3D Realms Anthology

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > 3D Realms Anthology
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 11-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Lunick Fiore

3D Realms Anothology being removed from Steam
So at the end of the "new" trailer for the anthology, it mentions that it will be removed from Steam at the end of the year. Why? Will the 3D Realms store be affected too?

You can see the trailer here (you only need to skip to the end since the trailer is the same)
Old 11-26-2015, 11:49 PM   #2
MrBlackCat

Re: 3D Realms Anothology being removed from Steam
Having lost the flagship Duke Nukem IP, I suppose the concept of an Anthology is kind of bust anyway.
An anthology without Duke Nukem would just be "wrong" I think.

I know the terms are under NDA, but from this perspective, this whole situation seems really messed up.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
:)
Old 11-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
Nukkus

I've decided not to buy anything from Gearbox ever again.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Mark1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukkus View Post
I've decided not to buy anything from Gearbox ever again.
Same here. I just don't like the way they do business. I have to wonder if they'll eventually get themselves into a situation that their impressive legal team can't get them out of.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
MrBlackCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1.0 View Post
Same here. I just don't like the way they do business. I have to wonder if they'll eventually get themselves into a situation that their impressive legal team can't get them out of.
We really don't know the whole story as it isn't public... just sayin.

MrBlackCat

*(Not really, sometimes I wear my Time to Kill t-shirt... like while I am washing my other Duke shirts for instance.)
Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #6
Nukkus

What else could it be though? Nothing really comes to mind.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:52 AM   #7
Rapture_Rising

Gearbox aren't the only bad ones here, which company tried to release a Duke Nukem game they thought they could release on a technicality? Gearbox is only protecting their IP, if you owned it you would do the same.

All 3D Realms had to do was talk it over with Gearbox before development started and i am sure GB would have allowed the game to be released with minimal input or money spent from Gearbox.

The Anthology on Steam is a mess, instead of bundling the games into one package like the one you can buy from the 3DR store, they released all the games separately and for those with large libraries these games only get lost.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
Mark1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlackCat View Post
We really don't know the whole story as it isn't public... just sayin.
I agree, especially with regard to the Duke situation. I'm not on a crusade against them, I just have enough questions about their practices that I don't think I want to support them.

My opinions of Gearbox are based more on the Aliens:Colonial Marines situation, anyway. I thought there was more than enough evidence in that situation for it to be clear what happened. I'm satisfied that Gearbox was dishonest, and that the only thing Sega did wrong was to release a long-delayed product in hopes of recouping their investment. Somehow Gearbox was able to wash their hands of it and walk away.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:43 PM   #9
MrBlackCat

Yes... that is a good way to say it (Rapture_Rising)...
I would say the intent of the original transfer which DID include the clause about completing unfinished games in development was not meant to allow competing products.
Duke 3D and any Build Engine type stuff is not going to even be associated with a modern Duke Nukem brand game... but something made to run on current gen, at current gen levels I don't think was the intention of the original agreement where 3D Realms kept distribution rights to the games from the 90's.

With GearBox now owning all the rights, there doesn't have to be any gray area for them to worry about. Logical move on their part.

There is a LOT of difference between finishing old games from the 90's and what was about to happen with Duke Nukem/Bombshell.

What I am trying to say is that I believe it went something like this...
Some time in 2009...
3DR "We would like to retain the rights to all our old Duke Nukem games."
GearBox "Sure, and we will complete Duke Nukem Forever and hold rights to any future Duke Nukem titles, with the exception of your uncompleted Build stuff from the 90's."
3DR "Sounds good to us... see you later, we are going to go wallow around in our games from the companies peak and put them on modern systems... cause they are old and all... like from the 90's."
GearBox "Ok... good luck."

Two years later...
3D Realms prepares to release a modern Duke Nukem game, which is most certainly not from the 90's.

GearBox "WTH?!" <insert Legal Action>

This is entirely my opinion based on my perception of the few stated facts we got during the Duke Nukem Forever IP Transfer.

MrBlackCat

Last edited by MrBlackCat; 11-30-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #10
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Lets not forget that 3DRealms (the old 3DR) was always quick as hell to shut down any fan made project based on Duke.
Any mods to recreate Duke in newer engines were shut down almost instantly. 3DR (George and Scott) were always incredibly protective of the IP, and all their IPs.

Yet, now that Gearbox has control of the Duke IP... and the Anthology is being removed, GBX has now become satan almost. And, there's nothing even confirmed about this being the reason why.
There's nothing about The Megaton Edition being removed, GBX has no part in that. Nothing about the Platformer pack with DN1, 2 and Manhattan... and they aren't going anywhere.

