Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Rise of the Triad (1995) Source Code
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 05-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
rjstephens
ROTT on Gameboy Advance?
Hi
I ama programmer, and plan to soon be attempting to port ROTT to a new platform: Gameboy Advance.

It should be possible, because Duke Nukem and Doom are both available for GBA, and Duke Nukem was on Colour gameboy. (however, i've never played these, so i don't know how good they are)

However, this will be my first GBA project. Has anyone attempted to do this before?

i did a search on the net and found a nice-looking site on gba development:

http://gbadev.org/

any help appreciated.
Old 05-24-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
jbailey

Re: ROTT on Gameboy Advance?
If your going to attempt this sort of thing, you might want to download a gba emulator so you can test your work on your pc:

http://www.gbaemu.com/

Good luck in your porting!

jbailey

http://www.riseofthetriad.dk/DL_GlROTT.htm

jbailey
Old 05-24-2003, 10:30 AM   #3
PlayfulPuppy
We discussed the possibilities of this a while ago, but there are problems facing the actual way of getting the ROTT data files onto the GBA port.

It's not legal for us to re-compile the ROTT data as it's a copyright infringment, so if we put the files onto it we'd have to leave the files intact. About the only way it's been decided this could be done is using some of the GBA roms that support a filesystem, but even then it would be INCREDIBLY difficult to get it running correctly.

You may want to hunt out the old topic, but good luck nonetheless!
Old 01-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
subbie
Quote:
PlayfulPuppy said:
We discussed the possibilities of this a while ago, but there are problems facing the actual way of getting the ROTT data files onto the GBA port.

It's not legal for us to re-compile the ROTT data as it's a copyright infringment, so if we put the files onto it we'd have to leave the files intact. About the only way it's been decided this could be done is using some of the GBA roms that support a filesystem, but even then it would be INCREDIBLY difficult to get it running correctly.

You may want to hunt out the old topic, but good luck nonetheless!
I am a GBA coder and I have to heavly disagree on the difficulty of writing a file system for the GBA. It's not very difficult at all and we even have one writen for gba at work. Hell we even wrote a simple one for ps1 (mostly because we wanted to stream data packs in and not small files all over the cd) to speed up loading times.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
Diddl
it would be very nice to see rott on my gba. i have a f2a flash card to test if nessecary.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
peter_m_green
if you don't need to write to the filesystem you could use something as simple as zip or even grp.

most complexity in filesystems comes from random read/write/resize/delete capability you don't need this just something that can be built on a pc and burnt to the rom.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Eddy Willson
Best of luck with the port

What would be great is if you could offer the port including the ShareWare levels as a free .gba rom download, then offer the other version in whatever form.

If i was a preteen id probably love you too - Fat John

AcornArcade
---------------
The Icon Bar
Old 02-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #8
peter_m_green
i don't think its allowed to distribute modified versions of the shareware release

just ship an installer that builds your game data files into some kind of archive and combines that with the executable code to made the rom file.