Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Popular Media Forum
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Kit

Star Trek XII: Into Darkness

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diP-o_JxysA

Really enjoyed the reboot so I have high hopes for this.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
KO Gilligan

Re: Star Trek XII: Into Darkness
I'm so happy to see this franchise still alive. Fans ripped the Enterprise series apart, and I loved it. Unfortunately, Star Trek fans can be very vocal about Star Trek. When I participated on a large community board of fans, most of them said they would rather there not be anymore movies unless "it's done right"

The last movie did well with fans, and new fans... so hopefully Star Trek will live on, even if it's falling short of expectations. Fans have always been too zealous about what the studio does. I'll be happy if the movie doesn't suck - simple as that.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Kalki

Thanks Kit, I had neglected to post this. The Japanese teaser has extra footage at the end so some of you may want to check it out.

I liked the reboot, not a fan of the darker turn it took but it was enjoyable. The cast was great for the most part. I think Cumberbatch might have made a better Spock, he's got the voice for it.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
Kit

Agreed, it does seem a lot darker than previous Star Trek but I'm fairly confident it will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
I'm so happy to see this franchise still alive. Fans ripped the Enterprise series apart, and I loved it. Unfortunately, Star Trek fans can be very vocal about Star Trek. When I participated on a large community board of fans, most of them said they would rather there not be anymore movies unless "it's done right"
Had to check when Enterprise had been released. Can't believe it's been around 11 years.

I thought Enterprise was alright but it felt to me like the series would have been better suited to a one off film.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
KO Gilligan

What's amazing is how long Star Trek Online has been around already. It has a fairly large player base, and the missions are pretty fun even though it's a typical grinding MMO game.

Star Trek Online is worth checking out. It's free to play, and I think it's a lot better than the Star Wars game, and there's plenty to do if you don't mind the grind. The PvP is very traditional and has attacted the elite if you're into that - the players are good and they know all the trick builds no matter how many times the devs rebalance them.

But that's another reason I like to see the movies keep coming. The franchise has slipped into a somewhat stagnent period where we don't see any gaming at all. Back between about 10 and 20+ years ago, the TV, the movies, and the games flowed steadily from the franchise.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #6
KO Gilligan

Anyone see the new Star Trek game coming out?

Looks like crap.

I just want secret of vulcan fury... It was nearly complete and the voice acting was the original cast
Somebody has the disks dammit.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
X-Vector

Quote:
Anyone see the new Star Trek game coming out?

Looks like crap.
Yeah, they sure don't make 'em like they used to.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post
Yeah, they sure don't make 'em like they used to.

I played that game in public school - after school computer club
it was 1978-79

I played it on a terminal with only a tractor feed printer, printing a new page for each turn - the mainframe, located downtown for the whole district, was one of those DASD machines with no RAM, it spooled data on big giant platters.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #9
Kit

A new trailer is out exclusive to Apple. Looks really nice but it's not instantly striking me as a Star Trek flick - looks a litttle too heavy.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
8IronBob

Just so long as this is better than that "reboot" Star Trek from a couple of years ago.

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote:
I played that game in public school - after school computer club
it was 1978-79

I played it on a terminal with only a tractor feed printer, printing a new page for each turn - the mainframe, located downtown for the whole district, was one of those DASD machines with no RAM, it spooled data on big giant platters.
Sounds rather primitive. When you consider that there were computers where you could have had those 5 1/4" disks or play it off a data cassette, like some did back in those days.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
KO Gilligan

Technology in Public school is primitive ...

I had a full color Apple II later that same year (48K RAM!!! - but only had a cassete player). Considering a simple personal computer cost thousands of dollars, they were probably using the same mainframe for for another decade.

You are familiar with the very same old mainframes powering green/orange screen terminals -this was a big one (in the VAX era even)
They were increadibly reliable and could accomodate many users at once.

---------- Post added at 07:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Vector View Post

... and on the next screen
It may switch to condition red when there is suddenly two or three "K"s decloaked on the grid.
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-20-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #12
Commando Nukem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=2nRI4fftGB4

New trailer. It jazzed me pretty good.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
hellchicken
Best cast interview you'll ever see.

Spocko meets the cast of ST - Into Darkness

Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
NutWrench

Here's a hilarious review of the movie. Did this actually happen? I want to save myself 8 or 9 bucks.

http://io9.com/star-trek-into-darkne...-faq-508927844
"If by chance some day you're not feeling well and you should remember some silly thing I've said or done and it brings back a smile to your face or a chuckle to your heart, then my purpose as your clown has been fulfilled."
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #15
FullMetalJacket
I loved the movie.

"My father would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy; the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament."
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #16
hellchicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post
Here's a hilarious review of the movie. Did this actually happen? I want to save myself 8 or 9 bucks.

I've only read the first paragraphs of this, but so far it is a spot-on retelling of the entire plot.

[EDIT]Yep, if you read that you no longer have a reason to actually watch the movie. Which is fine if your plan is to not be disappointed.
Last edited by hellchicken; 05-23-2013 at 06:52 AM.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
Crosma

Exclamation Re: Star Trek XII: Into Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutWrench View Post

Yeah it was a pretty dumb movie over all. The plot is a complete nonsense, and the fan-service is just grating.

Also, making the bad guy Khan had no purpose. He might as well've been called Mr. Flibby Flobber for all the difference it made.