Forum Archive

Go Back   3D Realms Forums > 3D Realms Topics > Other Apogee/3D Realms Games > Max Payne
Blogs FAQ Community Calendar

Notices

Old 07-16-2002, 05:39 PM   #1
(Egg) Max discovers he\'s in a computer game
Dunno if this has been posted or not (couldn't find it doing a forum search) and it might only be in the Xbox version, though I doubt it. But here it goes.

In the prologue to Part Three, Max discovershe's actually in a computer game! You are aware that you're supposed to check the letter and then the telephone, then head out the door. But if you follow these instructions instead, Max will discover his true polygon self.

1. Pick up the telephone.
2. Listen to the random garbage.
3. Exit the room.

-- You will be warped BACK INTO THE ROOM instead of entering your hallway in Jersey.

4. Read the letter on the table. It will read "You are in a computer game." The storyboard that appears is something like this:

Panel 1:
(Max reading Letter): "You are in a computer game."

Panel 2:
(Max's voice): "Suddenly it all made sense."
(Fadein screenshot of the game Max Payne with Weapon Selection menu open)
(Max's voice, cont'd): "Weapons statistics hanging above me, a view of myself in the corner of my eye. Action slowing down, watching the bullets fly by."

Panel 3:
(Max): "I was in a computer game. Funny as hell as it was I couldn't bring myself to laugh."

5. Pick up the phone. Max will be yelling through the receiver: "The Valkyr's got you! It's the drugs, don't let them get to you! Snap out of it!" Nonetheless, it's exactly the same as before. "It was nonsense, a prank call..."

Old 07-16-2002, 06:05 PM   #2
Bruce Hamilton
Re: (Egg) Max discovers he\'s in a computer game
No, the PC version has that as well...

[ 07-16-2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Bruce Hamilton ]
How do you expect anyone to remember your name, if you can't spell it right yourself, Broussard? It's basic positioning... None of that matters... It'll be done when it's done.... It's the spirit of the law, not the letter.
Old 07-17-2002, 12:50 PM   #3
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

It's not really an egg, either. You get it as part of the regular game. Don't have to do anything special to find it.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-21-2002, 09:42 AM   #4
shadow fox
Quote:
Originally posted by DCrazy:
Dunno if this has been posted or not (couldn't find it doing a forum search) and it might only be in the Xbox version, though I doubt it. But here it goes.

In the prologue to Part Three, Max discovershe's actually in a computer game! You are aware that you're supposed to check the letter and then the telephone, then head out the door. But if you follow these instructions instead, Max will discover his true polygon self.

1. Pick up the telephone.
2. Listen to the random garbage.
3. Exit the room.

-- You will be warped BACK INTO THE ROOM instead of entering your hallway in Jersey.

4. Read the letter on the table. It will read "You are in a computer game." The storyboard that appears is something like this:

Panel 1:
(Max reading Letter): "You are in a computer game."

Panel 2:
(Max's voice): "Suddenly it all made sense."
(Fadein screenshot of the game Max Payne with Weapon Selection menu open)
(Max's voice, cont'd): "Weapons statistics hanging above me, a view of myself in the corner of my eye. Action slowing down, watching the bullets fly by."

Panel 3:
(Max): "I was in a computer game. Funny as hell as it was I couldn't bring myself to laugh."

5. Pick up the phone. Max will be yelling through the receiver: "The Valkyr's got you! It's the drugs, don't let them get to you! Snap out of it!" Nonetheless, it's exactly the same as before. "It was nonsense, a prank call..."
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">max was not the one yelling
Old 07-21-2002, 08:09 PM   #5
Jester89
It's also in the PS2 version aswell.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:48 AM   #6
Joe Siegler
3D Realms Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Jester89:
It's also in the PS2 version aswell.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's in all versions - again, it's not any kind of easter egg. An Easter Egg by definition is something hidden, something you're not supposed to find normally.

This thing is part of the normal progression of the game, you don't have to do anything special to find/see it.

"Lifting up the Cross to the waiting lost" - Petra | John 3:16
Old 07-22-2002, 02:29 PM   #7
Jester89
I know it's not an EGG! But when I first came about it, it scared me half to death.