Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Duke Nukem
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
TheLazenby
Christmas Village - unfinished level?
Something struck me as odd in "Nuclear Winter"... is Christmas Village only a half-finished level?

Besides the fact that it's extremely short compared to the rest of the levels in the three add-on packs, there's a second red key that doesn't appear to have a purpose, as well as a HUGE area (past Santa's balcony) that is totally inaccessible. In fact, trying to DNCLIP out there will immediately warp you back to "Deja Vu".

So what's the deal with this level? Was it a user map that they scaled down for some reason, or something??
Old 04-01-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Hendricks266
Re: Christmas Village - unfinished level?
Hmm. That sounds very freaky. I will look into expanding it for the NWHRP map-patching process.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #3
Hendricks266
I have an update.

Looking through the map in Mapster32, I see that there are some very poorly placed respawn points, like behind the yellow keycard door—the only thing behind there is the nuke icon. Perhaps the unnecessary red keycard behind the blue keycard door is to circumvent a MP problem like that.

Going down “The Slopes” will take you to an area with the good red keycard on a ledge.

As for the large area behind Santa's balcony, all it is is Santa's runway. The only thing special back there is an arrow pointing in the direction opposite the shed. Perhaps the warping back to Déjà Vu was a way of saying “DON'T CHEAT!”.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
SonnyBonds

I really don't like that expansion, Life's a Beach is much better.
Old 04-03-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Telee

DC was my favorite.

Nuclear Winter is actually pretty good if you don't compare it to the others - the level design may not be the best but I thought it had pretty nice gameplay. Duke!Zone was below average too but if you ignore the design it's pretty fun. Should try it out again sometime.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:54 AM   #6
Kennerado

Like I have said before, Life's a Beach was so fun to play and the levels were very creative.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:02 AM   #7
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telee View Post
Nuclear Winter is actually pretty good if you don't compare it to the others - the level design may not be the best but I thought it had pretty nice gameplay. Duke!Zone was below average too but if you ignore the design it's pretty fun. Should try it out again sometime.
I don't know about you, but I want things I play to just be fun, without me having to ignore anything or think "well if I don't think about thàt game in comparison it's still pretty cool!".

If I have to ignore crappy design in order to have fun it's just not a good pack.