Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > General Topics > General Messages
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
dan2091

So, how's crime in your country?
I live in Guayaquil, Ecuador, South America. Last friday some motherfuc*ers (that's the only name I can think they deserve) got in the bus I always take to go to the university; they waited for the best moment and started to ask for phones and everything to everyone.

So, as I almost never take my cellphone out of the house (because I know they will steal it), they didn't take anything from me, so I was lucky.

Five days later, today, I took the same bus, at the same hour, and the same guys went up. Sigh... I didn't know if I should get out of the bus or just stay (as I didn't have nothing of value either that day), so I was like 'no way! I paid for the bus and so I'm staying'.

It's not about the things you may lost, but rather the violence you have to live. The most outrageous thing is that it's the SAME guys, in the very SAME place....... In less than five days .

Thankfully, they weren't that violent. Months ago, in the same bus, two guys went up and they were very mean. Someone told me not to worry, as this stuff doesn't compare at all to the 'terrorism' the middle east is inmersed in. And I say thanks for that.

So, how's crime in your town? I'd like to know what's your situation, guys. Hopefully, you don't live any of this (I'd envy you ).
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Sang

Re: So, how's crime in your country?
I hear crimes do happen in Belgium but I can safely say I have never been the victim or even witness of one. I have heard "rumors" that the place I live in is a common route for drug traficking but I dunno. Guess most crime is in and around Brussels.

While of course crimes do happen in this country and in other places I'd say it's fairly tame compared to what I hear from stuff that happens elsewhere in the world.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
crunchy superman

Not much crime to speak of in these parts - good thing about living in a small town I guess. Also, nobody around here would be crazy enough to hold up folks on a bus like that - half of us are armed.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
Kristian Joensen

Well here one of the biggest news items in the last month or so has been the first murder case in about 23 years, really shocking. You have to consider though that we are talking about a country with a population of approximately 48k people. But still it is relatively safe here.

But crimes certainly exist here, stuff like assault and domestic disturbances, drugs and drunk driving aren't even remotely as rare as murder but still probably much rarer than some other countries even on a per capita basis.

There is always SOMETHING happening every weekend when people get drunk and stuff. Like broken windows or what not. Drunks spending the night at the police station. That is the sort of think our police get some experience with. But I feel just about 100% safe 100% of the time. Here it is relatively common that people don't lock their doors when they go out.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #5
8IronBob

Well, typical Cleveland crimes here... Stealing of copper pipes out of vacant homes, bank robberies, an occasional domestic violence issue... Let alone one of the biggest murder cases in the country, if you've heard of the Anthony Sowell/Cleveland Strangler case, heh... That was a biggie. Oh yeah, and perhaps one of the biggest local government scandals in the Cuyahoga County investigation trials. So yeah, certainly not a perfect area here... Thought about moving, but just don't have the willpower at the moment.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
Jeff

Canada is pretty safe. One of the reasons for that is we don't allow people to have guns unless for hunting stuff. Guns for protection are usually reserved for the police.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
dan2091

Thanks fo your ans guys. It's great to read about it. My girlfriend has told me many times to aim for Canada. I wish I could move to a more quiet, peacefull place.

Speaking of my girlfriend, she was kidnapped a month or so ago in a taxi , and so were two cousins some months before. You can't trust taxies now. At least this is not Sao Paulo, I've read (I haven't been there thought) that it is very common tha you get kidnapped in a taxi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy superman View Post
Not much crime to speak of in these parts - good thing about living in a small town I guess. Also, nobody around here would be crazy enough to hold up folks on a bus like that - half of us are armed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Canada is pretty safe. One of the reasons for that is we don't allow people to have guns unless for hunting stuff. Guns for protection are usually reserved for the police.
You can't carry weapons here as well. That would be a pretty neat idea if they checked everyone constantly, but it's not the case. So, everyone knows you're unarmed, bang! Easy target .
Old 01-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Sang

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2091 View Post
Speaking of my girlfriend, she was kidnapped a month or so ago in a taxi , and so were two cousins some months before.
Oh man, I hope nothing serious happened
Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
dan2091

Thankfully, nothing happened. She didn't had money so, they only took her cellphone. Other than that, the experience itself was very terrifying, she says.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Baystream

It's fine! Thanks for asking
Old 02-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
Nessus

I live in New York City and although I've seen and heard about every kind of crime you can think of I feel safe. I live in an Asian neighborhood where you can walk in the park at midnight. Plus in the last 20 years or so New York has new policies that don't let people hang out on corners getting drunk and high and this stops a lot of street crime.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
Thriller

I live in Linköping, Sweden, for the passed three years.

I once saw a guy scream at another guy. The other guy might have screamed something back, I dont remember, it all happened so quickly.

"I thought everyone i Sweden looked like Duke Nukem...." - GreedyFly 2001
Old 02-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
crunchy superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
I live in Linköping, Sweden, for the passed three years.

I once saw a guy scream at another guy. The other guy might have screamed something back, I dont remember, it all happened so quickly.
Dude, you should leave that powder keg before you get killed. Brave man.