Sorry, but neither Fred or 3DR have said why it's being removed.
And, blaming Gearbox is an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. The deal between 3DR and GBX could be a reason, it could not. We don't know. And until a statement is made, we won't know.
So it's pointless to blindly point a finger and be like, "It's their fault!!". That doesn't do anyone any good in this industry.

I like Gearbox. I love the Brothers in Arms series, their Half-Life expansions were awesome, and Borderlands 1 and 2 are great. Yes, A:CM was a disappointment, and the way SEGA (yes, SEGA, if you believe GBX was able to make decisions such as the ones made about a game they didn't even own without the approval of the owners...) and GBX handled it was disappointing.

But, one flawed release is not enough to overshadow all the great games they've given. If one game was all it took... I'd be hard pressed to find more then one developed I'd be able to still follow.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 12-06-2015, 02:01 AM   #11
Xantheous

I wonder if the anthology is being removed from Steam only, or also from 3drealms.com?
Old 12-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #12
Damien_Azreal
Super Moderator

Guys. Use the "Report Post" button.
Do not reply, discuss or argue directly in the thread.

Upcoming Anticipated Games: Doom, Shadow Warrior 2, Mafia III, DisHonored 2, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Old 12-09-2015, 02:49 AM   #13
Xantheous

Another thought I had... could the reason that the anthology won't be sold on Steam after Jan 1, 2016 be that the games will be sold on Steam only individually from now on? Maybe it wasn't selling well as a package, and with so many requests from people to just buy specific games from the anthology, maybe all the games in the anthology will soon be available as separate purchases? Just a thought. Would be great if we could get some official word on this.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:03 AM   #14
Lunick Fiore

If they continue selling them separately then I hope they make the freeware titles free and not removed either.
Old 12-11-2015, 08:05 PM   #15
Xantheous

Exclamation Re: 3D Realms Anothology being removed from Steam
I emailed 3D Realms about the anthology situation and Mike Nielsen (3DR CEO & President) replied to me. Here are the key points he mentioned:
  • The 3D Realms Anthology is being discontinued for sale from both Steam and 3DRealms.com "in its current form due to changes in ownership on some of the central titles in the pack" on January 1st, 2016.
  • Anyone who has purchased the anthology from 3DRealms.com will still be able to download all the games they bought in the anthology from 3DRealms.com after January 1st. Same idea for those who own the Steam version, they will still be able to download and play their anthology Steam games also after January 1st.
  • He also said: "We are considering creating another bundle deal with the remaining games, however, nothing is decided yet in this regard."
Old 12-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #16
Lunick Fiore

Thanks for that Xantheous
Old 12-29-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
Mizuki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantheous View Post
  • The 3D Realms Anthology is being discontinued for sale from both Steam and 3DRealms.com "in its current form due to changes in ownership on some of the central titles in the pack" on January 1st, 2016.
The current caption contest ends after January 1st and the prize is the Steam anthology. I wonder how that's going to work...
Old 12-30-2015, 02:13 AM   #18
Xantheous

Lightbulb Re: 3D Realms Anothology being removed from Steam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuki View Post
The current caption contest ends after January 1st and the prize is the Steam anthology. I wonder how that's going to work...
Steam keys for the 3D Realms Anthology can still be redeemed as long as codes are still available. 3D Realms would have some codes, as well as some online Steam key retailers, until they run out or sell out.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:50 PM   #19
Scotty

2015 isn't over yet in the USA, but it looks like the Anthology has been pulled, both at 3DR and on Steam.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:56 PM   #20
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuki View Post
I forgot about that when I set that up. I'll have to come up with some alternate prize.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 01-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #21
Lunick Fiore

R.i.p.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:55 PM   #22
Robman

Question:

I got the Anthology on Steam but have yet to download it, it's still good to be downloaded, no?
Old 01-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #23
nbajammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robman View Post
Question:

I got the Anthology on Steam but have yet to download it, it's still good to be downloaded, no?
If you own it on Steam, you will be able to download and play it.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #24
Robman

ok good, thankyou
Old 01-03-2016, 05:44 PM   #25
evilemperorzorg

Quite a while since my last post...

Was wondering... who the hell owns old Duke Nukem games? 3D Realms or Gearbox? Or no one : P

I read today Duke classic games will be removed from GOG and they were also removed from 3D Realms anthology.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #26
The Duke Returns

Gearbox owns all the rights to Duke Nukem Now