Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > Non 3DR Game Discussion
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #601
MAT

Re: Good Old Games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief View Post
Yep, redeemed my copy. Been on the fence for a while concerning Torchlight...only similar game I've played is Titan Quest, and that game became a chore halfway through my 50 hour playthrough.
Titan Quest bored me to death after like 10 hours. I assume Torchlight is more entertaining?

How do you take someone seriously when their sig is the machine stats? -Tea Monster
Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #602
twelvepaws

How old are we talking about? I went back through the threads and didn't see anything about really old games, but then those are probably not going to function on newer PC's, etc. without Dosbox, which I don't have except the version formatted and sold as accompaniment for games I downloaded during one of the last big sales from Apogee.

I dusted off Rescue Rover (a Romero-Broussard-Carmack game from 1991 & 1993 out of Softdisk) and the floppy still works on my '95. I pull one of these out from time to time when I can't find anything good in the genres I prefer - the good ones are hard to find among the clones that are put out these days, games that are supposed to be adventure and turn out to loaded down with HOS, platformers that are really boring, etc. I keep the '95 for as long as it still works and have my really old games from Apogee, Id, Epic (should I even mention them considering all their digs at Apogee?) e.g. Xargon, Jill, BioMenace, DN 2, Kroz, too many to list here.

The day my '95 stops working I'll be scrambling to recover workable forms of a lot...I mean a whole bunch...of those games from that era.

KC Royals - World Series 2015 Champs!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #603
Thief

GOG's got their awesome "Pick 5, save 80%" deal going on all week again. Unfortunately you actually have to choose five games for the sale to take effect, unlike last time where the minimum was three (or maybe that was two sales ago).

http://www.gog.com/high5

Don't think I'm gonna bite this time, but there are definitely some pretty good titles to be had.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #604
KO Gilligan

Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
(physics puzzle/3D platformer)

Insta-Buy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHYfZ48Uzuc

Now I have to pick 4 more
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 09-09-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #605
KO Gilligan

In June Tiny & Big was added to an existing Humble Bundle 8 and I guess I missed it due to excitement over the serious sam weekly bundle

Bought:
Dyad, Driftmoon, Tiny & Big, Stacking, and Puddle

$12

My kids will like Stacking and Puddle
Old 09-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #606
fast-1

They don't give you much to pick.
That sale is a bit crap.

Already got Alan Wake and the DLC.
Shit DLC, down load content.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #607
KO Gilligan

Doing back-ups of my games on DVDs.

The Witcher 2 download from GOG is a total of over 25GB with the add-ons.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #608
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT View Post
I assume Torchlight is more entertaining?
It's made by the same people who made Diablo 1 & 2 (made by Blizzard North). A lot better than Diablo 3 (made by WoW developers), I'll say that. It has everything that Diablo 3 should have left out (eg. no repair bills, no auction house, no RMAH, no gear checks, no gold farming, offline play option, farm bosses for loot, not farm elite packs with OP combinations for loot, etc).
Last edited by Jeff; 09-13-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #609
Kennerado

I have been using GOG for ages, What are the chances of seeing any of the classic LucasArts games on there like Full Throttle, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle etc? I'm guessing pretty slim.... I would love to play the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games again as well.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #610
KO Gilligan

It's opening day at the DRM free Xmas sale at GOG.COM
If it's the same as last year, this means three things:

• Bring your wallet
• The site is slow and overwhelmed with traffic
• All the sale items are up - from the looks of it, those may be the lowest prices (like when they had days with all the bundles listed) but they may throw out some additional bundle deals or something.

http://www.gog.com/games

I'm not taking any chances - they may actually slow feed those deals a few at a time starting tomorrow. I'm grabbing a few deals now.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #611
Thief

Picked up Rise of the Triad and Project Eden for $8 total.
Hoping for a bigger sale on Guacamelee. Might also get Volgarr the Viking.

Giving Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics for free is pretty awesome.

The 30 Day Money Back Guarantee for all games is awesome as well.
We choose our profession in defiance of the greed of the monarchy. We will not live for the sake of taxes to fatten the nobles' pockets. We choose to live the only life available to those who would truly be free. We are Thieves.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #612
KO Gilligan

I was right about the first day having better deals on all the games. All the games are on sale, but they'll bring those same (even lower) prices back in the upcoming bundles. They'll probably mark them all down again at the end.

For example, opening day Shadow Warrior was $9.99, now it's $26.66, they'll put it in a bundle before XMas, and it'll be lower again.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #613
Thief

The way the pack deals work are tricky.

I remember the first day... the 'Modern' pack which contained Shadow Warrior, ROTT, and Dragon Commander to name a few...they all had huge discounts, which remained even if purchasing the games individually (why I got RotT for $5). Today, however, in the 'Roguelikelike' pack, unticking one from the pack causes the rest to drop from a 70% discount to only 50%. That blows! I was looking forward to picking up Spelunky today for $5, but now I don't think I will...or will I?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #614
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief View Post
The way the pack deals work are tricky.

