advise against it.
Would halt Duke Forever development?

Anyway,all the more reason it must be a problem on sonys end.
If they had the time or money for a small team to port to Xbox and iphone,a PSN port should have been just as easy.
Last edited by Llama Gibbz; 01-09-2010 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #15
randombluedude2

Thumbs up Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
You do have a very good point there. Do you think that we should argue with Sony to allow a game like this or have you already tried and presumably failed?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
randombluedude2

... well do you?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:34 PM   #17
Avalon

Goofy Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
If you want this awesome version of Duke Nukem 3D you'll need to go to your local games store and shell out some cash for a REAL games console which actualy gets decent games (Xbox 360). After you purchase one of these bad boys you'll be able to play Duke Nukem online like the rest of the community. Until then you will have to enjoy Little Big Planet (Lolz). 3D realms doesn't even exist anymore, their not porting it to PS3

Last edited by Avalon; 02-09-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
8IronBob

Here's an eBay link to someone who has it for only $9, ka-ching...sold. And it's a top-rater seller on top of that, and $1.50 to ship it, definitely cheaper than getting an XBL copy, I have to think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Duke-Nukem-Total...item3357563aca
Old 02-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #19
fast-1

This is off topic but want to ask anyway. For the Duke Nukem total meltdown PS1 version, can you play it on your PS2/PS3 with keyboard and mouse.

The PS2 version of Deus EX 1 & Red Faction 2 has mouse and K/B fuction.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Rapture_Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
If you want this awesome version of Duke Nukem 3D you'll need to go to your local games store and shell out some cash for a REAL games console which actualy gets decent games (Xbox 360). After you purchase one of these bad boys you'll be able to play Duke Nukem online like the rest of the community. Until then you will have to enjoy Little Big Planet (Lolz). 3D realms doesn't even exist anymore, their not porting it to PS3
Sorry to get off topic here.

Not everyone has or wants an Xbox 360.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 AM   #21
gamerfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast-1 View Post
This is off topic but want to ask anyway. For the Duke Nukem total meltdown PS1 version, can you play it on your PS2/PS3 with keyboard and mouse.

The PS2 version of Deus EX 1 & Red Faction 2 has mouse and K/B fuction.

Lol as far as I know, no you can't play it like that. It has 3 controller settings though. I personally choose the last controller setting as it seems to be just like Syphon Filter's default controller setup.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 AM   #22
Altered Reality

Quote:
Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #23
GrimWoman

Quote:
Are you serious? I have a Xbox 360 and even i know its a piece of s***. It gets the red ring of death, disk errors, scratches cds and breaks every year or so. There are only a few things that are good about it, which are the games (for the most part) and the online service (which you have to pay for).
Last edited by GrimWoman; 02-10-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #24
Avalon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture_Rising View Post
Sorry to get off topic here.

Not everyone has or wants an Xbox 360.
Yeah but it's kind of an obvious fact, if you don't want a xbox 360 you're not going to get to play Duke Nukem 3D Live.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM   #25
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMan View Post
Are you serious? I have a Xbox 360 and even i know its a piece of s***. It gets the red ring of death, disk errors, scratches cds and breaks every year or so. There are only a few things that are good about it, which are the games (for the most part) and the online service (which you have to pay for).
Exactly why I like the PS1 backwards compatibility for that reason. I don't think that it was that they aren't porting it, it's just that since 3DR knew about the b/c to PS1 games thru PS3, and that copies of DN:TM were available on eBay from time to time, and that DN:TM is almost as good, if not on par with the X360/PC version, they probably wanted you to go the PS3/PS1 backward compatibility route vs. that of downloading thru PSN Store.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #26
Avalon

No that doesn't make any sense. It's on the 360 because Microsoft will not rip them off like Sony would. Also only the 60GB Ps3 plays Ps1 discs! Alot of Ps3's will not play playstation one i have my own and I think ps3 is poor. You are never gonna see Duke Nukem Live on Ps3 .. Buy a cheap xbox and you will convert to xbox in no time

Also Xbox isn't a piece of **** at all, all xboxes are covered by 3 years now! Red Ring means jack. It scratces CD's ONLY if you move the console while the disc is in it and it's running (What clown does that?).

xbox 360 is better haters. I am tired of the hate i'm seeing ITT.
Last edited by Avalon; 02-10-2010 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #27
8IronBob

No, it's only the 60GB that plays PS*2* discs, all PS3s are still capable of PS1 gameplay, iirc. I own a second-gen 40GB PS3, and it plays them flawlessly.
Last edited by 8IronBob; 02-10-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #28
Phayzon

8IronBob is correct. All PS3s will play PS1 games (I personally can say the Slim model does, as that is what I own), but not too long after the launch batch did they stop offering PS2 compatibility.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #29
Avalon

ok im wrong your right . happy?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #30
8IronBob

Right...in fact, the PSX version of Duke (DN:TM PS1 game thru PS3 compatibility mode) may actually be better than the XBLA counterpart, because of that extra content that they added in back in those days. I know you won't get any Trophies with any PS1 games, but at least you do have a better game in terms of content.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #31
GrimWoman

I though that DN:TM had a horrible frame rate or does it run better on the ps3?
Old 02-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #32
Llama Gibbz

"Reads Thread"

Old 02-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #33
8IronBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMan View Post
I though that DN:TM had a horrible frame rate or does it run better on the ps3?
Well, the frame rate may be crummy, yes, but the extra levels and other content made up for it.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #34
maze_maze

if you dont play for gamerscore and trohpies the psx one is awesome.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #35
Avalon

DM:TM is great for that extra scenario but the controls on the PS1 were terrible. But maybe you can change the way it aims with the options though. They even had the special pig cop enemies I think another new enemy was also in it.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #36
Rapture_Rising

Ok... why dont we change this thread to put Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown on to the Playstation Network?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #37
randombluedude2

Irritated Re: Duke Nukem 3D for PlayStation Network
Seriously though,
Is Sony really that unwilling to give you a license for the game?
Is it really that much more difficult to develop for the PlayStation 3?
Does the system not support a MIDI sound system?
What is the main reason why a great game like this has not been made available on the PSN?

Also just to finally respond to Rapture_Rising's comment, I do not think that it would be better to rerelease Total Meltdown as I think that game suffers from an awful framerate, less detailed graphics, and a lack of good multiplayer options (system link only). It did have cool music, I'll give you that though.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #38
WarThrash

In Total Meltdown, how was the movement scheme? I know that PS1 games could not rely on using analog sticks as not every controller had them. So how did the PS1 controller handle the strafing and the aiming? I looked at one youtube video and I don't think I ever saw the player look up/down once, so I'm guessing that the ability to aim up and down was taken out.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #39
MegaMustaine

It is there, but the controls pretty much suck. So does the framerate. If you can get past that, it is Duke and there is a new episode.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #40
Commando Nukem

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombluedude2 View Post
Does the system not support a MIDI sound system?
I really cant see it being something like that...