Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Programming Forum > UnrealED Help
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
meTT
Lighting through objects
Hi all

I have some streetlights in my environment with corona lights inside them (shining outwards).

I also have a chain link fence in my environment that i created with opacity maps, when i look at the corona lights inside the streetlights through this chain fence, the corona lights go unseeable, this is a problem.

here are some screenshots to explain what i mean below.

(ScreenShot1 - Looking at lights normally)

lightsNormal

ScreenShot2 - Looking at the lights through chain fence)

LightsNotWorking

Does anyone know how i can enable the corona light to pass through this chainfence object ??(the chain fence is a static mesh by the way!)

thanks

MeTT
Old 12-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
meTT
Re: Lighting through objects
lol...

Fixed the problem now but another has arrisen

Changed a small boolean variable under the static mesh collision properties called "bCollideActors" to false, now the light actor is showing straight through, the only problem now is the mesh has become walkthrough and my player can clip right through it.

Fortunately i have the frame of the fence and the links of the fence as separate objects, so i can simply set the links bCollideActors" to false and leave the frame as normal.

this should allow me to see the lights through the links but not pass through them as the frame work will block me.

However, for future reference, IS there a way to set it so light will show through but will still be a solid object, preventing players moving through ?

thanks

MeTT
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
meTT
ok fixed again -_-

bCollideActors.true = makes everything pass through

bBlockZeroExtentTraces.true = lets gun fire and light through but blocks all else.

i simply set bCollideActors to False

and bBlockZeroExtentTraces to True
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
NutWrench

I don't know if this will work, but maybe you could surround the fence with a Blocking Volume? I think Blocking Volumes still allow light to pass through them.
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 12-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #5
Mr.Sociopath

posted too late
Old 12-14-2005, 03:50 AM   #6
Parkar

Quote:
meTT said:
ok fixed again -_-

bCollideActors.true = makes everything pass through

bBlockZeroExtentTraces.true = lets gun fire and light through but blocks all else.

i simply set bCollideActors to False

and bBlockZeroExtentTraces to True
Is it not the other way around?

bCollideActors = true and bBlockZeroExtentTraces = false.

This is what I was going to sugest anyway since I had the same issue with a spherical lamp I wanted a corona on. Basicaly let traces through the static mesh but colide with actors.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #7
pec

Quote:
NutWrench said:
I don't know if this will work, but maybe you could surround the fence with a Blocking Volume? I think Blocking Volumes still allow light to pass through them.
Yes, invisible blocking volumes let light pass through.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #8
Danr
How do I make light go through sheets
Hi, I am new to 3drealms and i have recently started making maps for UED. I have found out lots of stuff on my own, but I cant find out how to make light go through sheets.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
jimbob

depends on the texture i think, some textures have an alpha channel that lets light through all the time, but if that is not what you want, you could take a look in the advanced display options of the sheet.

as soon as i get my new code fixed and compiled i`ll take a look at it ( unrealed refuses to launch when it misses a package )