I remember the first day... the 'Modern' pack which contained Shadow Warrior, ROTT, and Dragon Commander to name a few...they all had huge discounts, which remained even if purchasing the games individually (why I got RotT for $5). Today, however, in the 'Roguelikelike' pack, unticking one from the pack causes the rest to drop from a 70% discount to only 50%. That blows! I was looking forward to picking up Spelunky today for $5, but now I don't think I will...or will I?
The first day they fired up all the deals at the lowest price (the individual price contained in the bundle was also available as a piece) - then all the deals go to like 50% or whatever they decide, and the additional discount is only available in the bundle. When they post all the bundles again at the end, you might again get better ~70% off piece prices as well. If I were to predict this year, I'd say if they do really well on all the bundles, they may keep the deeper cuts in the bundles only. But they did throw up all the bundles at the end, last year - I expect that will happen

So far this sale I've swooped up several free games, including the Fallout games - Amazon Queen - Stargunner,
I purchased Anachronox,
Giana Sisters Overlord (Giana Sister games rule),
Earthworm Jim games,
Urban Chaos (was cool for it's time),
and Total Overdose (underrated - suffers from console design, but it's fun, and you get to drive everything, even a taco cart)
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-16-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #615
KO Gilligan

They threw up several bundles, and on a few, but not all, you can get the full 70-75% off without the price changing by removing other games... (shadow Warrior is back at $9.99 if you do this).
http://www.gog.com/
Actually
I think the prices here are all adjusted as well (some are only 50% though):
http://www.gog.com/games##sort=added

TRINE for .99 is an instant buy - I have it on Steam, but I grabbed it DRM free today with some bonus goodies
Last edited by KO Gilligan; 12-18-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #616
KO Gilligan

http://www.gog.com/luckoftheirish

Pick 5 games from the list get 75% off
(you'll end up paying about $10-$15 for 5 games

The Alan Wake games are in there - some cool platformers (grab Gianna Sisters if you haven't)

I've been interested in The Swapper - the graphics are Claymation/Real Object created animations, and there's a body swap mechanic that looks pretty cool.

You've got less than 2 day left.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:27 AM   #617
Waiter

Just bought Empire Earth II Gold Edition. Could have had it for 1/5 of the price a week ago, but failed.

Hate their DL speed cap.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:08 AM   #618
Waiter

Summer sales with offers changing on an hourly basis. Pure evil.

Just got Age of Wonders 1 and 2. Turns out I confused them with Age of Mythology...
Old 06-16-2014, 05:28 AM   #619
Rapture_Rising

Looks like everyone is getting their summer sales over before Steam this year. Green Man Gaming has just finished theirs.

Meh, i am over these sales.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #620
Kalki

Seasonal sales are a useful reminder of all the games I bought but haven't played.
"Gentlemen, generations to follow will see us as the first pioneers of the internet. They will look upon our days as those of brave spirits and free ideals - where men were men, women were men and children were the FBI."

Free Speech
Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #621
MAT

Yeah, it's a terrible waste of money. So many 'indie' games bought over the years, such as To The Moon or Machinarium, that have never been touched afterwards.

One must simply get hold of himself.

How do you take someone seriously when their sig is the machine stats? -Tea Monster
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #622
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

I haven't been excited for an online sale in years.
It was nice when Steam first started it because it gave you a chance to grab games you couldn't afford before.

But now, with Summer and Winter sales... and the other odd sale here and there, it's far too easy to get games. And as such, the sales have lost a lot of their impact.
I didn't buy anything (for myself, I bought gifts for friends) on Steam's last Summer or Winter sales last year, and I don't see myself buying anything this year.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-18-2014, 08:00 AM   #623
KO Gilligan

I'll be buying the stuff Damien has already played in the Steam Winter sale.

... I picked up the Rayman games, and the Octodad games for the kids.

I grabbed DeusEX, Summoner, Rune, Bloodrayne2. Probably grab the Unreal games, and some RPG favorites. Don't really care if I own them already - I support GOG and having DRM free versions - so when the games are only $2, it's hard to resist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT View Post
Yeah, it's a terrible waste of money. So many 'indie' games bought over the years, such as To The Moon or Machinarium, that have never been touched afterwards.

One must simply get hold of himself.
Have you tried Tiny and Big:Grandpa's Leftovers ? Get it for a dollar (Steam version) over at Greenman Gaming today - it's a must play. You might even try the 20%off coupon code if you're really a cheapass gamer like me.

It'll be 79 cents for one of the best Indie physics games there is.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #624
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Well, ya got a short list then as all I've gotten is Thief and Wolf: TNO.

And the only things I'm interested in for the rest of the year.... The Evil Within and Alien: Isolation.
This is a ******* weak year.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #625
dan2091

I do want to see how they conclude the Arkham trilogy .

Also, did I miss a Deus Ex sale? I want to get the GOTY so I can finally own and listen to that awesome Deus Ex soundtrack.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:50 PM   #626
MAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Gilligan View Post
Have you tried Tiny and Big:Grandpa's Leftovers ? Get it for a dollar (Steam version) over at Greenman Gaming today - it's a must play. You might even try the 20%off coupon code if you're really a cheapass gamer like me.

It'll be 79 cents for one of the best Indie physics games there is.
It's also $1 on Steam today, but I'll pass. It looks like another game I will never play.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #627
Waiter

Today suddenly 30 bundles on sale instead of the usual 2. Got the Settlers bundle. Thinking about Two Worlds but I'm not sure it will give me anything I'm not getting in Skyrim...
Old 06-30-2014, 07:57 AM   #628
KO Gilligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
Also, did I miss a Deus Ex sale? I want to get the GOTY so I can finally own and listen to that awesome Deus Ex soundtrack.
($2.49 today)
http://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex
Snap... just jumped up to $10 again. Summer sale days are now over -
The website is back to normal.

Amazon has some sweet deals including this in the DEUS EX:GOTY for $3.49. I think it's Steam - not sure if you get the soundtrack.

My current GOG library ( only a few useless items )

Last edited by KO Gilligan; 06-30-2014 at 07:41 AM.